PDA

View Full Version : OT: The speed time travels

george12
01-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering. It has always been something I have wanted to do, to experience New Years twice in a year.

To do this, I mean being in NZ, having new year, then quickly flying to a country where it's not new year yet.

But what I mean is, how fast (KM/h) does time travel around the world? Like, at what speed would I need to go for time to "stop" and it be a certain time until I circled the world.

Is it possible? I know that flying to auzzie you go back two hours, and it takes three hours. I'm looking for a flight where you go back more time than the journey takes.

What speed (directly along the line) do you have to go?

I guess 24Hrs / Circ of the earth?

Confusing isn't it.

Or perhaps I am just insane. We shall see!

George

agent
01-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Flying across the International Date Line might help. ;)

In other words, head East, not West. Timeanddate.com reports that in Honolulu it is currently ~2:55am. I'm not sure how long it would take to fly there, but it looks like it would be your best bet if you wanted to see in two new years within 24 hours.

Key thing to note is that when I originally wrote this, it was ~2:55am on Friday 31 December 2004 in Honolulu.

george12
01-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Maybe not this year, but I'll keep it in mind in a few years :D

Raikyn
01-01-2005, 02:09 AM
I tink thereis a couple of islands out in the pacific that the date line goes between. Takes a few hours to travel between. Soo havea party on the west one, recover travel to the east over the dateline and have another :D

george12
01-01-2005, 03:07 AM
So Honolulu is 23 hours behind NZ.

And it certainly will take less than that to fly there. So it is possible...

Ahhh, sleep time!

Terry Porritt
01-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Be careful not to travel TOO fast to Honolulu, else you may experience TIME DILATION, not to mention LORENTZ CONTRACTION, both effects could affect your system drastically :eek:

"Since time dilation affects the rate at which time passes, the total discrepancy between stationary and moving clocks increases throughout the voyage"

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/timedial.html

robsonde
01-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I cant remember all the details but i know some dude did this kind of thing and got three new years eves in one year.

xxll
01-01-2005, 01:52 PM
If you go to the South Pole, you can have a foot in each year. :eek:

In fact you can choose any of 24 time zones just by moving one step in the right direction. :D :D

~sy~
01-01-2005, 01:56 PM

In fact you can choose any of 24 time zones just by moving one step in the right direction. :D :D
What a smart idea!!! :eek:

Mike
01-01-2005, 02:17 PM
I would guess anything from the US midwest west to the dateline would probably work. I remember the first time I went to LA we left at about 7pm (NZ time) and arrived in LA at about 1pm (LA time - 6 hours before we left).

We went to Rarotonga for our honeymoon - we left Auckland the day after our wedding, and arrived in Rarotonga on the evening of the night before... we had two wedding nights :p ;) :thumbs: :lol: :blush:

Our flight left NZ at (I think) 2pm Sunday, and we arrived in Rarotonga about 8pm Saturday night.

You might also be able to experience more than 2 (not sure) if you were in New York (for instance) for new years, then headed west crossing the time zones across the US. The distance between the different time zones however might be too great to make the distance fast enough.

Mike.

somebody
01-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Your biggest problem will be finding a flight leaving NZ at 1am in the morning.... there are very few flights (if any) which leave NZ after about 11pm.

Baldy
01-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Just turn your watch back and you can have as many NewYears as you like without even having to leave the home.
Just think, the money you save on airfares can be put to use by buying as much booze as you like.
Or even a new computer!!!!!!!!!

Winston001
01-01-2005, 09:04 PM
There are two direct answers to your question George.

1. As Xll says, be at the South (or North) Pole and you could have 24 New Year celebrations. Lots of ice for your drinks too. :thumbs:

2. The circumference of the Earth is approximately 24,000 miles (38,000 km). So at the equator to beat the clock you'd need to travel faster than 24,000 miles per hour. Curently you'd require the assistance of a Saturn rocket to reach that speed. :)

Further down the globe the distance decreases so from NZ you'd only have to move at 12,000 mph. Of course you don't have a lot of spots to land but what the heck - New Year in South Georgia could be right up your alley
:p

Terry's concerns about time dilation are correct but you'd have to get up to relativistic speeds to have a problem. Essentially, the faster you travel, the slower time passes for you. But it hurries by on Earth. So in theory you could miss out on the extra New Year if you went too fast! :@@:

george12
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
600mph.

That's my calculation. I won't bother elaborating on how I got it but anyway my question is answered.

Samoa.

23 hours behind NZ. Flying time - 2 hrs.

Winston001
01-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Well yes, but thats cheating George and not in the spirit of your original enquiry. :D

Don't you have a need for speed? ;)

Raikyn
01-01-2005, 10:40 PM

In fact you can choose any of 24 time zones just by moving one step in the right direction.

So what happens if you run in circles around the Sth Pole??? :confused: :confused: ??? :eek:

Winston001
01-01-2005, 11:22 PM
You'd keep warm but get very dizzy. :D

Davesdad
01-01-2005, 11:39 PM
2. The circumference of the Earth is approximately 24,000 miles (38,000 km). So at the equator to beat the clock you'd need to travel faster than 24,000 miles per hour. Curently you'd require the assistance of a Saturn rocket to reach that speed. :)

24,000 miles divided by 24 hours in a day would equal 1,000mph.

I think concorde might have managed that.

george12
01-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Yes, but 12,000 miles (see 2nd part of his post) / 24 hours = 500mph

Which is less than 1000KPH. Still a bit faster than a commercial aircraft but....

I prefer the cheating way myself.

Anyway, when I feel the need for speed, I just play Underground. Remind you of any videos ;)?

somebody
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
I flew on a Boeing 767 2 days ago, travelling at 690mph for most of the journey over 37000 feet above mean sea level.

Safari
02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I flew on a Boeing 767 2 days ago, travelling at 690mph for most of the journey over 37000 feet above mean sea level.

Really, must have been a special type of B767 then to cruise at that speed.

FoxyMX
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM

I am a bit embarrassed to ask this, by why just the South Pole and not the North Pole? :confused:

godfather
02-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I am a bit embarrassed to ask this, by why just the South Pole and not the North Pole? :confused:
Because the South Pole is closer to NZ ..... and more accessible.

I was there over Xmas. Well, to be truthful it was Invertartica, but it was like the South Pole and close to it both physically and in temperature. Even the locals tended to resemble penguins in some cases.

xxll
02-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Don't be embarrassed, in fact I did think of that but coudn't be bothered Googling.
I looked at a globe that I had and the International Date Line was obscured by the pivot mountings. I was sure about the Antarctic, but thought that the North Pole might have been in the sea ice so chose to ignore that as being 'impractical' to visit. :p

Hmm, by running around in circles, and if time dilation was a factor, by putting one's best foot forward and running fast, I wonder if you would catch up with yourself before you had left and end up kicking yourself in the backside? :D :D

george12
02-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Wish my car could go that fast.

Wish I had a license and a car at all.

Wish I was 15 so I could finally GET MY GODDAMN LICENSE!!!

[/rant]

George

somebody
02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767family/technical.html

Site says 530mph - we must have had a huge tailwind, because the flight was delayed 20mins (takeoff), and we still arrived 20mins ahead of schedule.
The on-flight display screen said we were cruising at 690mph at 37000ft altitude.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/technical.html

The 747 can apparently do 567mph cruising speed according to the tech specs.

Richard
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Like every other measure they use, American miles are probably shorter than Imperial miles! :rolleyes:

Mike
02-01-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767family/technical.html

Site says 530mph - we must have had a huge tailwind, because the flight was delayed 20mins (takeoff), and we still arrived 20mins ahead of schedule.
The on-flight display screen said we were cruising at 690mph at 37000ft altitude.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/technical.html

The 747 can apparently do 567mph cruising speed according to the tech specs.
Could be the difference between ground-speed and air-speed.

Mike.

Terry Porritt
02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Probably in a jetstream.

Just quoting off the top my my head, a Hawker Hurricane around 1940 flew from Edinburgh to London at 470 odd mph, when it's normal top speed was about 340mph under favourable conditions. It had this tremendous tail wind all the way.

It isn't uncommon for a jetstream to add 100+mph to the groundspeed.

Cicero
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Because the South Pole is closer to NZ ..... and more accessible.

I was there over Xmas. Well, to be truthful it was Invertartica, but it was like the South Pole and close to it both physically and in temperature. Even the locals tended to resemble penguins in some cases.

Did you see Winston with his braces and cycle clips,looking somewhat wan after his adventure? :)

Prescott
03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
well i just got back from new years in arrowtown/queenstown :)

george12
03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Jetstreams may be fast, in direct contrast to Jetstream...

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Time and memory exaggerate.
The Hawker Hurricane's speed was 408mph with tail wind from Edinburgh to Northolt London, and it was in 1938.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/hurricane.html