PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - Claiming GST

Valerie
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Is there any way an overseas visitor can claw back GST on goods bought with the intention of taking them out of the country? (Obviously not from the Duty Free Shops)

ninja
06-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Is there any way an overseas visitor can claw back GST on goods bought with the intention of taking them out of the country? (Obviously not from the Duty Free Shops)
I don't know the legality of it, but are you suggesting she go back into the shop and get the GST refunded? Or go through some government channel?

I think it's pretty unrealistic unless it's for a significant sum of money.

Safari
06-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Visitors to New Zealand must pay GST on all goods and services that they buy in New Zealand. There is no refund of GST available when you leave New Zealand.

godfather
06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Countries such as the UK have this facility, at the airport departure area.
Provided you can survive the 2 hour wait and surly service.

Not available here though, or Australia as far as I know.

Safari
06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Can I obtain a refund of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine eqalisation tax (WET) that I pay on goods while visiting Australia?
The Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) enables you to claim back GST and WET on certain goods that you buy in Australia. The refund only applies to goods you take with you as hand luggage when you leave the country. The are specific methods for claiming a refund, as well as some restrictions. It is advisable to familiarise yourself with the rules before you go. Go to the Australian Customs Service website for details of the scheme.

Winston001
06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Valerie - yes it is possible but I don't know the details. I believe the arrangements have to be made at the time of purchase and probably the shop has to be familiar with the procedure. I know shops in Arrowtown advertise tax-free purchases for tourists.

~sy~
06-01-2005, 10:41 PM
You can't do it in New Zealand, see here (http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Departing+From+New+Zealand/GST+on+Purchases.htm) However, if you're a tourist -then things will be different, see bottom of this page (http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Arriving+in+New+Zealand/Allowances/Tourists+Allowances.htm)

As far as I'm aware, the Aussies do offer refunds. Not 100% sure though...

drb1
07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Comes under the export goods rebate area and can be applied to all assets purchased for export.

There is i belive a restriction on the time frame between purchase and export date.

Can be applied to items brought as gifts for export or for offshore usage buy resident's, but the IRD will make life difficult/uneconomic for claimants.

Bit like so many GST reviews deliberatly instigated to turn any benifit from a refund in a contributing sum to the cost of the review.

D.

somebody
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I know many tourist shops will let you buy tax free provided you get them to post the goods out of the country.

Valerie
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies and url's

V...