PDA

View Full Version : Study shows some teens not as Web-savvy as parents

Strommer
01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
OK, after seeing the PF1 poll results that the majority of members are young and not senior like some of us, I know that this article may stir things up, but here goes... :p

Think the teenager in your house can out-surf you? Think again. So says a study of 13- to 17-year-olds released Monday by the Nielsen Norman Group. The results suggest that some businesses are using ineffective strategies to target a teen market of some 20 million. The study found that, contrary to stereotype, teens as a group are not as adept as adults in navigating the Web.

Read the full story at: Here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=711&ncid=738&e=5&u=/usatoday/20050131/tc_usatoday/studyshowssometeensnotaswebsavvyasparents)

Tux
01-02-2005, 09:21 AM
i am 17, and i not by my own choice, run circles around my family when it comes to using a computer. Are US parents more compuer literate, cause whenever i go to say trade me computer forums or others, these "parents" are complaining about so called trojans, "help!, Help!, ive got a trojan on my peeeseee", did they time these parents on how long it took?

Strommer
01-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Well, I must admit that generally I find older folks fairly hopeless with using computers and the Net. Many cannot even type / use the keyboard properly. I think it took my sister two years to learn how to turn her Mac on and off (and I am not exaggerating - not too much anyway!). My wife still will sit and stare and a prompt that gives a clear option of e.g. "continue or cancel", etc. but at least she can now copy and paste using MS Word (only took me a year or two repeating instructions to her and having her keep a notebook of instructions that she would not use - arrrghhhhhh!).

The older folk that I admire are those that are frightened of PCs - they really have a BIG block against using PCs - but they go ahead and join Senior Net or go to a Polytech course and learn how to use 'puters.

FoxyMX
01-02-2005, 09:56 AM
i am 17, and i not by my own choice, run circles around my family when it comes to using a computer. Are US parents more compuer literate, cause whenever i go to say trade me computer forums or others, these "parents" are complaining about so called trojans, "help!, Help!, ive got a trojan on my peeeseee", did they time these parents on how long it took?
Did you actually read the article? It wasn't talking about "using a computer", it was talking about finding information on the internet. ;)

They have pretty much hit it on the head with this statement:

Immaturity and poor reading skills partly explained the youngsters' lackluster performance, the study concluded. So did the teens' weak research skills and unwillingness to tough it out when a site posed design obstacles.
That and teenagers' lack of patience, in my view. :)

As always, there are exceptions to the rules. I know a handful of teenagers (geeks, of course ;)) who run rings around me when it comes to finding things on the net. :p

ninja
01-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Google-Fu