PDA

View Full Version : The Letter *I* in mobile phone

Ninjabear
08-01-2005, 03:43 AM
There has been much debate on the letter I which appears next to the model number of a mobile phone

For Example.Sony Ericsson K700i,Sharp gx30i.

What does this I mean?

Some say that because they've upgraded the software they have added the letter I next to the mobile number.

Sony NZ told me the I just stands for international.Other place like China will call it Sony Ericsson K700C which stands for chinese.You will be able to view,or text using simplified or traditional chinese

however...

Hong Kong calls it Sony ericsson k700i and it has english and chinese built it.You can send and receive txt messages in english or chinese.

What does the I mean?

They call it Sony Ericsson k500i elsewhere and they've called it Sony Ericsson f500i.

Why the name change?Confusing

godfather
08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
It has no consistent meaning among differing brands.

Are you suggesting that there is a governing body that co-ordinates the phone model numbers among competeing brands to ensure they all have a similar "meaning"?

Because there is no such thing, so any model variants are part of the marketing strategies of each company and have no consistent meaning.

They could indicate firmware variations for specific carriers as an example. Or not.

Graham L
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Maybe that's the idiot's model.
Or it's an interim model -- to keep the "early adopters" happy until the version which works is ready ...

Poppa John
09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
i is for the fuel injection model PJ :D :D :D

Cicero
10-01-2005, 05:05 AM
i is for the fuel injection model PJ :D :D :D

I know A is for adorable and B is...... ;)

Billy T
10-01-2005, 04:24 PM
i is for the fuel injection model PJ

Ah....., well you might jest PJ :rolleyes:, but if fuel cell development continues apace, we might well literally be injecting fuel into our cell phones before too long.

Just wait till the first i-phone explodes in the pocket of an early-adopter :D, reconstructive surgery might be needed to restore full functionality, especially if the battery was facing inwards. :horrified

Cheers

Billy 8-{)