PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Influence of Movies on Tourism

Winston001
02-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Have you ever deliberately travelled to or visited a place after seeing it in a movie?

For example NZ is supposed to have a tourism boost from The Lord of The Rings. Kauai, Hawaii expected a boost from Jurassic Park. But does this really happen?

Metla
02-02-2005, 10:23 PM
I go where ever my budget can get me (not very far)

If i was filthy rich and could jet off to any location on a whimsy then a location seen in a movie would be as good as any.

Speaking of Lotr's.Went through Mangaweka on the weekend and seen them advertising LOTR tours, I let out a chuckle, If anyone flies in for that then they are in for a big letdown.

edit.

seems to have viable spin-offs

http://www.tourism.net.nz/tours/lord-of-the-rings-tours/index.html

beetle
02-02-2005, 10:42 PM
oooh ooh ooh me me me me!!!!!!

overseas people coming into NZ, they consistently come to wanganui area, because of the scenary that they have seen on telly / movies. and also the promotional things they see on web sites promoting NZ.

(we ask) and they like to do the river trips, hikes and boat trips etc, anything that shows them the real NZ. back to mother earth type stuff.

NZ's you find dont go so much for what theve seen on telly, they go like Metla says, budget, family reasons and beachs mostly.

sports and lifestyle also can be a prominete?(sp) in choice of where and when to go to places.

but i would say most of our visitors motel wise, are workers (reps, contractors etc), and party goers, and weddings, and then the non understanda english tourists.....

amazing what sort of people travel about the country.

That site is a very popular one overseas people look at Metla........
we on that one and get heaps of feedback and bookings through them.
i think they based in chch???? wngtn??? and Aucks??
could be wrong, they a nice company to deal with tho.

beetle

godfather
02-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Went to the Petronas Towers, looking for Catherine Zeta-Jones (Entrapment).
Still not found her though. Pity.

I am reliably informed the Alfred Hitchcocks film Psycho was filmed on location at "a well known Wanganui motel", but as yet have not been able to afford to travel there to check it out.

beetle
02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Oh must look out for this famous motel you talking about goddie......:p

not the one with all the birds tho???? not sure if that is AH movie????

beetle

Andrew B
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Also I wonder how many people will visit Mt Maunganui after all the publicity on TVNZ about the beach webcam? http://www.citynews.co.nz/webcams/mtbeach/index.php

Invasion of privacy??? Yeah right! :)