01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
check this out

http://www.gophergas.com/funstuff/extraman.htm

Edward
01-02-2005, 08:16 PM
My brain itches @_@

craigb
01-02-2005, 11:15 PM
The guy on the far left at the front has half his scalp missing so can not be considered complete therefore can't be counted. :dogeye:

Laura
04-02-2005, 02:21 AM
OK Derek, my brain was successfully bent.
Now is there an easy way to explain the answer?
(Bearing in mind a bent brain can cope with only so much information...)

user
04-02-2005, 10:09 AM
There is a similar, very famous puzzle that works by rotating a circle about 30 degrees. Figures are drawn on the boundary of the circle and outside the circle so that when it is rotated, part of the figures move around and line up to form another figure further around. Again, there is a loss of one person when the rotation is made and it is very difficult to see how this happens, even when you slowly rotate it yourself. :rolleyes:

Metla
04-02-2005, 10:41 AM
First saw this one a few years ago, some one had saved it as individual frames and drawn arrows and notes explaining how thw extra person was drawn using parts of the other figures.

And it still didnt make any sense. :lol:

Scouse
04-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi. Couple of years ago I printed this out and pasted it to plywood. Cut it apart as in the action shown and gave it to grandchildren. We still couldn't work it out. :cool:

godfather
04-02-2005, 11:57 AM
The people in the puzzle all divided at different levels and when they are rearranged, everyone is slightly shorter with two people missing a small bit at the top or bottom.

The extra man is effectively "created" from the way each is sliced.

There are a great many other illusions that use the same effect, but it's more noticeable how it is done on geometric shapes.