PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't start.... sometimes

rover1nz
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi there, need a bit of help with a problem......

Every now and then when i turn on the computer I get an error message saying "Warning the hard disk has been changed. Hard disk boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check"
when I enter the bios it says I have no hard drive (only cdwriter)

When I use the win98 setup disk I get a message saying "Win98 has detected that c drive does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 Partition"

When I type c:/dir i get "volume in drive c is ms-ramdrive" Then a list of 15
files.

If i type "FDISK /STATUS" I get "No fixed disk present"

Total disk size is 2,048kb Usually 4.3Gb

The 3 reasons that it gives me for not being able to start are (briefly) .......

1 Drive may need to be partitioned
2 3rd party disk partitioning software (I don't have that)
3 A virus

I know that it's not option 2. Can anybody tell me what the problem might be. It only does this approx 1/10 times I turn the computer on. The other 9 times it is perfectly normal. Is this a virus or a warning that my hard drive is packing up?

Also...

If i type "FDISK /STATUS" I get "No fixed disk present"

Total disk size is 2,048kb Usually 4.3Gb

Another problem I have that may be related is when I try to Defrag drive c, it get to 10% and up pops an error message telling me that the contents of c: have changed and it restarts the defrag from the beginning. It does this over and over.

I have done all the virus scans, spyware scans etc. Found nothing.
No loose cables etc

The problem eventually seems to fix itself if I restart often enough, usually 5th or 6th time.

Sorry for the long post but i thought i should include as much info as possible.

Hope someone can help...
Thanks

rover1nz
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry I just realised I put this in the wrong forum. I hate being new lol

george12
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
That's OK, Moderators can just move the thread. But since you have remade the thread, I expect this will just be deleted.

Raikyn
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Just for futher reference you can PM the mods and ask for it to be moved.
I'm sure they are a considerate bunch of people who don't mind helping out a newbie :thumbs:

Jen
11-01-2005, 10:27 PM
I won't move this thread now, seeing as there is a duplicate thread in the PressF1 forum, and if I merge it with the other one, it will end up looking rather odd :p

Everyone just head over here (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53232) for the right thread. :)