PDA

View Full Version : Interesting New Technology (Amstrad!)

andrew93
11-01-2005, 05:51 AM
I was out buying a CMOS battery at Dixons (they are to the UK what Dick Smiths are to NZ - see my other post as to why...) and saw this new piece of technology which I hadn't seen in NZ.

For those who remember Amstrad, well it looks like they are back.

For 99 (less than $300) you get a home video-phone with an answerphone, in-built text and pxt messaging, e-mail and internet access plus I think it also handles faxes. There is a dinky wee keyboard & an LCD screen that is about 4 inches by about 6 inches plus you can connect it up to a normal printer. There is also a pull-out keyboard that would be smaller than a laptop keyboard. I couldn't see the OS but I think it was MS based. No point bringing one back because it requires a contract etc with BT (in this scenario the phone company become the ISP and all internet/e-mail access is charged at dial-up rates on a pay as you go scheme). It's pretty much an all-in-one communication centre.

This link (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/232319.html) shows what it looks like to give you an idea but be aware that the site doesn't list all of the features.

I thought it was quite cool and wondered if anyone had one or if anyone had come across one in NZ.

Cheers, Andrew

P.S. I'm not affiliated with Amstrad
P.P.S. another cool chararcter from the UK keyboard , that makes an interesting emoticon :)

Terry Porritt
11-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Interesting device. That Comet Warehouse has been going for years and years. I bought a BSR turntable from them about 1970, still have it.

Dixons used to be more into photography, if it's the same Dixons I'm thinking of.

I suppose Telecom/Xtra could well introduce similar devices here.

Graham L
11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Amstrad made some pretty clever stuff. I wonder if Alan Sugar is still (again?) the head brain there. The Amstrad stuff was usually better made than Sinclair's ...

Billy T
11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Dixons used to be more into photography, if it's the same Dixons I'm thinking of.

I think it is Terry, they were adding electronics to their photography base as far back as the mid 70's so with the changes in technology and their huge High Street base it would not be surprising if they had a heavy emphasis in electronics now. I remember noticing a major change of market direction over quite a short period of time. I went across to the continent for a couple of months and when I came back I hardly recognised them.

Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be, having undergone a significant change in market direction itself since those days. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :eek:

Cicero
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Interesting device. That Comet Warehouse has been going for years and years. I bought a BSR turntable from them about 1970, still have it.

I suppose Telecom/Xtra could well introduce similar devices here.

That must have been a while ago Terry,they were like DSE when I was last there in 86.

Terry Porritt
12-01-2005, 07:34 AM
During the 50's, 60's and even the 70's, Dixons used to be more or less just a camera chain store, where you could get good bargains. Now I see it is into consumer electronics, also see that Currys is also part of the group. Currys used to be into whiteware, vacuum cleaners , radios etc. Dixons dont seem to sell electronic components though as DSE do.

Dixons (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1272518347.110546738 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddhejkmhjcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&chain=Dixons&channel=WEB&browserName=default%20browser&browserVersion=0&platform=default&firstrun=yes&page=Home&timestamp=06:14:10&page=Home&chain=Dixons&channel=WEB&timestamp=06:14:10&browserName=default%20browser&browserVersion=0&platform=default)

Terry Porritt
12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Another thing that changed after I left was Limited Liability companies, Ltd. Now they are all plc, public limited company.

Cicero
12-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Another thing that changed after I left was Limited Liability companies, Ltd. Now they are all plc, public limited company.
Now we are getting into the old nostagia. :D
Those were the days!

andrew93
12-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Dixons dont seem to sell electronic components though as DSE do.

Good point. On reflection it is more the layout and store colour that reminded me of DSE, rather than the stock they carry. It was struggle trying to find a BIOS battery. There was a lot of home electronic equipment but I don't recall seeing any camera / photography equipment, although in fairness I wasn't looking for it.

Andrew