PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted data on CF card

FoxyMX
17-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Has anyone had any experience with their CF card getting corrupted?

Just recently our camera has been displaying a "Corrupted data" error when viewing the first photo taken and it produces interesting photos like this (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/stuffed01.jpg) and this (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/stuffed02.jpg). Strangely enough it is only the first photo but it concerns me that the disease may soon spread to others.

Incidentally, the thumbnails views in Windows Explorer show both of those pics as "normal". Now that is really weird... :@@:

Jen
17-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Have you tried reformatting the card using the camera tool and not Windows?

PS* Nice fish ... Blue Cod is it? :D

FoxyMX
17-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes, formatted in the camera several times with no change. The CF card is not removed at all so hasn't been reformatted in Windows. Photos are always transferred via USB cable.

PS* Nice fish ... Blue Cod is it? Yup, and it was smaller than the one I caught not long after by a good 30mm. Mine was 535mm. :D

Murray P
17-01-2005, 07:40 PM
That is, really weird. The image corruption is a bit of a problem as well :D

What's it show when you review the shot, same as once it's downloaded? Have you tried a different card to exclude in camera software? Have you tried a card reader and perhaps different acquiring software (assuming it's not an in camera, then not a card issue)? Is there a firmware update for the camera (assuming it's a camera issue)?

Give it a good scrub in windows, you have nothing to lose.

Don't take the first shot, start with the 2nd, then you won't have this issue :thumbs:

Rob99
17-01-2005, 08:16 PM
You should be able to see the CF card in My Computer to perform some format.

Where and what method was you blue caught, must say half a meter is a good fish.

PaulD
17-01-2005, 11:52 PM
The thumbnail is recorded as part of the JPG by the camera so you have 2 images in the one file. Unlikely to be format problem as the 1st image won't be stored in the same location on the CF card each time.

Strommer
18-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Foxy, does the CF card have a warranty?

Rob99
18-01-2005, 01:18 AM
A simple fix (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/stuffed01_fixed_rob99.jpg)

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 09:42 AM
What's it show when you review the shot, same as once it's downloaded? When reviewed in the camera it sometimes gives the error that the image is corrupted and sometimes shows the image the same as when it is uploaded to the computer.

Have you tried a different card to exclude in camera software? Have you tried a card reader and perhaps different acquiring software (assuming it's not an in camera, then not a card issue)? I don't have a card reader and another card works fine so the main card must be faulty.

Give it a good scrub in windows, you have nothing to lose.There is no option to format the card in Windows, it can only be formatted in the camera which I have done several times with no effect.

Don't take the first shot, start with the 2nd, then you won't have this issue.Yep, will do that and will have to keep an eye on the other pics in case the disease starts spreading. Might be a good excuse to upgrade to a 256MB card soon, too. :D

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Foxy, does the CF card have a warranty?The card is nearly two years old so I guess not.

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 09:56 AM
You should be able to see the CF card in My Computer to perform some format.There is no option in Windows to format the card, unfortunately. Can only do it in the camera.

Where and what method was you blue caught, must say half a meter is a good fish.Er... in the sea 10km from shore and 110 metres deep, on a hook at the end of a fishing rod. :D

Here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/bluey01.jpg) is a pic of my catch with a closeup of the 535mm Big One here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/bluey02.jpg). Reeling those two things up from 110 metres was very hard work and took over five minutes thanks to the bluey fighting like mad and the "orange roughy's" tendency to keep its gob wide open all the way up. My arms are still protesting at the punishment of last weekend. :D

A simple fix
LMAO :D

I knew someone would try fixing it but that takes the cake. Have put it on my desktop. :p

PaulD
18-01-2005, 10:11 AM
What model camera? Does it corrupt the only the 1st pic on a newly formatted card or is it the 1st pic in each in each group that you take?

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 10:34 AM
It is a Canon Digital IXUS V3 and only the first pic on the card gets corrupted, the rest are fine.

I have just formatted it again, taken a few pics and along with the "corrupted data" error it has a thumbnail view of the first pic which does not look corrupted.

The last batch of pics had the view of the corrupted first photo and no error.

It is all rather weird. :confused:

PaulD
18-01-2005, 11:22 AM
This post on DPReview (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=4319157) suggests Ixus s230/V3 have problems with some brands of CF but reported problems have been random corruption not 1st pic on cards. Is the CF you are using the original Canon/Sandisk?

Rob99
18-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Er... in the sea 10km from shore and 110 metres deep, on a hook at the end of a fishing rod. :D

Here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/bluey01.jpg) is a pic of my catch with a closeup of the 535mm Big One here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/bluey02.jpg). Reeling those two things up from 110 metres was very hard work and took over five minutes thanks to the bluey fighting like mad and the "orange roughy's" tendency to keep its gob wide open all the way up. My arms are still protesting at the punishment of last weekend. :D
Looks like you were near Kaikoura, I would call the orange fish a Soldier fish, others buy it in the fish shop as Perch.

Over Xmas I started using a gigging trace with 6 hooks with a pink feather attached to each hook in a similar fasion to a fly hook. On my second drop I got two blue cod in one go, but alias that's all it bought up in a week and a half of fishing.

And just to keep you happy you got the bigger one.

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 12:08 PM
This post on DPReview (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=4319157) suggests Ixus s230/V3 have problems with some brands of CF but reported problems have been random corruption not 1st pic on cards. Is the CF you are using the original Canon/Sandisk?
There are some interesting posts on that forum. One in particular is beginning to make me wonder about whether the battery may have been low when HWMO was using it as the first corrupted photo was taken on one of his trips away. Godfather has previously warned me about the possibility of it happening and I am becoming more and more suspicious that it is the cause of this problem.

From the DPReview forum:

Did you try to record anything with low battery power, where the
camera may have switched itself off? This happened to me once with
my ixus v (last years model) and I read about it in a computer magazine.
Since I know about this, I am very careful not to take pictures when
battery power is low - and did not see the problem again with my
camera (unfortunately others, though). Btw: my camera just displayed
junk (half) images, but did not give a "corrupted" message.

The CF card is not an original Canon card but one recommended by the shop, a Lead Data card. The camera has taken well over three thousand photos with that card in two years so it has had quite a bit of use. :D

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Looks like you were near Kaikoura, I would call the orange fish a Soldier fish, others buy it in the fish shop as Perch.
Yes, they are called soldier fish, also sea perch, Maori chief, Jock Stewarts, gumboots or bu-wackers and even sometimes by their scientific name, Helicolenus Papillosus if they are lucky. :D

Over Xmas I started using a gigging trace with 6 hooks with a pink feather attached to each hook in a similar fasion to a fly hook. On my second drop I got two blue cod in one go, but alias that's all it bought up in a week and a half of fishing.
Blue cod fishing this summer has been very poor for some reason. We struck it lucky on Saturday but we did have to hunt for them. We virtually always bring up a fish on each hook which is why the line had only two hooks for this particular spot - they are too darn heavy for three on a fishing rod at that depth. :p
In shallower waters HWMO used to have five hooks on his line and often brought up a perch on each hook... not my idea of fun. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, tasty bait is better than jigs and flashers but if you don't have any bait they will do.

And just to keep you happy you got the bigger one.
Well, our all-time record for a bluey is 550mm caught last summer... by me, of course. :p :D

Graham L
18-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Ī wonder about the camera. It's more likely than the card to give strange results like that.

If the camera appears as a Removable Disk in the My Computer page, right click should give a Format option, just like a floppy drive. You should be able to do a thorough scandisk on it too.

But if you can get these (and good ones) off the camera with no problems (except the picture quality), you don't need to format the card.

PaulD
18-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Formatting the card in windows can give you the wrong FAT type for your camera. Some flash cards (not usually CF) can have extra camera specific info that a win format will delete.

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Ī wonder about the camera. It's more likely than the card to give strange results like that.I am fairly confident that it isn't the camera, otherwise the other card would display the same problem, I would think.

If the camera appears as a Removable Disk in the My Computer page, right click should give a Format option, just like a floppy drive. You should be able to do a thorough scandisk on it too.Neither right-click nor the File menu gives any options for formatting, as shown by these screenies:
Right click (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/camera-explore02.jpg)
File menu (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/camera-explore01.jpg) and
the D drive (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pics/D-drive.jpg) as a comparison.

Formatting the card in windows can give you the wrong FAT type for your camera. Some flash cards (not usually CF) can have extra camera specific info that a win format will delete. That could be the reason why it doesn't have the format option in Windows. Unless it could be because I am using the USB cable and not a card reader.

Graham L
18-01-2005, 03:42 PM
That looks as if it's being recognised as a "camera or scanner" TWAIN device, not a removable disk. ;-) That probably depends on the way the camera works. Some appear as a disk, some don't. In general you don't format scanners. :o

Some cameras can be used as big floppies for moving files.

Does this happen consistently with this card? Or has it happened only twice, both times when this card happened to be the one in use? ;) Low battery might be the culprit ...

My CFs have been formatted a few times on various computers (one has even been partitioned, and one partition made ext2 for Linux :D) and the camera still works. ;)

I think FAT32 would be used by most cameras ... and any files or directories the camera needs are automatically restored by the camera the first time the card is used. After all, they have to allow for people putting in new cards.

Graham L
18-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Umm. It is happening more than once. Read the damn thread, G. :D

Does it happen for the first picture of a sequence of pictures, or only the first picture put on the card? If you come back a few days later and take more (without removing any) is the first picture corrupted?

A thought occurs ... can you change the properties of files on the CF? What would happen if you make the (corrupt) picture file readonly (so it can't be removed)? Will that get around the problem? Not as good as a cure, but life is short.

PaulD
18-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I think FAT32 would be used by most cameras ... and any files or directories the camera needs are automatically restored by the camera the first time the card is used. After all, they have to allow for people putting in new cards.

I'd check first, may be only last 2 years or so. Canon consumer range cameras with the "Digic" chipset can read FAT32. Earlier than that would be limited to FAT16.

The Olympus cameras using Smartmedia have some panorama mode info on Olympus branded SM. If you wipe that the camera can't replace it, you have to find a card reader and some software to do it.

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 04:14 PM
or only the first picture put on the card? If you come back a few days later and take more (without removing any) is the first picture corrupted? It happens only on the first picture put on the card. I can remove the card, remove the battery, then come back a few days later and only the first picture on the card is (still) corrupted, none of the others.

A thought occurs ... can you change the properties of files on the CF? No, I am unable to change the file properties at all.

Not as good as a cure, but life is short. This card's life is definitely going to be a very short one if it starts corrupting any of the other pictures taken! :D

ninja
18-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Obviously your one is damaged either physically, or the file system on it.

I'd suggest replacing it, they're as cheap as chips now anyway:
http://www.flashcards.co.nz/catalog/ - v. cheap, v.fast.

Graham L
19-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Try renaming the bad file to "KEEPME" and see if that helps (of course if you remember to do what it says). If that directory entry, and the area of the card are in use, other files can't be fouled up in that exact place. ;)

PaulD
19-01-2005, 10:26 PM
That's the odd thing, unlike conventional hard drives, flash medias have controllers that rotate the blocks of storage to even out usage. The 1st picture after each format/complete erase will be in a new physical location each time unless you exactly filled the card before starting again.