PDA

View Full Version : Phone lines / caller display

beetle
28-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok after heaps of badgering i decided to get caller display for work....

contact telecom, after waiting 5 mins on the phone on hold.......... and lo and behold we cant get it.....on any of our lines...home or work...
does anyone no why that happened? the lady was not able to explain, just put it down to exchange?

if i cannot get this and im in central business district ( on the edge) does this mean i cant get jetstream as well???? possibly?

must go check this one out to.

this bugs me.......... is nothing ever easy when it comes to telecom????

but the other thing that gripes me is it does not even recognise our home phone number...says its not identified????

:confused:

beetle

godfather
28-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Surprisingly a lot of exchanges are too old for caller display type services.

Is not connected in any way to the Jetstream availability issue as far as I am aware though.

beetle
28-01-2005, 06:37 PM
So she's not pulling me leg then?

but the business which is in say a 100 metres down the road, where a friend works has it??? i can see them from here.......they would be on same exchange surely?????

sigh............grizzle , rant moan....arrggggggggggghhh. blasted things.

ok im over it.

whats next, and it seems i can get jetstream just fine or so it says...couldnt care less about that cos im not getting it....:(
always want the things i cant have......
bugga.

beetle

godfather
28-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Just tried your business number in the Telecom site and it say "product not available", so she may be right.

Can only assume the "nearby business" is off a different exchange? Are the first 3 digits the same as yours?

I guess that's the price you pay for living in such a remote area like Wanganui?

beetle
28-01-2005, 07:58 PM
First 2 digits yes, but the first 3 digits if you look from our home phone number....
so a no go spose.....

Remote????? obviously hickville, where nobody goes......:p

wonder what the tourists see in the city then.....:p

beetle

TonyF
28-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Wanganui remote ?? Maybe .. But does Metla live down in the dell .....

Jen
28-01-2005, 08:07 PM
But does Metla live down in the dell .....I seriously doubt you will ever find Metla living with a Dell ... :D :p

TonyF
28-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Exactly so .....
Cheers
Tony

beetle
28-01-2005, 08:59 PM
In the dell?

comes to mind...Farmer in the dell, and he aint no farmer in the dell......

LOL

in the wops yehah.........

:D

beetle

agent
28-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Ride on, cowgirl! (?)

:p

Greg
28-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Is not connected in any way to the Jetstream availability issue as far as I am aware though.

Sounds right - I have Jetstream but can't get caller display

Graham L
29-01-2005, 02:04 PM
The caller display facility works by sending an asynchronous serial (1200 bps) string with the number between the ring tones. If your exchange has a motor driven ring generator, it can't do that. ;)

PaulD
29-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Any exchange with a motor driven ringer wouldn't be able to do lots more than just caller display. Most of Telecom's exchanges are NEC NEAX 61s. Only the later 61E does the full range of add-on services. The earlier 61K in smaller exchanges was often expanded by adding some separate 61E subcriber modules controlled remotely from another 61E so you can get neighbours with differing levels of service. With the so called "Next Generation" of IP based system almost here Telecom aren't spending much on upgrades

beetle
31-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanxs people, so since i live in the wops of the city, and telecom aint gonna spend money ever, im caller display less for infinity.

:badpc:

dont that just spin ya wheels then.

beetle :annoyed:

agent
31-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Get a phoneline installed at this place 100m down the road, shove one of those fancy long-range portable phones on it, and use a second base-station and handset at your place. ;)

FoxyMX
01-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Better still, make everyone phone your cellphone. That has caller display on it. ;)