PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Cam

Metla
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Greetings people.

Just spent the last few hours in the wilderness surrounding Paradise Wanganui giving death to a dirt bike or 2.

Recently we have taken to the habit of taking along a DV Cam and recording ourselves at play, What I would like to do is take it one step further and record as I ride, I presume I can carry a camera in my backpack and have a small lens feeding it that would be mounted most probably on the handlebars of the bike.

Does anyone have a name for the gear I am after? Any NZ site that sells such an apparatus? Any chance that it would fit my existing DV or would I need a purpose built unit?

As always any info greatly appreciated.

hsv-b0y
02-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey Metla, what about duct tape?? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I do not have an answer for this but im just curious to know what bike you ride...

I ride a YZ250F and I'm starting to get into freestyle motocross... so a helmet cam would be awesome for this!

ninja
02-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Seen a kiwi guy talking about a lipstick camera he got here:
http://www.helmetcamera.com/

Apparently connects via RCA straight into his camcorder.

xxll
03-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Many, many moons ago, we taped a TR75E Sony Handicam to a trail bike (XR500) and found that it was far too jittery, was difficult to get it pointing to where we wanted it and there was no variation once it was mounted.

We then taped it (yes, duct tape) to a helmet. It worked much better then, as the rider's body took out most of the jitteryness. It was on the top of the helmet but there was still a problem as to where it was pointed so we got a lot of sky shots. We then shifted it to the side of the helmet and that solved the pointing problems as it pointed more to where the riders eyes were looking which gave much more interesting footage. (centimetreage doesn't sound right somehow)

You can imagine the lop-sided feeling with a (light for those days, but still fairly heavy) handicam taped to the side of one's helmet. It wasn't conducive to good riding.

I tried sitting on the back of the XR500, with both of us using the one set of footpegs and pointed the camera over the riders shoulder, but that turned out rather shaky as it was very tiring holding the camera still with one hand and trying not to fall off. It is viewable though and gives me a nostalgic view of past enjoyment when I look at it occasionally.

Happy biking.

george12
03-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Metla,

Go to a hobby electronics / security shop. For around $150 you can get TINY little cameras, about the size of an RCA plug - they don't record but just output to composite.

Don't know what you would do about recording, but a small camera like that could be the way to go.

Metla
04-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Hey Metla, what about duct tape?? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I do not have an answer for this but im just curious to know what bike you ride...

I ride a YZ250F and I'm starting to get into freestyle motocross... so a helmet cam would be awesome for this!

My current ride of choice is an ATV.......

and here would is some short but stunning footage,Take note,i am doing the filming,not riding the bike....

http://www.jurgensdemolition.co.nz/small.wmv

MMM
04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
It was on the top of the helmet but there was still a problem as to where it was pointed so we got a lot of sky shots.

Better to get sky shots than a zoom in on the dirt that you land in when thrown from the bike though :eek:

hsv-b0y
04-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Haha, love the background sounds Metla!

Heres a video of me almost crashing! (http://twisted.xsportsnz.com/media/twisted/6.mpg)

techie_ted
11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
From http://hardware.mcse.ms/message135100.html

Viosport is the most popular and best known. This is due to good marketing not good product designs. Problems include crummy mounts, dysfunctional microphone placement and overly large and heavy bulletcam which is simply HUGE compared to other offerings (23mm x 80mm compared to about 21mm x 70mm for most others). Coiled cable looks good from a sales point of view until you use it and find out what a pain a heavy coiled cable is slapping on the back of your neck. Since the lenses are "interchangeable" - again this sounds good in a sales pitch - means you will have a fogging problems in some conditions. If you are building a system from scratch, get their battery and forget the rest. If you are looking for a total solution, do yourself a favor and don't fall for the hype. Viosport is designed to sell well, not work well. In this, at least, they seem to excel.

Sportzshot makes a reasonable system, though certainly not top of the line. Forget Jonescam or helmetcamera.com as they are the lowest tech of the bunch. Skullz and Hoyytech look compelling until you look closer at the details. They have a lot of catch up to do still.

Xtreme Recall (http://www.xtremerecall.com) is the best kept secret in helmetcams. They are what most of the broadcasters and professionals are using now. We have three in house and plan to get a few more this year. Besides offering the best designs they also have the only crashable helmetcam. This means you can eat it all day on the slopes or track and not damage your camcorder or your rib cage. Here are a few links off their site which should clear things up a bit -

Helmet Camera Comparison Chart (http://www.xtremerecall.com/comparison_chart_IN.htm)

Helmet Camera Shopping Tips (http://www.xtremerecall.com/shopping_suggestions_IN.htm)

Metla
12-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Humour me,

Ever notice the huge gap between useropinion and marketing spin???

Sam I Am
12-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Humour me,

Errm. EG Microsoft :)

Mercury
12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Was talking a while back to someone who had done quite a bit of filming from a bike.

His comment was that viewing the results of cornering can be quite disconcerting. It takes practice to turn your head into the corner earlier than you would normally do.

sambaird
13-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Humour me,

yes i have

POpimpin
05-03-2005, 07:39 AM
**Edited by Chill: Howd you get under my SPAM Radar?

Nothing like some spam to start the morning, and a couple of permanent bannings to make me feel rutheless ;)

digitalD
27-05-2006, 01:10 AM
here's an awesome mini helmet cam with integrated video/audio recorder DVR:

**Edited by Chill: Spammer be gone! Permanently

PAICE~

winnersonly
18-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I love to ride also and ride a YZ426F. I thought you might like to know about a cool digital camera mount my friend let me borrow. It mounted my digital camera right to the front of my chin bar on my helmet. I used the movie function and made some awesome videos. I had never heard of such a thing. He found it on Ebay and it's called a Knucklehead Cambox. I had a lot of people stopping me on the trail asking about it. I'm going to get one as soon as I can come up with the money.

Greg
18-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I love to ride also and ride a YZ426F. I thought you might like to know about a cool digital camera mount my friend let me borrow. It mounted my digital camera right to the front of my chin bar on my helmet. I used the movie function and made some awesome videos. I had never heard of such a thing. He found it on Ebay and it's called a Knucklehead Cambox. I had a lot of people stopping me on the trail asking about it. I'm going to get one as soon as I can come up with the money.Oh do give us the link to find such a wonderous thing! Oh do do do won't you? C'mon, you know you want to! Pwetty pwease?

But I have one question... are you sure it's called knuckle head and not Knuckle-dragger's Delight?

I promise you a banana if you tell!

L P Racing
12-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I am getting into using my helmet cam to video mountain bike, motocross, enduro and some vintage MX that I participate in. I am sending out a question as to the best forms of the film storage while riding. I have been using a Sony HC32 but have been having problems with the head being mis-alligned. I am thinking of using a DVR device like the Archos AV500 or somethings like that but I have heard that the hard drive storage devices might be prone to skipping and shutting down due to the rough ride they may experience in a fanny pack. Does any one have experiences good or bad with any cameras or DVR devices? I am looking for a solid dependable system that is easy to change tapes or has a large storage capacity to film extended trail bike rides and enduros (6 - 7 hours). I plan on down loading the video, cut and splicing and then burning DVDs of all the fun. Thanks very much = Lloyd

R2x1
12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Well this little gem could set something spinning

. . . It takes energy to move mass, reduce your weight and you can go farther for a longer distance.
What, Simultaneously??