PDA

View Full Version : Musical Quiz

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Listen carefully to this fine 1931 recording of "Hot and Anxious" by the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra:
http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/henderson/HotAndAnxious.ram

Then see if you can think of the bandleader who nearly 10 years later used one of the riffs out this tune endlessly repeated to form another (in my view quite inferior) tune, and it's new name please.

A clue, the bandleader disappeared on a flight to Paris in 1944. ;)

Cicero
13-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Glen Miller.

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Right, now the name given to the tune by Glen Miller :cool:

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Listen here (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=013388201010006900&cid=600111), and compare the two tunes.

Cicero
13-01-2005, 05:58 PM
In the mood.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Well done Cicero. But no good Terry asking we classical folks .....
Cheers
Tony

Cicero
13-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Well done Cicero. But no good Terry asking we classical folks .....
Cheers
Tony

Am I right Tony?
Pity Terry wasn't a Rachmanoff fan.
I hear Nesum Dorma in the background.
Not sure about spelling there.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Cicero. I went to the audio site Terry gave, and yes, you do seem to be right. But you are mentioning Rach and Pucc in the same sentence ....Odd. But why should Terry be a Rach fan ? I'm puzzled. Rach was moody, indeed, but was that the point ?
Cheers
Tony

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 06:58 PM
No one sleeps..... otherwise known as Nissan Dormobile a Japanese camper van.

Maybe I was a bit hard on Glen Miller, his version of the tune isnt that bad at all, just that I was never keen on the Miller sound.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 07:12 PM
How about Schubert - Maid of the Miller ........

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Or... whilst we are on the subject of dormobiles, there is a recording of Verdi's La Donne e Mobile where the tenor definitely sings "elephants ears".

Steve Race played it on a My Music program, I think Ian Wallace pointed it out, and the whole team rolled on the floor.

Cicero
13-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Was on the radio as I typed,nes dom.
It would be nice if Terry gathered Rach instead of Tommy Dorsy and co.

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Was on the radio as I typed,nes dom.
It would be nice if Terry gathered Rach instead of Tommy Dorsy and co.
Well, I'm not averse to Grand Opera, not the Glyndebourne, or Mozart, or singing in English, certainly not strangulated Irish, but full bodied Gobi, Di Stefano, Callas etc.

Now click here (http://mfile.akamai.com/6538/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/407/196407_1_13.asx?obj=v10518) to hear Verdi's Elephant's Ears tune :)

Cicero
13-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, I'm not averse to Grand Opera, not the Glyndebourne, or Mozart, or singing in English, certainly not strangulated Irish, but full bodied Gobi, Di Stefano, Callas etc.

Now click here (http://mfile.akamai.com/6538/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/407/196407_1_13.asx?obj=v10518) to hear Verdi's Elephant's Ears tune :)
Very nice too,couldn't name the tenor!

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 08:23 PM
It was a Fernando de la Mora.

Now click here (http://mfile.akamai.com/6538/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/822/487822_1_04.asx?obj=v30529) for some Rachmaninoff, just for you Cicero :)

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 08:25 PM
It was from here:
http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=49561

I had to use IE to get the sound clips to work. FireFox wouldnt do it.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Opera did the Rach variations OK.

Winston001
13-01-2005, 08:34 PM
I must say I do like a spot of Rachmaninoff, and Wagner on occasion.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Wagner on occasion.
Bleeding chunks.... Shades of Newman the music critic...

Cicero
13-01-2005, 08:46 PM
I must say I do like a spot of Rachmaninoff, and Wagner on occasion.

Must say I like the bit Hitler liked from Tannhauser.

Thanks for that Terry.
A friend of mine knew Rach,his father was Benno Moiseiwitsch,the pianist.

Cicero
13-01-2005, 08:55 PM
It was from here:
http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=49561

I had to use IE to get the sound clips to work. FireFox wouldnt do it.
I see you can get complete piece if you have broadband,which I don't,too far from exchange it would seem.

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I see you can get complete piece if you have broadband,which I don't,too far from exchange it would seem.

I think they are all only 1 minute clips. Those times are the track running times on the CD.

I tend to only go for the Wagnerian highlights, I dont go much on the interminable stuff in between:yuck:

I like grand opera for the great performers. It isnt 'grand' if performed by your local amateur enthusiasts, though they may well be enjoying themselves.

I mean who could compare with Maria Callas, not technically the best, but the emotion and passion is everything, and whether she fluffed a note or two is neither here nor there.
Imagine Kiri trying to play a Callas role, like comparing ice with steam.

Same with the 1920s music, there was a passion there, a characteristic of the times which faded as the 30s wore on, until we reached the souless era of 'Cool' and bebop. It is the individual players, Beiderbecke, Armstrong Morton, Mole, not necessarily the composer of the tune that give the thrill, and the ensemble, the band as a whole. Each band is generally recognisable from the way it plays, whereas classical music orchestras don't (to my untrained ears) , they tend to play what the composer wrote with little individual interpretation.

Ok a statement open to dispute, no doubt

But then we each have our own ideas on music, and what we like and dislike.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Each band is generally recognisable from the way it plays, whereas classical music orchestras don't (to my untrained ears) , they tend to play what the composer wrote with little individual interpretation.

Not so, Terry and this is what "classical music" is all about. Orchestras, pianists, quartets, etc etc take the printed stuff and bring it to life. Enthusiasts will have several versions of a symphony or quartet by various groups, because they all yield a different result.

To we classic folk, most bands sound alike ( or do they ....)
Stand by for a blast from Cicero ..

Cheers
Tony

Cicero
13-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I think they are all only 1 minute clips. Those times are the track running times on the CD.

I tend to only go for the Wagnerian highlights, I dont go much on the interminable stuff in between:yuck:

I like grand opera for the great performers. It isnt 'grand' if performed by your local amateur enthusiasts, though they may well be enjoying themselves.

I mean who could compare with Maria Callas, not technically the best, but the emotion and passion is everything, and whether she fluffed a note or two is neither here nor there.
Imagine Kiri trying to play a Callas role, like comparing ice with steam.

Same with the 1920s music, there was a passion there, a characteristic of the times which faded as the 30s wore on, until we reached the souless era of 'Cool' and bebop. It is the individual players, Beiderbecke, Armstrong Morton, Mole, not necessarily the composer of the tune that give the thrill, and the ensemble, the band as a whole. Each band is generally recognisable from the way it plays, whereas classical music orchestras don't (to my untrained ears) , they tend to play what the composer wrote with little individual interpretation.

But then we each have our own ideas on music, and what we like and dislike.

The fact is I don't have a passion for music,I love it but no passion,I envy those who have a passion of any kind.I have a mate whose passion is the NZ brown teal,30 years and he is as keen as ever.

Do you remember Ivy Benson,she was at Butlins when I was there in the 50's.

Cicero
13-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Not so, Terry and this is what "classical music" is all about. Orchestras, pianists, quartets, etc etc take the printed stuff and bring it to life. Enthusiasts will have several versions of a symphony or quartet by various groups, because they all yield a different result.

Cheers
Tony
Don't think I am as pure as you Tony,I tend to like sweet melodious music,hence Fauré Debussy etc.

Terry Porritt
13-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Cheers
Tony

Of course you are right Tony, when I stop to think about it.

I think next HTOTM at the end of January, we'll look at George Gershwin, and "symphonic jazz" as played by Paul Whiteman. The original 1924 Whiteman acoustic recording of Rhapsody in Blue and their later 1928 version both with Gershwin himself on piano, I still regard as among the best ever recorded.

This maybe bridges the divide between 'classical' orhestral music and danceband/jazz, well sort of.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 10:25 PM
But how about Benny Goodman in Carnegie Hall 1938.. marvellous ..

Murray P
13-01-2005, 10:25 PM
A spot of Gershwin would be nice TP. Ever heard Janis Joplin's rendition of Summertime? hmm, on second thoughts, It'd probably curl your toes and curdle your guts.

The Hot & Anxious tune is cool, although the wife prefers the later itteration "you can dance to it", she would anyway being a Miller fan.

Elephant ears is a hoot, the singings not too shaby either, I wouldn't know too much about what makes a well rendered version though, not being a classical fan. All the same I find that I can appreciate more classical now than I could. As long as it isn't rap or bubble gum music, I guess it's good.

TonyF
13-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Don't think I am as pure as you Tony,I tend to like sweet melodious music,hence Fauré Debussy etc.
Fair enough. I am Bach to Mahler, and the Shostakovich quartets ( but not the symphonies..) More Germanic than French, I guess. Long live Concert FM !!
Tony

Dally
14-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Murray P. They have just played Janis Joplin's Summertime on National Radio but the version with Jimmy Hendrix which is a bit different from the version I have which is with her own band Big Brother and the Holding Company.