PDA

View Full Version : Roadside posts

george12
28-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey,

I was just wondering .... purely out of curiosity ... :rolleyes:

Are we legally allowed to mount our own stuff (cables, etc) to the road side posts that carry power / cable / telephone wires on?

Can TC come along and take them down?

Jen
28-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Pretty safe to assume as they don't belong to you, it would be illegal to mount anything on them :p

Would be a safety factor as well.

Edward
28-01-2005, 09:28 PM
I believe you'd need permission from someone like the LTSA, but if you did erect poles telecon couldn't tear them down

godfather
28-01-2005, 09:29 PM
No you cannot.

You have no right to do so, no ownership of the post.
No right to run any cabling on or over a public road or space.

Power companies and Telecom do have the rights.

bartsdadhomer
28-01-2005, 09:29 PM
George, I don't mean to be rude but you seem to ask a lot of questions you already know the answers to

Is it a post count thing with you as I've seen you refer to it now & again

NOOOOOOO of course you can't.

Prescott
28-01-2005, 09:30 PM
what are you planning george?? :p

agent
28-01-2005, 09:34 PM
George, I don't mean to be rude but you seem to ask a lot of questions you already know the answers to

Is it a post count thing with you as I've seen you refer to it now & again

NOOOOOOO of course you can't.
Jealous, are we? George is a young, enterprising, inquisitive person.

george12
28-01-2005, 09:42 PM
*** where did my post go!!! :o

Edit: Here is the post again...

BartsDadHomer, I don't honestly care about post counts. My opinion is, 100 decent posts are much better than 16,000 spam posts.

Anyway, what exactly are you on about. As far as I am aware I have never asked a question I already knew the answer to... I see no reason to do that...

The question I asked was perfectly serious, and now I know that it is most certainly not legal and would get me in trouble.

The idea that prompted this question however is not particularly serious. As a brief, random thought I thought of running a totally independant ethernet network around the city - which people hosting servers would peer onto, and people would run things like file-sharing hubs and video-conferening on. It would be free to access, or maybe just enough to cover the costs. So people would be able to do 100mbit file sharing with anyone else connected, video conferencing, maybe internet in some way, join it up with NZWireless..... The possibilitys are endless. Pity it's unrealitic and impossible on many levels.

Just got me wondering, that's all.

beetle
28-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi ya George....
(Too late posting...george has replied already...:D)

Technically or legally? we (if you own the property) only own what is inside the boundary fence,
(renting would be the same ? just not owned to change anything drastically with??? digging holes or trench's ? :D )

and if i remember correctly only a few cm's deep to, so no you wouldnt be able to touch, add to or connect anything to a owned power pole, or telecom cable, im picking if ya didnt kill yourself first, you would get caught and incur quite a large fine or term of probabtion considering how old you are....

but this is only personal opinion, not totally sure of the facts and could be way off.

and what would be needing you to connect anything to? for?

Mr policeman may have other things to say to you george if you keep on this level of interest going......LOL

yeah right....

beetle

bartsdadhomer
28-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Jealous, are we? George is a young, enterprising, inquisitive person.

Jealous? Only of his youth maybe.
Enterprising, inquisitive & reasonably intelligent from my previous observations.
So why a thread asking if one can attach cables etc to power poles?
The answer was pretty obvious before it was even asked.
Now do you have anything useful to contribute or are you just post padding as well?

agent
28-01-2005, 10:01 PM
It's almost not worth replying because you'll probably accuse me of actual post padding now. Wow, you're wielding a double-edged sword.

Fact of the matter is that you should ask yourself if you are contributing something worthwhile to this thread. And look, you're trying to stir trouble.

bartsdadhomer
28-01-2005, 10:03 PM
It's almost not worth replying because you'll probably accuse me of actual post padding now. Wow, you're wielding a double-edged sword.

Fact of the matter is that you should ask yourself if you are contributing something worthwhile to this thread. And look, you're trying to stir trouble.
:illogical

george12
28-01-2005, 10:04 PM
He was stating an opinion, I have nothing wrong with posts like that. Posts don't have to be directly answering the question to contribute to the conversation.

Posting doesn't hurt the forum you know.

I'm sorry you felt the question was too obvious, but I genuinely wanted to know the legal situation of it.

beetle
28-01-2005, 10:10 PM
George,
Nothing personal and not intended to offend but...

....think if it wasnt illegal or ethically wrong do you not think that, lots or Most techno people would have hooked into it by now and made their millions by onselling it or something? by having free whatever, be it power, jetstream or whatever possible....

it probably can be done, but its not legal to do this,

but theres no harm in asking questions.

no questions is dumb unless you dont ask it, becaue then it never has an answer.
and when you stop asking you stop learning.

beetle

bartsdadhomer
28-01-2005, 10:11 PM
He was stating an opinion
And I wasn't?

george12
28-01-2005, 10:21 PM
George,
Nothing personal and not intended to offend but...

....think if it wasnt illegal or ethically wrong do you not think that, lots or Most techno people would have hooked into it by now and made their millions by onselling it or something? by having free whatever, be it power, jetstream or whatever possible....

it probably can be done, but its not legal to do this,

but theres no harm in asking questions.

no questions is dumb unless you dont ask it, becaue then it never has an answer.
and when you stop asking you stop learning.

beetle

Well said, good point.

And I wasn't?

You were. I never said otherwise. But you accused him of post-padding and said that his post wasn't contributing anything.

Prescott
28-01-2005, 10:25 PM
your idea will involve a fair bit of $$$

Jen
28-01-2005, 10:38 PM
People, there is no need to accuse each other of post padding ... keep it nice please, it isn't hard to do :rolleyes:

Scouse
28-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi George. Slightly off track here, but some of the characters who care for roadside thingies and roadsides can get really snarly. I once put up a small post on my property, but hung a sign out 800 mm over a deep drainage ditch on the highway. Transit New Zealand wrote me a ****ty letter about blocking the view of traffic over their property, etc.. I objected, pointed out the facts of the measurements and they simply said that if I didn't get it down, they would remove it and I could collect it from one of their depots, some 200 kms away. God knows what they would have done if I had hung my wee sign from one of their posts. :cool:

That's clever. I type the word ****ty and the system modifies it to read ****ty. :rolleyes: I wonder how it responds to the word s h i t t y ?

ninja
29-01-2005, 12:36 AM
George, I don't mean to be rude but you seem to ask a lot of questions you already know the answers toYou'll see things like this:
The idea that prompted this question however is not particularly serious. As a brief, random thought I thought of running a totally independant ethernet network around the city - which people hosting servers would peer onto,Come past regularly from said poster, others have included the xx PC network on CityLink that's being set up next week (which never happened) the co-located box I'm setting up in the sky tower (which never happened), the list goes on.

Easiest just to ignore it, as biting on it gets the hippies angry and generally lands you in trouble.

george12
29-01-2005, 02:20 AM
others have included the xx PC network on CityLink that's being set up next week (which never happened)

Huh? I don't quite know what you are on about. I never planned anything to do with Citylink... You might mean my idea of getting a 10Mbit cable conn ($129.95/mo with Telstra) and sharing it?

the co-located box I'm setting up in the sky tower (which never happened), the list goes on.

Well I would do that, only there's a better cheaper option with 120 times the bandwidth and 10 / 100 times the speed (national/international respectively).

Easiest just to ignore it, as biting on it gets the hippies angry and generally lands you in trouble.

What the hell is wrong with you? Am I not allowed to just ask a simple question that doesn't harm anyone? Sure, fine, ignore it as you said. Why don't you take your own advice, this is starting to annoy me.

Everyone else in the forum is informative and nice, but it seems you just keep winding me up.

George

Scouse
29-01-2005, 09:40 AM
No George. Everyone else in the forum is informative and nice, but it seems you just keep winding me up. Ninja is not winding you up. You are winding you up.
:cool:

george12
29-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Well ninja is making me wind me up then :rolleyes:....