PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming?

mickb
07-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Global Warming, Renewable energy, conservation!!

Seems to me that the world leaders are taking a narrow view of the worlds future energy needs and the investment is going mostly the wrong way.
They all talk about wind power. wave power and the like and how they contribute 5% to 10% of the local needs.
Many may say this is worth the investment, but there are more avenues to explore.
Street lighting some of which is on a timer should be controlled by light meter.
Office lights could be set to switch off after an hour (outside working hours).
Passage and corridor lights should be on a timer.
International climate summits could be conducted over the internet.
When I was younger tv sets used up to ten times the power they use now. and many could heat a room with their valves. We now have plasma screens which use far less than their cathode ray predecessors
I agree we should look for cleaner sources of power but we should also put research into the reduction of usage which could yield bigger results and maybe even shame U.S. leaders into making an effort.
Sorry this is heavy but any ideas/ comments would be good. :D

Rob99
07-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Sounds like you need an excuse to buy a new plasma TV.

As to the rest of that I believe all that stuff is total rubbish.

What happens when the planet warms is it gets more humid, water in the air goes to the poles freezes and falls to the ground, making the polar caps larger than they are now. I think we will see the polar caps get much larger.

The earth can easily warm another 10° before we run into troubles.

Wont happen in my lifetime.

d.murray
07-02-2005, 02:43 PM
All this has been tasked to the Energy Efficiency Consrvation Authority. You may question the efficiency with which they pursue their objectives however.

We have just built a new house which with a little bit of thought in the design has resulted in a more comfortable energy efficient living environment.

A couple of examples solar water heating along with a wet back on the wood stove means that we haven't had to turn on the electric water heating yet, passive solar gains through north facing large windows and exposed ground concrete floor (large eaves prevent heat build up over summer). Other energy saving features (including increased insulation etc have meant that our average electricity energy bill is around $35 per month. We are fortunate thought to live in a sunny part of NZ.

If there was a requirement for all new houses to incorporate such energy efficiency in their designs the future requirements for power generation would be much lessened.

D

Winston001
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm with Rob - sort of. We don't actually know much about climate or the Earths geologic cycles. Global warming can lead to increased cloud cover = less sunlight = cooling down.

Or instead, the clouds trap our own heat in and we get the famous Greenhouse Effect, with temperatures rising. Problems problems.

There need be no energy crisis - mirrors in space can deliver megawatts. Tidal power is simple, but the engineering is a bit challenging. The thermocline between different temperatures of ocean layers can generate energy.

And then there is nirvana - nuclear fusion. CERN are working on it right now. Or even better - antimatter.

Nothing wrong with energy efficency, but it can distract from the reality that progress demands huge increases in energy production. Unless we all think most of the world (being the poor people) shouldn't enjoy our standard of living.

Metla
07-02-2005, 03:35 PM
and your standard of living is relative to the size of your TV screen?

Somehow i doubt a cooked meal and a comfertable bed are related to huge energy consumption.

(and for whats its worth I can see my spelling mistakes as clear as anyone else and I will take no action to correct them)

Cicero
07-02-2005, 03:54 PM
and your standard of living is relative to the size of your TV screen?

Somehow i doubt a cooked meal and a comfertable bed are related to huge energy consumption.

(and for whats its worth I can see my spelling mistakes as clear as anyone else and I will take no action to correct them)

It's called being perverse.

Metla
07-02-2005, 05:53 PM
per·verse

Obstinately persisting in an error or fault; wrongly self-willed or stubborn

Whoa, They have a word just for people such as myself, :thumbs: :thumbs:

And 'obstinately'

# Stubbornly adhering to an attitude, opinion, or course of action; obdurate.
# Difficult to manage, control, or subdue; refractory.

:thumbs:

Terry Porritt
07-02-2005, 06:04 PM
That's Metla, loveably obstinate, or obstinately loveable whichever :thumbs:

Cicero
07-02-2005, 06:28 PM
per·verse

Obstinately persisting in an error or fault; wrongly self-willed or stubborn

Whoa, They have a word just for people such as myself, :thumbs: :thumbs:

And 'obstinately'

# Stubbornly adhering to an attitude, opinion, or course of action; obdurate.
# Difficult to manage, control, or subdue; refractory.

:thumbs:
I suppose it's better than being vapid mmmmmmmm ;)

Poppa John
07-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey ... Metla back to his old self again, woohoo. PJ :lol: :lol:

Cicero
07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey ... Metla back to his old self again, woohoo. PJ :lol: :lol:
Yes he can be forgiven,I suppose he is only about 22. :D

Metla
07-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Old enough to compete in the Masters Games.

pity I came dead last in my event,I was youngest in the feild as well :eek:

Winston001
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Whats all this then eh? I go away for a day and this turns into a "We are not worthy of Metla" thread? :yuck: Fine fellow that you are, of course. :thumbs:

Anyway, my old Russian broom, we should not tell third world people that they don't need big-screen TVs while enjoying them ourselves. And it takes energy to produce appliances.

Actually for the poor people I was thinking about clean reticulated water, electricity, sewers, good roads, modern hospitals, schools, etc. Just the basics really - but half the worlds population don't have these.

And it takes energy to build infrastructure. Sweat just ain't enough without the hardware.

mickb
10-02-2005, 12:19 PM
HHHMMMMMMMM
SUCH PASSION

I can feel the urge to drink (too many variables makes me thirsty)Sounds like we're in for an ice age but not until the third world has widescreen :D