PDA

View Full Version : making movies

Fryin Finn
17-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi
I've started making movies on my new PC and what I would like to do is incorporate some footage from some of my PC games. This would involve extracting live footage of the game into AVI or similar format then editing into my movie.
Does anyone have any ideas for extracting stuff from the games either hardware or software requirements :confused:

Lohsing
17-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I'd imagine it would be too CPU intensive to do what you're looking for. A lot of gaming websites I've visited have what look to be handheld camcorder captures of gameplay, although I could be wrong...?

Lo.

Metla
17-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Fraps can record game footage as you play,Don't use it myself but others report excellent results.

In the past i have fed the tv out into a vhs,and then back into comp via a tv capture card,Recently i done it by feeding the signel into the av ports on a dv cam,then back into the comp via fire wire.

And once i even set up 2 comps side by side and went from tv-out on one into a capture card on the other......

george12
17-01-2005, 02:38 PM
That's doing things the hard way!

Just plug straight from TV out to TV in on the same PC!

Works for me :)

Metla
17-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Never worked for me,As soon as the game went full screen the capture app went blank and any captured footage was.....blank.

Other then that,The concept of capturing with an external device (be it another comp,vhs,DV Cam) is so the 2 cpu intensive proccess dont ruin both the game and the recorded footage.

Metla
17-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Well well well.

I just download fraps and ran it,far more featured then the last time i tried it.

I was so impressed I bought it, It captured at high res, full detail and with audio.

The video footage looks to be the same quality as the game itself,although i will have to compare screenshots to qualify that statement.

As to performance,Using my laptop Call of duty was running at full detail 1024x768 and i was getting 100-150 fps before enabling video capture,doing so dropped the frames down to 11fps at its worse point,No idea what it done after that as i was busy feeding hot lead to Nazi's.

The game did stutter from time to time but was playablke for the purpose of recording, and the recorded footage is smooth as silk.

Gets the Metla double thumbs up with a cheesy grin, I look foward to playing with it on my desktop computer, although it will probally mean yet another harddrive.....