PDA

View Full Version : Buy and Sell

Metla
16-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have long been of the thought that a buy and sell section of the forum would be an excellent idea, Due to the obvious difficulties this would present it has I would imagine zero chance of being implemented.

So i have been mulling over the idea of setting up a page on my website where trusted/respected/outlawed/derided etc etc members of Pressf1 could list second hand items for sale.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Got stuff to sell?

I still have a few considerations to work through on my end before i decide to make it a reality,and it may not even work but the subject/concept is now offically open for discussion.

The buy and sell would of course be no way affiliated with Pressf1 nor would the site suggest so,It would just be another resouce available to users of the forum.

Biggles
16-02-2005, 01:06 PM
You go for it. We've discussed it ourselves but it's not on any plan here. Let the free market decide I say.

bartsdadhomer
16-02-2005, 01:11 PM
cool

Sb0h
16-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Great idea, I'm all for it.

:thumbs:

Murray P
16-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Good idea Met's.

JJJJJ
16-02-2005, 02:16 PM
On the surface a very good idea.But will it need some monitoring!!!
Jack

Metla
16-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Been discussing it with one of my...er....advisors.

What we are looking at is if someone wants to list an item then they will need to contact me via PM through this forum,an account will then be created for them that gives them access to a control panel where they can list the item they have for sale,At the end of the item description will be a contact button which will link a prospective buyer straight through to the seller/lister.

Once an account has been created for a seller then they will have free access for the life of the site to list any items they want to dispose of.

Commerial interests and full price items will of course not be allowed for anyone apart from myself.....which will mean a Computer medic banner and the odd item for sale.

Thats what Im thinking anyhow.

mejobloggs
16-02-2005, 04:06 PM
nice

intel hunter
16-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Good Idea Metla,

I have a few things to get rid of. I hope it works. :thumbs:

Regards Fred

the highlander
16-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Outstanding idea.I'd be a goer for it.

E|im
16-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I like the idea. How are you going to implement it though?

Could become tedious replying to all those PMs for signup Metla.

Do people like trading with outlawed users? What are they anyway? :lol:

EX-WESTY
16-02-2005, 07:30 PM
I've got a URL for you to use Metla

www.trademe.co.nz

already setup and maybe a lot less hassle :thumbs:

Greg
17-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Great idea.

Stuff Trademe - I'd never deal through them. Having to pay a fee just to list an item then pay them a commission? Not bloody likely!

JJJJJ
17-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Regardless of who does it or how it is done, there is a strong demand for somewhere to advertise things for sale. Private sale that is. Non commercial.
There's realy nowhere at the moment.
And don't mention Trade Me. :groan: :groan: :groan:
Jack

Biggles
17-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Don't need anything as compliacted as an auction site. Just a simple classified for buy sell and swap. Metla would likely have the odd hassle/disbute to settle but I'd say he's equipped to deal with that.

Metla
17-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Alrighty,Work has started on the database,and layout ideas are being thrown around, Though initially it will start off pretty basic.

The plan is to host it as part of the medic site but if it garners enough attention then it will have its own URL.

Which brings us to the name.

Anyone have any cunning ides for a name?

JJJJJ
17-02-2005, 04:58 PM
You don't need a cunning name. Just say what it is.
"Buy Sell Or Exchange" woud do nicely.
Jack

Metla
17-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh, I definitly need a cunning name.

Looking far further ahead.

1.I would like it to be related to comps
2.Would have to make sense as a url
3.Would have to look inviting when dragged up by a bot/search engine
4.Can't be to long.

FoxyMX
17-02-2005, 05:34 PM
What we are looking at is if someone wants to list an item then they will need to contact me via PM through this forum,an account will then be created for them that gives them access to a control panel where they can list the item they have for sale
And what happens when you are banned from the forum and no one is able to PM you? It would get rather inconvenient when the ban period increases with each offence... :stare:

Rob99
17-02-2005, 05:59 PM
computerbits

metlas-outlet

And I'm still thinking. :thumbs:

4bes
17-02-2005, 06:25 PM
computerbits

metlas-outlet

And I'm still thinking. :thumbs:

computerbits is good

a few more suggestions:

bits&bytes

or

bits&buytes

Chilling_Silence
17-02-2005, 06:31 PM
I'd be keen for it too :-)

bartsdadhomer
17-02-2005, 06:36 PM
And what happens when you are banned from the forum and no one is able to PM you? It would get rather inconvenient when the ban period increases with each offence... :stare:

LOL, might as well can the idea now, we'll never be able to contact him:D

personthingy
17-02-2005, 06:50 PM
LOL, might as well can the idea now, we'll never be able to contact him:D :eek: Ahhhhhh! Sounds a bit fatalistic to me... :eek:
Anyways, once set up i'm sure we could be real clever and use metla@metlas-interweb-thingy.whatever or (shock horror) www.metlas-interweb-thingy.whatever to check/add to the site!
:D

Murray P
17-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Compubits, Bits & Bytes or similar are already taken.

I take it anything alluding to pink, slippers and fluffy wouldn't get past the CFO (no financial didn't enter my head) :xmouth:

How about MetalicBytes? drop the e to shorten. You could then consider selling sound bytes of a certain sort. Or MetalPC, PC-Metal, PC-Metalware, with subs off those to denote the various sections, uh-oh! another monster in the breeding :D

If you have to PM to list stuff, don't get banned. That was easy to sort wasn't it, no problems.

EX-WESTY
17-02-2005, 08:44 PM
PM'ed you an idea Metla and it's not taken so i won't list it here just yet.

AMD1
17-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Once an account has been created for a seller then they will have free access for the life of the site to list any items they want to dispose of.

Commerial interests and full price items will of course not be allowed for anyone apart from myself.....which will mean a Computer medic banner and the odd item for sale.

That is interesting. Then you go on to say.
Re: Buy and Sell

4.Can't be to long.

Now in the first post you say that any item can be disposed of. Then in item 1 you want it related to computers so that means I can’t get rid of my perfectly good Landrover or a Clariss Cliff plate?

Going to item 2 what do you think makes sense as an URL which we all know stands for Uniform Resource Locator. A cunning name suits in some ways but not always which of course brings me to point 3.

Point 3 has to do with web site design, keywords does it not?

Oh. The “cunning name” Why not use “ computermedic.co.nz” ? Maybe that was too long of course?

E|im
17-02-2005, 09:10 PM
PressF1, ImageF1, ChatF1, TradeF1.

Metla
17-02-2005, 09:36 PM

That is interesting. Then you go on to say.
Re: Buy and Sell

4.Can't be to long.

Now in the first post you say that any item can be disposed of. Then in item 1 you want it related to computers so that means I can’t get rid of my perfectly good Landrover or a Clariss Cliff plate?

Going to item 2 what do you think makes sense as an URL which we all know stands for Uniform Resource Locator. A cunning name suits in some ways but not always which of course brings me to point 3.

Point 3 has to do with web site design, keywords does it not?

Oh. The “cunning name” Why not use “ computermedic.co.nz” ? Maybe that was too long of course?

eh?

Do you have a real question or suggestion?

sarel
18-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Excellent idea and good on you metla

sarel

JJJJJ
18-02-2005, 05:46 AM
KISS
Jack

Strommer
18-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Great idea.

Stuff Trademe - I'd never deal through them. Having to pay a fee just to list an item then pay them a commission? Not bloody likely!

Even community car boot sales charge vendors for selling their gear, as does Trade and Exchange, newspapers, etc. Just wondering what planet you live on? :p

J ZEP
18-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I have long been of the thought that a buy and sell section of the forum would be an excellent idea, Due to the obvious difficulties this would present it has I would imagine zero chance of being implemented.

So i have been mulling over the idea of setting up a page on my website where trusted/respected/outlawed/derided etc etc members of Pressf1 could list second hand items for sale.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Sounds like a good idea to me :thumbs:

"Metlas Megabits" :D ????

Cptn Hotshot
18-02-2005, 04:16 PM
You want a name? Metlamorphous!

John H
18-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't care what it is called, Metla. Just hope you can get it up and running. I have a few things to sell, and think your idea would make a better forum to sell computer gear in than Trade Me. Thanks for taking the initiative.

John

bartsdadhomer
18-02-2005, 07:25 PM
your name 'NAGROMMAS'
site name 'EMEDART'

Greg
19-02-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd say who cares how catchy the name is - it's gonna be a free service to PressF1'ers, and not necessarily a commercial enterprise (tho I hope in the long run it does make him some cash).

Just call it itsbloodycheap.com :thumbs:

Edward
19-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I like the TradeF1 idea

sambaird
19-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Just call it itsbloodycheap.com :thumbs:
i cant beleve that domain name isent taken :cool:
it might actuly work as the name :2cents:

J ZEP
19-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd say who cares how catchy the name is - it's gonna be a free service to PressF1'ers, and not necessarily a commercial enterprise.

Thinking along those lines, as in, if Metla decides it will be another "solely" PressF1 members service/site?

Then....

PressF1, ImageF1, ChatF1, TradeF1

I think, then, i would agree with the TradeF1 name idea, in keeping with the general theme of the other complimentary PressF1 sites kindly provided for us ;) .

My :2cents:.

Regardless, i'm looking forward to it :) - Good on you Metla ;) - i hope you get it sorted, i am sure most of us would appreciate being able to use it and also appreciate the fact you are putting your personal time into making it happen :).

beetle
19-02-2005, 02:37 PM
TradeF1

Greg
19-02-2005, 05:06 PM
TradeF1

Yes!

personthingy
19-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Yes!And on this issue i shall swing with the masses.......
www.tradef1.net.nz

;)

Metla
19-02-2005, 07:06 PM
hmmm.....I don't wan't to make it apear affiliated to Pressf1,for the same reasons I won't run it as part of the medic site,.

In other news we have a shelved project from a couple of years ago that will form a starting point,Have a look and tell me what ya think.

http://maxpowerhome.dyndns.org:9956/auspricewatch/

E|im
19-02-2005, 07:32 PM
$50 to Metla if he names it Tardme (http://www.tardme.co.nz/). ;)

Rob99
20-02-2005, 12:16 AM
In other news we have a shelved project from a couple of years ago that will form a starting point,Have a look and tell me what ya think.

http://maxpowerhome.dyndns.org:9956/auspricewatch/
Seem's to me as a great starting point, as it's already conected to a database and running.

Laura
20-02-2005, 01:26 AM
It's a great idea & an interesting thread.

One thing I'm curious about, though - if it's purely for Press F1 members, how do you restrict it to that?
Surely the Googlebots will open it up to all & sundry, making the website available to anyone who chooses certain searchwords? And then it's open slather for any prospective buyer?
And it makes so much work for metla it then can't be free?

(OK I'm just ignorant on website construction. Enlightenment please from the experts)

Metla
20-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Anyone and everyone will be able to view the page, Only people able to list items for sale will be those I grant access....i.e.- Pressf1 users

Muhahahahaha......I can feel the power corrupting me already.

Wait That happened along time ago, I blame it on The Goodies.

Oh,and for the record, Free classifieds have been tried numerous times before and failed miserably.

the highlander
20-02-2005, 04:09 AM
"Muhahahahaha......I can feel the power corrupting me already."

Darth Metla
Dark Lord of Wanganui
:lol:

Prescott
20-02-2005, 09:17 AM
you say its intended for pf1 members so i still reckon it should be called tradef1

EX-WESTY
20-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Why would somebody sell something......

It's old
It's out of date
It's been superceeded
They no longer have a use for it
It doesn't suit their purpose
It no longer works even

what effect would that have on installing such in another machine, it'd probably slow it down or stop it from running.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion the site should be called www.retardme.co.nz

:2cents:

Metla
20-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Hmmm....I am starting to sway over to the tradef1 camp.....

E|im
20-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Therefore I have come to the conclusion the site should be called www.retardme.co.nz
Especially if we get people selling their broken motherboards for $50, or Jack trying to sell his fried CPU with bent pins, or Metla trying to sell his broken glass...

Yeah www.retardme.co.nz sounds fitting. :thumbs:

JJJJJ
20-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Especially if we get people selling their broken motherboards for $50, or Jack trying to sell his fried CPU with bent pins, or Metla trying to sell his broken glass...

Yeah www.retardme.co.nz sounds fitting. :thumbs:

Yes I've three stuffed motherboards and two PCU's out in the garage.If you would like to make an offer I'm sure Metla won't mind us useing this forum for the purpose..I've also three external modems that might or might not work.
How much am I bid??????
Jack

personthingy
20-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Why would somebody sell something......

It's old
It's out of date
It's been superceeded
They no longer have a use for it
It doesn't suit their purpose
It no longer works even

what effect would that have on installing such in another machine, it'd probably slow it down or stop it from running.

:2cents: :( How sad that such a negative outlook can overlook all the positives that metlas site could provide! Hopefully the above quote was sarcasm that didn't survive my interpretation of the printed words.

There's heaps of good reasons why people sell what they no longer need, and there's plenty of people out there who may want that "old" pair of 80gig HDDs that just got made redundant by the sellers new 200 gig HDD, or perhaps a second computer for personthingy, so visitors can get email etc without interrupting personthingy at "work"

Those of us who don't need the biggest bestest fastest newest machine with a big red racing stripe are glad to get our claws on other peoples hand-me-downs, at a reasonable price of course. :D

Jeremy
20-02-2005, 08:04 PM
$50 to Metla if he names it Tardme (http://www.tardme.co.nz/). ;)
There could be several unhappy people if he did that.

JJJJJ
20-02-2005, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=personthingy"

Those of us who don't need the biggest bestest fastest newest machine with a big red racing stripe are glad to get our claws on other peoples hand-me-downs, at a reasonable price of course. :D[/QUOTE]

I just happen to have a near new computer for sale. Three auctions on trade me and the only response was from people who seem to think that second-hand means almost free.
Jack

Metla
26-02-2005, 12:00 PM
well people, we are definitly going ahead with the project, much work has been done and its all starting to come together.

2 weeks time the site will be up and running in a beta stage, where everyone can hammer it to death, then give forth there ideas,opinions,any bug reports.

What is currently under discussion is the amount of time an add will stay live, In my opinion I think a week, then the add is removed and the seller is emailed to tell them if the item is still for sale to relist it, It has been put to me that a month would be better, so have at this stage settled on a 2 week cycle.

Its still open for discussion,but many are bound to disagree no matter what the final decision is.

Colours for the site are being looked at, with blues being the likely choice,and the ability to upload a photo with the listing is in the works.

JJJJJ
26-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Good on you Metla, Don't forget I'm number 1. Pavillion for sale.
Jack

Cicero
26-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Good on you Metla, Don't forget I'm number 1. Pavillion for sale.
Jack
$352 and its mine? :)

Scouse
26-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Good luck Metla. A lot of work and probably some heart-burn ahead. :cool:

JJJJJ
26-02-2005, 08:27 PM
$352 and its mine? :)
Double it and then add a bit more.
Jack

Cicero
26-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Double it and then add a bit more.
Jack
Go on then.........$400

JJJJJ
27-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Go on then.........$400

Double it.
Jack

Metla
04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
ahem.

Progress is being made.

http://www.tradef1.co.nz/

Sam I Am
04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 6 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 2 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 5 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 7 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 8 1 Text1 $250.90

Firefox shows this. That right?

Prescott
04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
wicked, good job metla.
its good to see that you went with tradef1

Prescott
04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah im getting that too, but in the forum it doesnt do that

Metla
04-03-2005, 07:15 PM
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 6 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 2 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 5 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 7 1 Text1 $250.90
blank.gif maxpower metla@tradef1.co.nz 8 1 Text1 $250.90

Firefox shows this. That right?

Yep, we only have a shell up so far, the nest step is getting everything else up and working, then tying it all together, estimates are for another 30 solid hours of work to get her into a working state, then it will be a few weeks ironing out any bugs that crop up,and any needed configuration changes.

Um..

what else.

The forum is up.And lookin swanky.

The create account process will be automated through the site rather then via pm through this forum, though i will have to manually activate each acount.

edit.

That is to mean the selling accounts will need activation,forum sign up is just like any other

the highlander
04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
If the posting rules are anything to go by your forum should rock and roll :thumbs:
The mod looks to be one hard b@stard :D

beetle
04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
The nest step??????

:p

E|im
04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Any sanctimonious peckerheads who think they are in a position to instruct others how to behave in their presence will be banned. No one cares if you feel slighted about anything; Go tell ya mumma if you can't contain your hurt.
LOL :lol: