PDA

View Full Version : Chubby school children

Poppa John
01-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Did you see on the TV today where American kids may have their "Fat Rating" shown on their report cards. The film showed overweight kids? I had to laugh tho, the teachers & experts who spoke on the programme were also Very Overweight. Do as I say, not do as I do ??? The pot calling the kettle grimeybum??? PJ :lol:

~sy~
01-02-2005, 08:40 PM
"Do as I say, not as I do"

I think that statement is used too much. In a way effective -and in a way not. Personally, I must admit I always use it. From when I'm "supervising"/directing colleagues right down to when I'm talking to my little brother. At time it is just plain hard to do what you know you need to do. For example, I know I should do a bit of exercise and losen the fat -trouble is, how and when? Never get the time and don't know how. Go for a run!? It's either too hot or too cold/dark. However, when I'm talking to people about exercise, I say, you must.. blah blah blah.. or else blah blah blah will happen.

the highlander
01-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I can see human rights activists and lawers rubbing their hands in anticipation on this one.
from a personal view point Many children have a poor self esteem as it is and isn't helped by rampant peer pressure. I can only imagine the havoc a fat rating would create on a report card. No matter what well meaning philosphy was behind it.

tweak'e
01-02-2005, 11:34 PM
this has been a bit of a topic around here in recent months. all you have to do is look at the crap the kids have in their lunch boxes. all suger coated deap fried rubbish. not to mention the baby sitter tv, play station and <god forbid> the computer. no wonder the poor kids are fat.

Poppa John
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
My point was Not aimed at the 'chubby kids', rather at the people criticising them. Very LARGE people some of them. Me??? 6' 1'' tall, 88 kilos, a bit of a belly but not a lot of fat. I would love to be able to walk more, as I used to do around Papatoetoe, a few years ago. But I've got these crook legs & heart. Sometimes tho Maryann & I do go out "Walking". She on legs & me on mobilty scooter!!!!!. When I was much younger than I am now, it was safe for us kids to be 'out & about' in the park, up in the woods. Not now tho. What happened between then & now?? Also "Electronics" has a lot to answer for, Tv, Computers, Game boxes, etc. Lets face it tho, why would I want to do the dreaded exercise when I can sit here with a cup of tea & "whinge' !!!!
PJ :rolleyes: :2cents:

Winston001
02-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I also noticed with irony that the American adults on the news bulletin were themselves overweight. :lol:

It is damned hard being a parent. We give our children healthy lunches but many of their friends have crisps and other easy snackfoods. So our children feel deprived. They understand about healthy eating because it is actually taught at primary school, but that doesn't compensate when other parents and children clearly don't care.

I can say that it is far easier to simply go along a supermarket aisle and buy the lunches for the whole week in packets, than to make them each morning.