PDA

View Full Version : PDA

Cicero
11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I have a chum,a land agent,not at all computer savvy.
He writes notes that office find hard to decipher.Correct me if I am wrong,but cant you write with thingy on to screen and have it convert to typing?

Thing is which pda would do the job for this lad.Pics appointments,that sort of thing.

sam m
12-02-2005, 05:29 AM
I am sure that nearly any new pda he buys now would have the software to do that, however if his writing is that poor then i would guess that the pda would also have trouble converting his handwriting to type. Writing on a pda is actually harder than writing on paper I think anyway because there is very little friction from stylus to screen. When I use mine and I am on 'transcriber' mode then my handwriting has actually improved as I have to form letters accurately for this mode to work. He may still get benefit out of a pda if he uses keyboard mode but it would be painfully slow.

lagbort
12-02-2005, 08:36 AM
My palm actually has a specific way it wants you to form the letters right down to stroke direction and timing, you get used to it after about a week though and it wasnt much different to the way I wrote before hand.

Cicero
12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
My palm actually has a specific way it wants you to form the letters right down to stroke direction and timing, you get used to it after about a week though and it wasn't much different to the way I wrote before hand.
Thanks Lag and Sam,I asked which one to get,am no wiser on if one is better than another.Have you tried others?

godfather
12-02-2005, 09:56 AM
I have both Palm and PocketPC versions of PDA.

Both will recognise handwriting, but the Palm is slightly better in my opinion.

However, if his writing really is that bad, neither is recommended. It will simply be an exercise in frustration.

They simply will not work unless some reasonable care is taken over both letter formation and spelling. Letter formation is a learned art on a PDA, there are significant differences to normal writing.

Taking that same amount of care using a pen and paper would produce even better results of legibility.

Cicero
12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I have both Palm and PocketPC versions of PDA.

Both will recognise handwriting, but the Palm is slightly better in my opinion.

However, if his writing really is that bad, neither is recommended. It will simply be an exercise in frustration.

They simply will not work unless some reasonable care is taken over both letter formation and spelling. Letter formation is a learned art on a PDA, there are significant differences to normal writing.

Taking that same amount of care using a pen and paper would produce even better results of legibility.
I knew you were good,but to operate two,one in each hand,now that is good.
Different model toboot,amazing ;)

lagbort
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
usually when i want to type hassle free i jsut tap the little 'abc' button in the graffiti area of my zire72 and a keyboard pops up at the bottom of the screen and lets me type quickly and hassle free.

for general note taking I would recommend a palmone zire 31 or a tungsten E

godfather
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Two? Not likely.

Palm Pilot Pro
Palm VX
Palm m500
Palm Treo 600
Toshiba PocketPC e540

More than ambidextrous.

Cicero
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
usually when i want to type hassle free i jsut tap the little 'abc' button in the graffiti area of my zire72 and a keyboard pops up at the bottom of the screen and lets me type quickly and hassle free.

for general note taking I would recommend a palmone zire 31 or a tungsten E
Thanks lag,no mention of Ipaq what's the word on them?

Cicero
12-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Two? Not likely.

Palm Pilot Pro
Palm VX
Palm m500
Palm Treo 600
Toshiba PocketPC e540

More than ambidextrous.
Surely not the feet as well,that would be to much to behold :o

kers0r
12-02-2005, 07:24 PM
There is software that will make your pocket pc better understand your hand writting.
I am a mobile device freak, i love Pocket PC's :) I use mine every day for work.

Cicero
12-02-2005, 08:17 PM
There is software that will make your pocket pc better understand your hand writting.
I am a mobile device freak, i love Pocket PC's :) I use mine every day for work.
And how does the Ipaq compare?

godfather
12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
And how does the Ipaq compare?
You need to understand that (relative to handwriting recognition) all PocketPC (Windows) devices use the same operating system software and all Palm devices use the same Palm operating system software.

Generally then all PocketPC devices will behave in a similar manner to each other in handwriting recognition. The Ipaq is a PocketPC device.

All Palm devices likewise behave in a similar manner to other Palm devices.

So to ask how the Ipaq compares is a bit like saying "how does Windows XP on a Compaq compare to Windows XP on a Dell?"

The underlying application is the same, the hardware differs little. The performance is much the same, given equal hardware.

I can only repeat that the Palm Graffiti handwriting system is a little more robust than the Pocket PC, but there is not much in it. Neither is all that good for speed.

Have your chum consider a dictaphone.....

Cicero
12-02-2005, 08:53 PM
You need to understand that (relative to handwriting recognition) all PocketPC (Windows) devices use the same operating system software and all Palm devices use the same Palm operating system software.

Generally then all PocketPC devices will behave in a similar manner to each other in handwriting recognition. The Ipaq is a PocketPC device.

All Palm devices likewise behave in a similar manner to other Palm devices.

So to ask how the Ipaq compares is a bit like saying "how does Windows XP on a Compaq compare to Windows XP on a Dell?"

The underlying application is the same, the hardware differs little. The performance is much the same, given equal hardware.

I can only repeat that the Palm Graffiti handwriting system is a little more robust than the Pocket PC, but there is not much in it. Neither is all that good for speed.

Have your chum consider a dictaphone.....
Thought ipaq and palm were different makes of the same device,forgive me.