PDA

View Full Version : Do you want free web hosting?

robsonde
05-01-2005, 11:50 AM
after seeing a thread about people have problems finding good free web hosting....

I currently run my website from my own hosting in my own house.
this system would let me host for other too.

I am thinking about offering free hosting to F1 members and friends and such like.

current system is apache on openBSD unix.
mysql is installed.

who would be interested?
how much space do you need?
what services would you want access to?
ftp?
mail?
MYSQL?
PHP?
perl??
shell access??

I am thinking about offering about 5Mb per person.

remember this may never come to anything but i am thinking about it.

Prescott
05-01-2005, 11:56 AM
well done robsonde,
im going to just use my school one, actually come to think of it, i really dont need a website :)........... yet

sambaird
05-01-2005, 12:49 PM
yea i would be interested im sick of the crapy free hosting such as tripod and geocities
ftp and 5mb of storage would be good
if you ever do tell me and ill get an acount

ninja
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Could set up a torrent tracker....

robsonde
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
at this time i find that the bit torrent system is not 100% compaible with my moral ethics system :-)

Edward
05-01-2005, 03:01 PM
how about a Linux distro torrent tracker? Sure would help me out on dial-up :)

also I might need a place to park my new project; FireFS

agent
05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
What's this FireFS project then? Do tell us!

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I could sure go for Shell access... Current ones suck.

Whats your connection speed like?

robsonde
05-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I could sure go for Shell access... Current ones suck.

Whats your connection speed like?

right now i am on dial up......

if i offer hosting i will get some sort of capped ASDL.

Edward
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
What's this FireFS project then? Do tell us!

Open Source forum software. I know very little PHP, so it's more for my experimentation than anything else. Anyway, I managed to get SF to host it. I still stand by my "Linux distro torrent tracker" idea though ;)

Webbase
05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
right now i am on dial up......

if i offer hosting i will get some sort of capped ASDL.

I have friends running boxes off 128K jetstart and it works surprisingly well.

You just have to watch that traffic or get a plan that just slows you down instead of charging you for extra MB.

You may also want to be careful with allocating shell access to your server as it is very difficult to secure. E.g. just grant it to friends/trusted users.

robsonde
05-01-2005, 08:47 PM
You may also want to be careful with allocating shell access to your server as it is very difficult to secure. E.g. just grant it to friends/trusted users.

my offer of shell access is kind of a joke... I dont think i will be offering it to anyone.

as for the connection...... thinking of a speed limited ADSL plan of some sort.

somebody
06-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Bear in mind most home Jetstream plans prohibit the hosting of webservers etc.

Greg
06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I still stand by my "Linux distro torrent tracker" idea though

I don't know much about Torrent, but won't the news about it, such as below, make it a bit redundant?

BitTorrent (http://news.com.com/A+new+hope+for+BitTorrent/2100-1032_3-5512230.html?tag=nefd.lede)

Prescott
06-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Bear in mind most home Jetstream plans prohibit the hosting of webservers etc.

how, do you have to agree to this?? is it in the terms and conditions, who cares its your own internet connection

somebody
06-01-2005, 07:06 PM
how, do you have to agree to this?? is it in the terms and conditions, who cares its your own internet connection
Yup - in the Jetstream Terms of Use which you must agree to (tick the box when you sign up), it says that you may not host any server (email, web etc.) using a residential Jetstream plan. Whether or not you choose to obey those conditions is another story altogether.

george12
07-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Orcon lets me.

I e-mailed them when I signed up (in fact it's the reason I'm with them. Static IP etc).

I have about 200MB / day going through with 192k upstream (2Mbit down) and it does work really well indeed.

I use a Windows box though, and certainly wouldn't offer any type of access. I'm only doing hosting for friends and existing customers though, as the 192k is pretty much full.

George

robsonde
07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
that what i have been looking at today :-)

how many sites do you host?

Prescott
07-01-2005, 08:33 PM
anyone here that goes to high school here?
well if you do this may interest you,
do you have to log on with an enrollment number and a password when you want to use a computer at school??,and does your school have a website? i do and i have my own website hosted by the school server, so you may too.
the site will be http://www.xxx.school.nz/myinternet (x is the name of your school) and use your log on name/number and password, hopefully your school data manager has enabled it :)

Prescott
07-01-2005, 08:40 PM
damn, looks like she changed my password :annoyed: they must of reset my password in the new year.....

agent
07-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Only schools who have their Internet access provided by a special package that Telecom has available should be giving their students personal websites.

Not every school does this, so obviously not every student could have their own website - besides which, I believe it's optional to allow students their own space.

george12
08-01-2005, 01:33 AM
that what i have been looking at today :-)

how many sites do you host?

Not many.

About 7 or so, but only two that generate significant traffic (my shop and www.katatoonz.com + forums). They are paying though.

Which is why I am not taking any more free customers unless it's a real small site (under 100MB/month - around 500 visits/month in other words). Not worried about storage. And I speed-cap them now, to 120Kbps.

If you still want some hosting from me and aren't worried about the restrictions, PM me. BTW, any kind of script (ASP, ASP.net, php, perl etc) is fine, as is e-mail @ yourdomain (if you want a domain).

Enough said... Off to play GTA vice city.

George