PDA

View Full Version : Sickening

Metla
07-01-2005, 11:58 PM
http://news.com.com/Gates+taking+a+seat+in+your+den/2008-1041_3-5514121.html?tag=nefd.lede

george12
08-01-2005, 05:14 AM
That, Metla.....

Is a very accurate title.

george12
08-01-2005, 05:43 AM
http://news.com.com/Plays+for+sure+means+Microsofts+inside/2100-1025_3-5324402.html?tag=nl

The arrogance of these people (the MS ones) is staggering (in cases). It is saddening indeed.

bsssst
08-01-2005, 05:59 AM
http://news.com.com/Gates+taking+a+seat+in+your+den/2008-1041_3-5514121.html?tag=nefd.lede

Metla,

Theirs one little gem in that aptly titeled mess.

"Mesh Networks"

3-10 or more users sharing a 10-20 gb data cap fast connection and each paying according to personall useage or a fixed percentage and their percentage of any excess over cap on 1 connection.

1 connection fee 10 users.

Something the theives at Telecom definately dont want to see.

Why are such systems not promoted buy users in places such as this, in this country???

Are the majority of users all confirmed Telecom Victims permating the "Im a victim so you must be too" mentality??

agent
08-01-2005, 09:48 AM
I'd like to see small wireless nodes sharing one fast connection between several neighbouring houdrd, but alas, like you say, not many people seem to think of things like this as a possibility.

george12
08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Even better...

Peer several 2Mbit connections between say 5 friends = 10Mbps link.

Share this between the 5 people as a 10Mbit burstable connection, where all share, but all have access to the huge speed.

Is there any easy way to share traffic between multiple internet connections? Assuming you would have 5 separate IP addresses...

agent
08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Easiest way I can think of right now would be to get five internal ADSL modems and bridge them, though I'm not quite sure if that achieves what you want it to do (I'm not quite thinking straight).

PcNut
08-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Is it just me?
As I fail to see the link between "Sickening" & what I just watched.
Can you fill me in on the relationship?

PcNut
08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
The arrogance of these people (the MS ones) is staggering (in cases). It is saddening indeed.
Why?

Baldy
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
GEORGE & CO.

If you think its sickening non't buy anything in the future made by MS. In fact, throw your computer down the dunny and go read a book or have your brain fryed by mindless dribble on the TV.

Personally, I don't get why you are all so dang paranoid about MS. Your endless rantings are very similar to when the motor car was invented and some poor dude was made to walk in front of the car waving a flag so not to scare the horses ~ or whatever its purpose was.

But what you write here makes humourous reading. I'll give you that

:@@: :groan:

Baldy
08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Is it just me?

No PcNut, its not you. You can't see the link as you're not a member of the flat earth society.

:p

george12
08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
GEORGE & CO.

If you think its sickening non't buy anything in the future made by MS. In fact, throw your computer down the dunny and go read a book or have your brain fryed by mindless dribble on the TV.

Personally, I don't get why you are all so dang paranoid about MS. Your endless rantings are very similar to when the motor car was invented and some poor dude was made to walk in front of the car waving a flag so not to scare the horses ~ or whatever its purpose was.

Haha

I have no problem with Microsoft software apart from IE. And IE is not the issue. My opinion would be no different if I loved IE.

I said that because of the angle whoever the guy being interviewed was taking on things. I just thought it a little arrogent at times. I have no problem with others disagreeing of course.

Naturally I wasn't really sickened by it al...

Sorry for making you laugh :)

hamstar
08-01-2005, 01:55 PM
advertising is the politically correct word for spam...

This is just another thing that those monopolistic bastards can get their hands on.

In the end, MS will control everything. And for one company to control everything, it's not good. It stops innovation, it stops competition, and by far the worst thing, it stops care for the consumer.

Look at MS now, all their incomplete beta operating systems on the market, buggy as frank, and it is the consumer that suffers.

And microsoft don't give a sh*t about you. Once they've got your money, they couldn't care wether you had to restart your computer 6 times a day so you could actually use the thing comfortably.

Its terrible, its disgusting, its bad practice, and its rife. These bastards need to be stopped. And as quickly as possible.

http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

All you microsoft lovers out there have got to see the light. Microsoft is not good for business. Its not good for consumer. THEY ARE BAD NEWS!

george12
08-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Put it this way - it's like a complex router thingy.

Here is a crude diagram.

www.jgi.co.nz/images/networkdiag.bmp

Sb0h
08-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Hamstar, do we not live in a free market?? No one is forcing anyone here to purchase MS products. There are alternatives and everyone is free to use them. Get a grip, if MS brings a product to market for content managment and delivery or a new technology or whatever, someone else will come out with a competing product. Sure they are a huge company and some of their take/stand over tactics are a bit on the nose but they are successful because they marketed their products well.

At the end of the day if you don't like MS then let your wallet do the talking and don't buy from them!!

:rolleyes:

Metla
08-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Is it just me?

No,I'll let you think for yourself.

I hope you enjoy your bxox brand comp with pay to view media sometime in the future.

Metla
08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
GEORGE & CO.

And the motor car had proven to be a blessing hasn't it?

Nice example, Destroy the planet and kill people.

Sb0h
08-01-2005, 02:48 PM
And the motor car had proven to be a blessing hasn't it?

Nice example, Destroy the planet and kill people.

:lol:

PcNut
08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
advertising is the politically correct word for spam...
In the end, MS will control everything. And for one company to control everything, it's not good. It stops innovation, it stops competition, and by far the worst thing, it stops care for the consumer.
Its terrible, its disgusting, its bad practice, and its rife. These bastards need to be stopped. And as quickly as possible.
All you microsoft lovers out there have got to see the light. Microsoft is not good for business. Its not good for consumer. THEY ARE BAD NEWS!
What a load of absolute tripe!
Go back to School, get an engineering degree, build a bridge & get over it!
If left to the likes of you & your ilk we'd still be carving round things from rocks, rolling them down hills & shouting out "wheel" "wheel"
There is nothing stopping others being as innovative as M$oft has been, nothing at all.
Tell ya what, lets pull every M$oft app there is from use & we'll replace them all with.....?
Hmmm... I can't actually think of many at the moment.

And as far as "M$oft controlling everything"
1. Dont believe everything you stumble across on the great intarweb.
2. Stop watching so much TV
3. Get out & catch some sun, you're suffering from a Vitiman C deficiency
4. Change your username to gullible_2
(You can't have gullible or gullible_1 'cause Metla & george will be taking those respectively.)

Metla
08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Pcnut,Hows about you don't go calling me names.

Good idea child?

And when were MS inovative?

Hilarious.

Are you a rocket scientist by any chance?

PcNut
08-01-2005, 03:00 PM
No,I'll let you think for yourself..
No chance, I'm a brainwashed M$oft consumer
"there are no alternatives, there are no alternatives, there are no alternatives, ther are no alternatives, there are no alternatives, there are no alternatives, there are no alternatives, there are no alternatives..........."

I hope you enjoy your bxox brand comp with pay to view media sometime in the future.
Unfortunately pay as you go is here to stay, no matter where you look.
Education, Rugby on TV, SkyTV, GST, Income Tax, Airport taxes, Internet charges on & on & on.....
If you don't want it DON"T BUY IT simple really.

Sb0h
08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
You bring up an interesting point Metla. It depends what you mean by innovative. I think licensing MS-DOS to IBM was pretty innovative. Many of their software products are not that innovative but their marketing strategy certainly was back at the beginning. Mind you they are a very different organisation now.

Metla
08-01-2005, 03:07 PM
You might as well stop now son,

At the moment i can do anything i like with my media either on my comp or with my stereo/tv/dvd/vhs.

I have no intention of paying to view MS media streamed via an xbox,nor pay a monthly fee to use Office,However I can and will frown on the attitude and asperations of ms,not to mention the quality of their products.

Why don't you show us your dazzling wit and cutting intelligence by repeating that No Alternative mantra from earlier.

Not worth arguing with you,Go bact to your matchbox cars.

PcNut
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Good idea child?
Hey that's not my name! Stop calling me names! :horrified

And when were MS inovative?

Ummm, they've been innovative enought to provide you with a living, or have you pulled all their products from your shelves & stopped repairing anything that reeks of the M$oft

Hilarious.
Are you a rocket scientist by any chance?
Don't hold back, say what you really mean.
And if you could read binary you'd know exactly what I was :stare:

PcNut
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
You might as well stop now son,
Why don't you show us your dazzling wit and cutting intelligence by repeating that No Alternative mantra from earlier.
Gee I thought I already had, I must be slipping :help:

Never had any matchbox cars, my first toy was an old Mainframe, I ended up using it to send some tourists to the moon back in the 60's

Metla
08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
You seem a little slow,I shall spell it out for you.

I do not care what you think of MS,nor was I trying to convince you to share my views, I would apreciate if you didn't make multiple rambling posts attacking a viewpont that was never expressed.

I appluad you for being able to think for yourself,But the above posts are purile rubbish.

Metla
08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
wait,I missed this

Ummm, they've been innovative enought to provide you with a living, or have you pulled all their products from your shelves & stopped repairing anything that reeks of the M$oft

Laughable,Microsoft's attitude to software has indeed earned me a dollar or 2,Their slack attitue and arrogance to be precise.

hamstar
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
My view that MS are going to take over is gained from the information i have seen.

I have not been brainwashed, from what I can see MS are getting secure footholds to take over the market and eventually the world.

From seeing how TCPA and DRM can be deployed to them sticking thier fingers in every single pie they see anyone elses fingers in.

They will take over. I am conspiring here. I warn you now. When the fritz chips come out, and you can't install linux on your pc because its not "Approved by the Higher Authority" will you still think theres choice?

But, oh. If you don't like MS don't buy it. I'm not. But what about the millions of mindless drones that are n00bs, and run XP? The millions that upgrade as soon as MS release a new product.

Microsoft has you all on tethered leashes, and you are in their control. They have their marketing departments using physciatrists to brainwash you into buying their products... well maybe not you. But the millions of mindless drones anyway. They do what MS say.

MS say Upgrade... they upgrade.
MS say [put action here]... they [put action here]

its nasty, and I can see it happening. You'll see... just wait a couple years and you'll see....

PcNut
08-01-2005, 03:43 PM
You seem a little slow
Ouch! Now that hurt

I would apreciate if you didn't make multiple rambling posts

Very good advice. Take it.

But the above posts are purile rubbish.
I agree, please don't make anymore

Short term memory loss is a terrible thing
Bad Ram possibly?

Metla
08-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Well done Champ,I am dazzled.

Roflmao.

PcNut
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Well done Champ,I am dazzled.

Roflmao.
Yeah, I dazzle me sometimes too
I wish it would stop raining & I could go outside

Metla
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Beautiful sunny day in paradise Wanganui....apart from the 300mph winds and heavy cloud......

Still, It means we can sit inside and sweat :groan:

agent
08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Sure Microsoft has been innovative at some points, and I know they can't do everything by themselves, but check out the sheer quantity of companies they have bought in this list (http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/catalog/catalog.shtml).

Sb0h
08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Sure Microsoft has been innovative at some points, and I know they can't do everything by themselves, but check out the sheer quantity of companies they have bought in this list (http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/catalog/catalog.shtml).

An impressive list and you are correct MS do buy out a lot of their competition. I only wish they would offer millions of dollars for my company, I'd be happy. Thanks for the dosh guys now I can retire in luxury :thumbs:

Dally
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Come on you pair - don't stop this is good entertainment. I have PcNut slightly ahead on points but I think Metla will have something in reserve

Jen
08-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Come on you pair - don't stop this is good entertainment. I have PcNut slightly ahead on points but I think Metla will have something in reserveI don't think it is in either Metla's or PcNut's best interest to carry on with this *discussion*. Debates are good, but let's keep it friendly and the name calling out please .... consider this a warning.

Dally
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't condone the name calling parts but some of the good clean repartee was very good.

MartynC
08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I would perfer they got their current stuff woring okay first, before going off on tangets! :badpc:

bsssst
09-01-2005, 03:49 AM

Anybody got an updated version of that list.

bsssst
09-01-2005, 04:00 AM
I'd like to see small wireless nodes sharing one fast connection between several neighbouring houdrd, but alas, like you say, not many people seem to think of things like this as a possibility.

Sad really because so many of the newer high density semi detached/apartment style developments are made for mixed giga net and wireless lan connected to 1 server gateway and 1 satalite connection for internett and satalite tv/phone.

There must be some opening in here somewhere to break the 1 dwelling, 1 or more internett connections with P/month fees, Telecom monopoly.

Billy T
09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I often wonder why so many people are disparaging about Microsoft (or any other "very big company") and its ability to develop new markets, or why they get so heated about its products.

There are very few successful businesses in this world that have been built entirely on original thought, the vast majority exploit technology, innovations and ideas created by others so Microsoft is nothing new or unique. Apple exploited the work of electronics designers and assembled a personal computer, IBM did likewise, Intel got its start in a similar fashion, software writers exploit the work of those who came before them and wrote/developed the tools they use or build upon. Go to the Warehouse and you can buy any number of cheap knock-off copyright-breaching clones of regular quality products. People keep buying them and nobody posts diatribes about the evil empire of Stephen Tindall.

I doubt that any of the detractors of 'big business' would act any differently if they created a successful enterprise for themselves. Once a business gets too big for one person to continue as the be-all and end-all guru who designs and develops everything from the initial concept to the final packaging and marketing, they all use the skills of their employees and others outside their walls to expand their enterprise. In figurative terms, it is all done by little people sitting at numbered desks.

That is pretty much the fundamental economic basis of modern capitalist society so why waste time bleating about it? Make your choices and abandon MS products if you wish, feel sorry for those who don't, if you feel a need for superiority, but respect their right to choose, and remember that for the greater majority of MS users it is simply a non-event.

I'm not necessarily saying that I like MS particularly either, but I do accept that I make the decisions and have as much ability to choose as I have in just about any other aspect of consumer society. There is not infinite choice available in any field so make the choices you perceive to be the best for you and be happy.

Life is too short to waste getting burned up over Microsoft, Toyota, Ford, IBM, banks and finance houses, Donald Trump, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all. They will cruise onwards and prosper, leaving a trail of satisfied customers and investors in their wake, and with a few dissidents (some of whom may well be proven right in another 100 years) snapping at their heels.

I've said it before: It is good for a dog to have a few fleas, it stops him worrying about the fact that he's a dog, and venting your angst on PF1 is just that, fleas on a dog! You won't draw enough blood to bother Bill Gates or any other entrepreneur.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Metla
09-01-2005, 05:50 PM
It would have been good if we were capable of discussing the ideas put foward in the interview without the utter utter bollucks posted so far.

He said quite a few things that would be of interest to people on a tech forum,Instead we get rantings about people being anti-MS,Rantings about MS enslaving the human race...and Billy doing what Billy does....

Might as well delete the thread,Its been devalued in every way possible.

zqwerty
09-01-2005, 07:20 PM
The Free Lunch Is Over

http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm

zqwerty
09-01-2005, 07:21 PM
What's So Bad About Microsoft?

http://kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

Horace
09-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Mr Metla
Do you boycott/refuse to sell MS products in your computer store or do you enjoy the profits that selling these products bring?

Metla
09-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Stupid question.

Which product covered in the interview are you asking about?

And if i did,where do you see the relivence?

PcNut
10-01-2005, 09:34 PM
It would have been good if we were capable of discussing the ideas put foward in the interview without the utter utter bollucks posted so far.
Might as well delete the thread,Its been devalued in every way possible.

LOL, roll on another rainy day :D

ninja
12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey Guy's... what's going on in this thread?

Does anyone think word limits on posts (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=310540&postcount=41) would be a good idea...

Jen
12-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey Guy's... what's going on in this thread?

Does anyone think word limits on posts (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=310540&postcount=41) would be a good idea...Nothing is going on here, right ninja?

I don't think word limits are required on posts ... afterall, better one complete post than a whole heap of little ones with little useful information. :)

Greg
14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Does anyone think word limits on posts (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=310540&postcount=41) would be a good idea...

LOL Hilarious! :D

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2005, 12:53 PM
We could possibly implement it, but it would mean I cannot freely express my expertise for fear of breaking it..... ;)

george12
14-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Murray and Billy would be mortified. And what about FAQ's?!