PDA

View Full Version : amount of time it takes to register at PF1

mister harbies
10-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Fellow F1ers,

I was just thinking about people getting banned here on PF1, and often they come back under a new different username to make some ugly remarks to the mods or other forum users.

Suppose there was a timing mechanism linked with the registration process. This would mean all new registrations will receive their confirmation email say 24 hours after they submitted their interest to join PF1. The 24 hours could give banned members time to cool off, and by the time their new identity has been confirmed and processed, hopefully, they will have relised that whatever the problem was, was no big deal and let it be.

I am aware that some people will have an urgent problem, and would like to join, but have to wait 24 hours. This could be a problem for those new members.

This was just my thoughts and might be good use to prevent those banned members coming back so soon to make ugly remarks.

What do you think? Hope a mod can see this and give it some thought, and better still, give me some feedback?

Metla
10-02-2005, 11:50 PM
A help forum with a 24 hour wait period is beyond useless.

People getting upset is just the reality of any forum, and something which the mods are nominated to deal with.

As for 'bad eggs' coming back to wreck havoc, Storm in a teacup, What was posted didn't even get deleted...which means its fine for a 'G' audience.....even if it was posted purely to ruffle a feather or two.

gibler
11-02-2005, 02:56 AM
The secret to dealing with "bad eggs" is to just ignore them.

If they keep coming back then you complain to their ISP. Can't be too hard if they are in fact from NZ.

But that's up to the Mods and we've probably talked about the pondscum that appear in forums far too mauch already.

Jen
11-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Suppose there was a timing mechanism linked with the registration process. This would mean all new registrations will receive their confirmation email say 24 hours after they submitted their interest to join PF1. The 24 hours could give banned members time to cool off, and by the time their new identity has been confirmed and processed, hopefully, they will have relised that whatever the problem was, was no big deal and let it be.As already mentioned, very few would want to wait 24 hrs until they are permitted to post on this forum. Most new accounts are used fairly quickly to post a question with. You would also have difficulty spotting who is genuine and who is not as disposable addy's such as yahoo, hotmail, gmail are all acceptable. Those that register a new account just to cause trouble, tend to show their real intention in the first post(s) and come to the attention of the Mods at that stage.

You don't want to restrict the ease of use of this forum, just because of the behaviour of a few.

Jen :)

pixeldust
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
How about restricting the first 24 hours to the use of the PF1 forum only, and not the chat forum?

ninja
11-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe there should be a 30 minute delay from creating a new thread to it actually beomcing visible, so that given some time to think about it people might withdraw quality threads such as this before the rest of us have to suffer.

Mary
11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals.
There is a facility in vBulletin which allows new registrations to go through a sort-of application process -- a delegated person has to authorise registration before it is "live".
This is pretty manual though, and something which the Mods or Bruce and I don't have time to do. We would just delay the whole process of getting in and posting, especially when we are still getting over 20 registrations a day.

If people keep going through the process of registering accounts just to be annoying then so be it, they must have a lot of time on their hands!!!
No doubt Jen or Chill will deal with them anyway :thumbs:

Biggles
11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
There are things we could do but they all get in the way of people using the forum quickly and easily - such as the activation email which we turned off because it didn't get through to lots of people.

It just isn't worth it.

Prescott
11-02-2005, 04:41 PM
cant you guys see who is who because you can see our IP address?

Dannz
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
cant you guys see who is who because you can see our IP address?

If you have dialup you can always disconnect and reconnect and get a new IP address

ninja
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
cant you guys see who is who because you can see our IP address?They use that for pirating your jiggahurtz and h4xing your microbytes.

Prescott
11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
lol, yeah i see, are the 2 ip addresses you have related in some way? or are they completely different

ninja
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Eh?

Cicero
11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Eh?
Eh to your mutterings too.

ninja
12-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Eh to your mutterings too.Do you sell pot, or just fry your own brain on it?

Jen
12-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Do you sell pot, or just fry your own brain on it?You just had to post something and not walk away. You know the drill and the rules ninja, you are now banned for 48 hours. Consider this post your official notification.

mark c
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
NO NO No to a time delay. I have stuffed up too many people's comps and subsequently fixed then using forums to want to wait.

Waiting is not an option.

"They'll be back tomorrow! Omygod!"

Prescott
12-02-2005, 12:36 PM
yeah i did stuff that up a bit, sorry
what i was meaning was that say if you connect to the net and get an ip of 210.34.45.145 and then connect again, are the ip addresses similar? like do they have the same numbers except for the last few digits?
hopefully that makes good england :p

E|im
12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Do you sell pot, or just fry your own brain on it?
ROFL :lol: :lol:

Suppose there was a timing mechanism linked with the registration process. This would mean all new registrations will receive their confirmation email say 24 hours after they submitted their interest to join PF1. The 24 hours could give banned members time to cool off, and by the time their new identity has been confirmed and processed, hopefully, they will have relised that whatever the problem was, was no big deal and let it be.
What if they already have 5 spare accounts they could just use?

Maybe there should be a 30 minute delay from creating a new thread to it actually beomcing visible, so that given some time to think about it people might withdraw quality threads such as this before the rest of us have to suffer.
:lol: :lol:

what i was meaning was that say if you connect to the net and get an ip of 210.34.45.145 and then connect again, are the ip addresses similar? like do they have the same numbers except for the last few digits?
hopefully that makes good england
Sometimes. Though half the forum might have an IP address in that range as well if it is one from Telecom or a specific ISP. So what are the mods going to do? Block that entire range? Well, then half the forum might not be able to get into PressF1.

Prescott
12-02-2005, 07:29 PM
aahh thanks for clearing that up :)