PDA

View Full Version : Changing DVD jumper settings

werq
13-01-2005, 09:14 AM
I want to change my DVD jumper setting to secondary slave (it is now secondary master). I don't know which jumper configuration is secondary slave. it doesnt' say on the drive and i don't have a manual. Can somebody help? It is a really old pioneer dvd rom (6x). I can't seem to find anything on the pioneer website.

CYaBro
13-01-2005, 09:41 AM
If you look at the back of the drive with the IDE connector on it, have the power connector on the right, there should be a set of 6 (or maybe more) pins to the left of the IDE connector.
The jumper should be on the 2 closest to the IDE connector if, as you say, it is set to master.
Move the jumper to the next 2 pins to the left, so it is in on the middle 2 pins of the 6. That will set it to slave.
It will then become secondary slave if you plug it back into the same IDE cable.

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Where the jumper is on the dvd, there maybe letters etched on it.

SL = Slave
MA = Master
CS = Cable Select

werq
13-01-2005, 03:25 PM
If you look at the back of the drive with the IDE connector on it, have the power connector on the right, there should be a set of 6 (or maybe more) pins to the left of the IDE connector.
The jumper should be on the 2 closest to the IDE connector if, as you say, it is set to master.
Move the jumper to the next 2 pins to the left, so it is in on the middle 2 pins of the 6. That will set it to slave.
It will then become secondary slave if you plug it back into the same IDE cable.

Are the jumper settings the same no matter which model etc it is? (coz these settings seem to be the same as the one for my CD writer (for which i have the manual).

CYaBro
13-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Every single IDE device I have seen, HDD, DVD/CD drive, zip drive etc have all had the same jumper settings.
6 pins in 2 rows of 3, usually to the left of the IDE connector but not always.

Looking at the pins, from left to right, it should look like this - : : :

The first 2 pins, one above the other, are for Cable select.
2nd 2 pins are for Slave
3rd lot of 2 pins are for Master

Put the jumper on whichever 2 pins you want that relates to the setting you want.
Beware that you can't have 2 IDE devices on the same cable that have the jumper on the same setting except for Cable Select.