PDA

View Full Version : Computer Stores in Auckland

growlin_stan
21-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I just moved back to Auckland (been away for 4 years) and love to find a good deal when it comes to computer-related parts and accessories. I have found some great online retailers and look forward to checking out their "bricks 'n' mortar" stores.

I would love to know about any experiences people have had with Auckland retailers - the good, the bad and the ugly! One stoe i have already been to is PB Tech in Penrose. It was a good size, items were clearly priced and well laid out and there were some bargains too!

somebody
21-01-2005, 04:02 PM
QMB Computers. http://www.qmb.co.nz

Very good prices (unless you are paying to have it shipped to you).

bob_doe_nz
21-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Well I find that sometimes OEM Computers, E-one Computers in Manukau City and SuperCheapPC in town has prices that are sometimes cheaper than QMB

Misty
21-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Fairly recently I came across a store that has been around for seven years - it moved from Northcote to Link Drive in Glenfield. They seem to be very well organised indeed. They are called "Advanced Computers". On the Saturday I asked for a Transcend USB flash drive 512 mgs (which some of the more discerning members of PressF1 had put me onto :thumbs: ). They did not have that particular brand in store but had it in by Monday, two days later. The price - total of $109. I really get the feeling that they would sort any problems out pronto. They also have had the seal of approval in some ways from the Mayor of North Shore George Woods (I think the name is - he is low key but very effective). The reason for this blessing is that they get involved with the aged folk (like me - in the not too distant future :eek: ) who are learning computer technology.

They are probably far, too far, away for you (you speak of Penrose).

QMB has been mentioned - from my very (admittedly) limited experience tend to quickly pass over problems to you. I will try to look out a previous thread which detailed my particular experience with them. They are cheap ... but then remember that is what you are paying for (and regretting later ?!!) I had thought they may be better because that is where Chill gets his CD-R's from -- but then he did not say they are good --only that their CD's are cheap !!

My two-penny worth ( me showing my age again - should be two cents worth ! :@@: )
Misty

PS - Welcome to another Jaffa !

~sy~
21-01-2005, 07:49 PM
There's hundred of good shops and hundreds of crap shops. Where exactly are you in Auckland?

Hope you already know about PriceSpy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz)

Mercury
22-01-2005, 12:17 AM
A good store? As with most things this depends a lot on your own knowledge and experience and the service level you require or expect. There is one local store in West Auckland that I won't go near due to a supercilious prat who "served" me 10 years ago.

For the big things I usually deal with one particular local small firm as I respect their knowledge and their willingness to answer my questions even if it doesn't result in a sale at the time. There again, when it comes to a dead mouse, disks or odd small things I tend to buy wherever I happen to be at the time.

ninja
22-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I've dealt with both OEM and E-One on a few occasions and would never deal with them again. Shonky shonky shonky.

Shortcircuit
22-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Yep, there are 'good' and bad ones. In my experience the bad ones outweigh the good by a long shot.

Try the following:

look for what you want on price spy...

See if the site lists in stock/out of stock...

Phone the store...

Pray that the person on the phone speaks english...

If they speak english try asking a few 'tech' questions and you'll quicky get an idea how much they know about what they are selling...

Check again that they have the item in stock...

Check the price includes GST...

Check yet again that they actually physically have it in stock by getting the guy to rattle the box over the phone... (not joking here!)

I have been told many times on the phone "Yes we have one of those", race down to the place only to be told "We have one of those LISTED and can order one for you".

I have used Ascent's web site just because it saves all the hassles with idiot young guys who think they are 'cool' because they work in a computer store and don't know squat.

The Ascent site is informative, you know if they've got it available and service is good/quick.

PaulD
22-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Most web sites showing availability refer to their supplier having stock in NZ. When it comes to the crunch Ascent will be in the queue with every other dealer for the items.

Metla
22-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Working in a computer shop makes someone cool?

woohoo.....And all this time i thought it was my beer belly and receding hairline that drove others insane with jealosy.

beetle
22-01-2005, 10:47 AM
LOL cool?

Well then Metla bout time ya updated ya slippers then isnt it????
Maybe some sparkly ones this time..... :lol:

:thumbs:

I know nothing about comp stores in Ockers, but yeah, ringing, and testing knowledge seems to be a good idea, and yes ive learnt what they say over the phone is not always a possible, especially when it comes to things in stock.

good luck.

beetle

Metla
22-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I have many many empty cardboard boxes in stock......

Shortcircuit
22-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Well, in Jaffaville they think they're cool... inevitably 'students' from overseas studying english and working to pay for the Nizmo stickers on their hotted up Nissans to get them to Lan parties.

I would go for the beer belly/receding hairline every time, shows a high level of manual dexterity (the ability to open a bottle) and evidence of repeated head scratching/head banging (not the musical kind).

Possibly not enough to drive me insane with jealousy though, unless the slippers came with the look.

beetle
22-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Um and what Look would that be?????

:@@:

beetle

Shortcircuit
22-01-2005, 12:32 PM
A balding beer bellied guy guy with sparkly slippers wandering around muttering about his software... I guess you get the picture :rolleyes:

PS, hope you're feeling more on top of it Beetle... highly recommend chocolate (also good after dealing with salespeople at computer stores!)

Cicero
22-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Probably won't rattle then,they need to rattle.

Poppa John
22-01-2005, 01:38 PM

Yes. but are they big enough to fit those feet??? PJ :lol:

Poppa John
22-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Yes. but are they big enough to fit those feet??? PJ :lol:

OOPS. just remembered who looks after Pjs & Maryann's computers!!! Begs most abjectly down on knees for Metla's forgiveness!!!! PJ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tux
22-01-2005, 02:34 PM
i try to deal online if i can, i love super cheap pc, fast quality products, like 25 dvd-rs for $20 bucks, thats cheap, and they came the next day, in terms of retail stores, pb tech in penrose has a lot of stock at competitive prices

FoxyMX
22-01-2005, 05:19 PM
The Ascent site is informative, you know if they've got it available and service is good/quick.
Yes, Ascent are good but sometimes they are let down by the buggers that they have to deal with. I am still waiting for a reply to a query I made about a product more than a fortnight ago. It doesn't look like I am going to get it. :(

FoxyMX
22-01-2005, 05:26 PM
PS, hope you're feeling more on top of it Beetle... highly recommend chocolate (also good after dealing with salespeople at computer stores!)
Shhhhhh!!!! Don't you know that it's bad to feed chocoholics?! :eek:

PS: Pass the chocolate this way instead. :D

FoxyMX
22-01-2005, 05:28 PM
LOL cool?

Well then Metla bout time ya updated ya slippers then isnt it????
Maybe some sparkly ones this time..... :lol:

:thumbs:
How much do you want for a photo, Beetle? I am sure a whip around here with a hat could rustle up enough to keep you in chocolate for a few months. ;) :D

beetle
22-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well almost anything is possible for chocolate.......almost.

i been trying to find some lovely slippers online for him, but havent managed to find any nice ones yet.......maybe we need a competition for new slippers for metla......luvs ya sweetie really...... found some amazing fluffy things...slipppers that is.

:lol: :lol:

and ya want a photo of who?
Do i need ask his permission first???? copyright laws are funny things..:p

LOL now im not sure i can send the camera away again if ot breaks from shock this time.... if i take it while running and drop it for any reason........while trying to save me bacon that is.

LOL with or without slippers????? can ya run in slippers????

maybe not go visit for a few days......
i just may not be welcome......... :lol: :lol:

beetle

Shortcircuit
22-01-2005, 07:38 PM
How much do you want for a photo, Beetle? I am sure a whip around here with a hat could rustle up enough to keep you in chocolate for a few months. ;) :D

Chocolate?.... someone mention chocolate???

Unfortunately I'm only slightly receding, no beer belly and the dog ate my fluffy slippers (they are now fur balls in the back yard)

Perhaps you could just send it to me anyway :D

E|im
22-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes, Ascent are good but sometimes they are let down by the buggers that they have to deal with. I am still waiting for a reply to a query I made about a product more than a fortnight ago. It doesn't look like I am going to get it. :(
Who are the buggers that they have to deal with. :confused: Examples...

Do you have any idea how many emails they must get a day? Your 2week old email is probably last out of a thousand emails by now. ;) Email again and perhaps rephrase the question.

From experience you won't get a reply from orders@ascent but sales@ascent will reply.

Metla
26-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Despite unrelenting efforts to track down footage of these mythical pink slippers it has come to nothing, The search proved fruitless.

So you will have to be happy with an artitistic rendition.

http://www.jurgensdemolition.co.nz/pslip.jpg

beetle
26-01-2005, 09:32 PM
LOL

now are you sure metla............. :@@: i havent actually been over your way for ages, so im not totally certain they gone...at all.

PJ ya seen them????

must take camera next time huh???? and do some PI type investigating.....

but, to encourage the risk involved and the actual footage to be gained, payment of vast amounts of chocolate is appreciated...:p

LOL

beetle

FoxyMX
27-01-2005, 05:05 PM
http://www.jurgensdemolition.co.nz/pslip.jpg
Muahahahahaha!

I told you he looked like Henno. :D