PDA

View Full Version : RC Car advertised on TV

george12
13-02-2005, 01:13 AM
You know that TV ad for the build-your-own RC car that goes up to 60kph for like, $5.95 per issue or something?

Anyone got any info on that, like a website or something. I want to see if it's worth it, or a total ripoff.

Cheers George

agent
13-02-2005, 01:22 AM
You'll probably find that they give you one part per $5.95 issue. Or something like that.

Tux
13-02-2005, 01:45 AM
You'll probably find that they give you one part per $5.95 issue. Or something like that.
indeed you do, and as for 60kph, i doubt it, my tamiya can barely do that, the price per issue is $16.95 and it comes with about 8 parts, so, think how many parts go into and rc car, about 150+, they are oging to be creaming it

Prescott
13-02-2005, 09:24 AM
60kph does sound like over kill, i would like to see it to belive it :)

beama
13-02-2005, 10:13 AM
my tamiya can barely do that
Mine can but I can't race it as standard, its in the modified (very) class

You know that TV ad for the build-your-own RC car that goes up to 60kph
The car must be scaled, I wonder if that the same for the advertised speed claims

Edward
13-02-2005, 11:34 AM
It's a model Subaru Rally car for anyone who hasen't figured it out ;)

sambaird
13-02-2005, 05:02 PM
You know that TV ad for the build-your-own RC car that goes up to 60kph for like, $5.95 per issue or something?

Anyone got any info on that, like a website or something. I want to see if it's worth it, or a total ripoff.

Cheers George
well if you get one tell me what its like i was thinking of geting one to

Tux
13-02-2005, 08:49 PM
its a total rip off, im afraid in the world of rc cars, you have to spend the money to get speed and quality. My tamiya cost me $550 two years ago, since i have bought an additional 2 batteries, at least 2 sets of tyres and an electronic speed controller.

Paul_M
14-02-2005, 10:33 AM
its a total rip off, im afraid in the world of rc cars, you have to spend the money to get speed and quality. My tamiya cost me $550 two years ago, since i have bought an additional 2 batteries, at least 2 sets of tyres and an electronic speed controller.

Sounds like my last car - cost the same, went through the same amount of replacement parts in the same amount of time - seats 6 nicely though. :D

ckent
14-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I read These guys prey on the stupid! Out of interest, I picked up a mag and read the small print. Only the first issue is $5.95. The remaining 45 issues are $16.95. So, the total cost is $768.70.

sambaird
14-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I read These guys prey on the stupid! Out of interest, I picked up a mag and read the small print. Only the first issue is $5.95. The remaining 45 issues are $16.95. So, the total cost is $768.70.
$768.70 :angry

Lohsing
14-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I thought the really fast ones were petrol driven RC cars?

As seen at Big Boys Toys.

Lo.

Tux
14-02-2005, 08:56 PM
you would be suprised at how fast an electric car can go, what with carbon fibre chassis, 2 speed centrifigal clutches, yes the petrol ones can go fast, very fast, but so can electric, both have their pitfalls

Powerslave
14-02-2005, 09:16 PM
If you listen to the advert they say it can go at up to speeds of 60km/h...

Which I would say means, "Hey chump, this car will go as fast as whatever motor you purchase and install"

I say this because a motor is worth more then the cover price of the mag, and they can't deliver a motor in parts. I would bet money on it, No motor.

Same goes for Radio gear, servo’s etc etc.

Now as for the motors performance, The standard RC motor is a rs-540 (also a favorite for electric drills)...and contrary to the belief of many deluded souls these engines are good for approx 22km/h, and they get slower with age.

These engines are 100% torque, so you can gear them up and they will pull it but you won't get any faster top speed.

The performance engines for RC cars have no torque, and require gearing down to get them moving, even then they take a fair bit of distance to get up to speed and quickly outperform the chassis.

Especially a Tamiya, which are designed to take a few knocks rather then be agile. Terrible kits, Doubt you would find them on a racetrack anywhere else then in NZ…. Tamiya are to RC as Dell are to Comps.

The other issue with using hot motors is they can run a normal battery pack dead flat in 30 seconds of full speed travel.... and burn out the entire electrics in the car, and if real bad the heat of the motor can melt vital components.

As for the petrol kits being faster.... Nope, but they can keep fast speeds sustained longer for less money.

I don't know if it still stands but the speed record holder a year or so ago was taken by an electric kit on a small banked wooden oval....oval racing being quite popular in the states. Pretty sure the guys behind it were a team put together by a motor manufacturer, or maybe a battery company.

If your looking at one of these cars that come with the mag……Then buy one of those sub $100 cars off Trademe instead, Some guy seems to be selling em there fulltime.

Tux
14-02-2005, 09:41 PM
i totally disagree, you will find tamiya have won quite a few world champs, along with the likes of team associated etc. Tamiya do make crap cars, but then again they also make very highly competitive cars, hpi also make crap cars, so do kyosho. The world record is held by Cliff Lett of Associated Electrics, team associated electronics in an oval track. he did 111mph or 178kph, quite remarkable. The motor does come with the car, have you not seen the ad

Powerslave
14-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Last time Tamiya was competitive in the Offroad series was the Superchamp era.........18 years ago.

As for onroad, News to me that they have won anything apart from Tamiya only competitions, There best car last time i checked was a TA04 which was easily beaten by less expensive cars.

Wouldn't touch a Kyosho with a barge pole, There golden age was with the Optima/Ultima range and that was a decade ago.

And yes I have seen the add, I paid it as much attention as its worth.

Got any links to Info about Tamiya winning a world champ in the last decade?

Powerslave
14-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Interesting.

Tamiya took out the Touring class in the 2002/2004 Ifmar world championship.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=60

robsonde
14-02-2005, 10:49 PM

Cheers George

now i am looking at this as the way to cheep parts.....

$16.95 for a R/C transmitter......
$16.95 for a pair of good motors......
$16.95 for a rechangable battery......

some of the issues could be a good deal if you just want the parts for another project.

george12
14-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that's quite true.

I have always wanted to build one actually, might do it myself though.

Got a nice motor from an electric scooter, 24V, 100W, will haul a 50kg 14yo (me!) up a (reasonably) steep street at about 10kmh, if geared up it can maybe do 60-100kmh? With no humans weighing it down.

I have two of these motors, and four decent size 12V batteries (~12AH) plus a motorcycle battery.

I have all the electrical stuff easy (I disect old RC cars for the transmitter/receiver) including a relay for the motor, and the skill to get it running nicely RC, but don't have the required mechanical stuff/skill to put it together.

Jeremy
15-02-2005, 10:46 AM
There is a special issue with the battery that costs $39.95 or something.

george12
15-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Let me guess - and one with the motor that costs $99?

CYaBro
15-02-2005, 04:37 PM
I got given the first issue of this the other day. I was going to buy the lot until I saw the price!
On the back it says the car will be complete in 45 issues.
So 1st issue - $5.95
44 issues @ $16.95 - $745.80
1 special issue with battery etc - $29.95
Total price to get a working RC car - $781.70!!
And it does include everything you need, motor, servos etc. to get a working RC car.
But if I wanted an RC car why would I wait almost 1 year to get a working one when you can go and buy one for that price or less and it will probably bet a better car too!
If you subscribe to the magazine you do get a few freebies thrown in!
A t-shirt, a tool kit that includes a soldering iron, a stopwatch/FM radio for timing your races and if you pay by credit card you get a model of a Subaru as well.

Altec_
15-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I remember there was a Titanic model (also by Deansgosti (sp?)) being advertised a while ago. I worked out the total cost, something like $3000.

george12
15-02-2005, 09:05 PM
I have calculated a projected dyno for it:

www.jgi.co.nz/dyno.jpg

Torque is in Ncm (Newton Centimetres, 100 of them make a NM), and power is in Watts. And it's probably rather out, but things add up Ok so maybe not (lines cross at 5252 as they should, etc).

And it has 0.5% the power of our family car, and 0.3% the weight. So a proportianally faster 0-100 time makes sense.

It just better work as well as it should. Which knowing life, it won't...