PDA

View Full Version : TV help please

paradox
30-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi...My dear old NEC vcr died a while back and I bought a current Panasonic to replace it. Just tonight I found time to set it up with our TV and considered that I'd made a pretty good job of it...until I looked through the channels on the TV. 1 and 2 were fine but 3 was missing.....so using the manual scan I went looking for 3. The scanner stopped as usual for 1, 2 and 4, but could not find channel 3. I thought the new vcr might have been involved so switched it off and tried again and this time the scanner only just stopped for a very faint signal and now that's what I get every time I click on channel 3. Another TV in the same room has a quite normal channel 3 picture. I haven't done a manual setup for years so I may have goofed somewhere but my face is red and I would really appreciate some help with this....Cheers Ken. :confused:

tweak'e
30-12-2004, 09:40 PM
plug the aerial lead directly into the tv. retune tv3, check that tv3 isn't on a different band (eg UHF instead of VHF).

if you get tv3 back to what it was and when you plug the video back in it turns to crap then the video may be overloading (tv signal is to high). you will then need an aerial installer to fix.

Eric
30-12-2004, 10:28 PM
What model Panasonic is it, I might be able to down load the manual and help you out

Could you do use a favor and not confuse channel 3 with TV3 or program 3 for that matter they are all completely different things.

Also what part of the country are you in, I could find what channel TV3 is on.
From Eric
http://www.oh-bugger.net.nz/eric/tune_in.html

paradox
31-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi....Last night I sent off a quick reply and tonight I find that it never got here. Grrrrrr. I remember I deleted a smiley that didn't suit...I wonder if that might have caused it Never mind, I'll try again.

tweak'e I watched the scan and saw no sign of TV3 anywhere through the process.

Eric Your are right and after a bit of thought I can see what you mean about my confusing mis-use of the various terms...I'm still a bit confused about program numbers, channel numbers and TV numbers, but I'll try to get it right.

The model of the VCR is Panasonic NV-HV61 Series.

I'm in Hamilton. I'll send this off and write a bit more from today.

Cheers Ken

paradox
31-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Hello again...Last night I also let the TV do an Automatic Presetting. The result
was....
press 1 on the remote got TV1 (1)
press 2 on the remote got TV2 (2)
press 3 on the remote got TV2 (3)
press 4 on the remote got TV4 (4)

I see no sign of TV3 yesterday as the Manual Presetting went around.

The picture quality on TV1 and TV2 is fine when I run them.

There is a 14" Panasonic Combo TV/VCR in the same room to compare with and using them both with the same aerial directly into the TV, TV3 is loud and clear on the 14" machine.

The troubled TV is a Sony 22" Trinitron...not young but trouble free over the years. Hope thiis provides a clue or two....Ken

paradox
31-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Forgot to mention.... the numbers in brackets are the green numbers that show on the screen just as the tv picture comes up. But I guess you guessed. K

xxll
31-12-2004, 11:14 PM
I live in Hamilton too.
Just in case this is the same as what you are trying to do, I have just finished setting up my Sony VCR, which replaces a 17 year old Panasonic.
Below I will mention Program, Channel, and TV1, TV2, TV3, TV4, Prime, Racing, and Maori.
(I am finding this hard to describe sorry.)
I wanted my remote control buttons to show the following, you may choose differently:
button 1 = tv1
button 2 = tv2
button 3 = tv3
button 4 = tv4
button 5 = prime tv
button 6 = racing channel
button 9 = maori tv

Where it says Channel below, that is what the auto tuning found and the numbers it called them, 001, 002... 028, 056 etc.

It also listed the Program numbers as 1,2,3... 9,10,11, etc, I changed some of those to the numbers that I wanted them to be on my remote control. (I suggest you get a piece of paper and list what the auto tuning came up with and what you intend to change them to. That might help a bit).

Here is what mine came up with and what I changed:
(Note that TV3 is on Channel 011, which comes after TV4 which is Channel 008)

Program 1, Channel 001 = TV1
Program 2, Channel 002 = TV2
Program 3, I changed it to make it read as Program 4, = Channel 008 = TV4
Program 4, Channel 010, (I have ignored this one)
Program 5, I changed it to make it read as Program 3, = Channel 011 = TV3
Program 6, Channel 028, (I have ignored this one)
Program 7, Channel 032, (I have ignored this one)
Program 8, I changed it to make it read as Program 9, = Channel 044 = Maori
Program 9, Channel 052, (I have ignored this one)
Program 10,I changed it to make it read as Program 6 = Channel 056 =Racing
Program 11,I changed it to make it read as Program 5 = Channel 060 = Prime

On reflection I think I have gone around it the wrong way but it is working for me. I think it would be easier to leave the Program numbers unchanged and change the allocated Channel numbers instead as follows:

Program 1 = Channel 001 = TV1
Program 2 = Channel 002 = TV2
Program 3 = Channel 011 = TV3
Program 4 = Channel 008 = TV4
Program 5 = Channel 060 = Prime TV
Program 6 = Channel 056 = Racing
Program 9 = Channel 044 = Maori

The programs I ignored are probably the Sky channels. I don't have Sky. I blanked out those Program numbers so that they would not work on the remote buttons.

I hope that the above is not too confusing.
Cheers.

Andrew B
01-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Eric, just to hijack this thread a little, I checked out the site you linked to in your post, and checked out the link TV for transmitter sites in NZ,but it didn't work. Do you know of a site/map with all transmitter sites in NZ? BCL has one, but it doesn't have TV3 etc. Some thing with all details, like channel numbers, horizontal or vertical, etc would be very helpful when travelling and looking for local TV transmissions. Thanks.

Baldy
01-01-2005, 10:07 AM
I have just set up a brand spanker new JVC video, and it was a pig. All this digital tuning is a step back as far as I am concerned.

Terry Porritt
01-01-2005, 10:50 AM
>>All this digital tuning is a step back as far as I am concerned.

Quite right, knobs and dials look much more impressive than buttons, gold on black near invisible lettering, and cryptic LCD readouts :@@:

paradox
01-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks folks....I am stilll working for a better understanding of the terms involved but at the moment the wall I've hit is not seeing TV3 at all during a manual preset, and no result for it on an Auto Preset. Before this there's been no problem receiving TV3 or presetting it manually on that TV and as I said, my 14" TV is receiving TV3 just fine using the same aerial directly.

Any more suggestions re the vanished TV3....?

xxll Special thanks for all the stuff in your post..I'll be brooding over that for a while. It all helps.

paradox
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
And PS...Seasons Greetings to all on the two forums....Ken

Cicero
01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Poor old paradox,the joys of new fangled inventions eh.
Was thinking of buying a dvd,but the thought of the cryptic instructions put me off. :confused:

Good luck anyway.

http://web.icq.com/friendship/swf/0,,16961_rs,00.swf

Winston001
01-01-2005, 09:18 PM
I don't know if this is any help but here in the south TV3 is on UHF. Does the TV find TV3 with the video out of the loop? Which is what Tweek'e suggested.

My own tuning experiences engender sympathy for you. Auto scan is useless most of the time. And some TVs and videos these day have the critical controls only on the remote - no equivalent on the machine itself. :mad:

Eric
02-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi Ken Sorry I was away from my computer for a day or so.

One of the confusing thing I find when trying to help other people, is they call the TV stations "Channel" they call the program numbers on the TV -VCR "channel" (and manufactures have not helped in wrongly labeling it) and of course the frequency range that has the TV Station should be the only thing called "channel" This "channel-channel-channel" thing talk does not help in solving problems.

Take TV1 in Auckland that is on Channel 2 that has the frequency band from 54 MHz to 61 MHz, Most people (to save confusion) have assigned TV 1 to program 1 on there TV -VCR, TV2 to program 2, TV3 to program 3, Crap4 to (not on my TV).
So when we don't like the program on say TV2 and press button "1" on the remote, The TV goes to program 1 to show TV1.

It is very odd that "xxll" says

Program 1, Channel 001 = TV1
Program 2, Channel 002 = TV2

When the transmitter site always has a unused cannel on each side of the TV station to avoid CO-channel interference. I am not sure where to go from here until we get rid of this "channel-channel-channel" confusion, are you confuesd? I am.

I downloaded the manual from http://support.panasonic.co.nz/framemanuals.htm

One more thing I fixed up the link from my web site, maybe you could go to http://www.lincrad.co.nz/transmitters.htm and um, um do something, I know, work out which area you get your TV stations from.

godfather
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Eric, I share your frustration in this matter. It's not easy conveying the difference.

In my view "channel" is the frequency the program is broadcast on, anything else is just a "program number" that subsequently gets assigned.

If you know where the transmitter is located for TV3 in any area, the real frequency and polarisation (horizontal or vertical aspect of the aerial) can be found here:
http://spectrumonline.med.govt.nz/other-reports.html

It sounds to me as if the VCR being tuned is only being set for VHF and not UHF?

Eric
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I would of thought Hamilton had TV1 on channel 1, TV2 on channel 3, leaving TV3 and Crap4 somewhere on band3 (with Vertical polarization for the aerial)

Eric
02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Can Hamilton get TV3 on channel 5 from Waihi?
Otherwise they might have to point the Band 3 aerial in a different direction and get it from Huntly on channel 11.

xxll
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Firstly, in no way am I an expert. I bow to the superior knowledge of Eric and godfather.

Yes Eric, I got it wrong. In my table, Channel 2 = TV2, should have read Channel 4 = TV2

What I listed is what I gleaned from my on-screen display during set-up. I wrote it down on paper and changed the numbers to suit my remote control and everything worked afterwards. I will only confuse the issue if I try to describe that part further so will leave it at that.

I have just checked out a small hand-held TV. It has two lines on the front panel with tuning scale numbers listed. An upper line shows a tuning scale for UHF and a lower line shows a scale for VHF. I can confirm that TV3 shows up on the VHF, not the UHF scale markings.
On the VHF scale they come up in this order as it scans across. TV1, TV2, TV4, TV3.
On the UHF scale they come up in the order of, Maori TV, Racing, Prime.

(The scale markings seem to conform with the table I listed in my earlier post as to which Channel shows where, excluding the error I listed for TV2 of course)

Another thing I noticed, is that TV3 comes up twice on the hand held (that will be what you were talking about Eric I guess), once just before the Channel 011 position (where it is very fuzzy to watch), and further along right on the Channel 011 position where it is quite clear. I wonder if you have it set on the fuzzy one, but maybe it does not do that in your area. I'm on a hill and can see both the Te Aroha and Cambridge area transmitting aerials.

Hope I have not further confused the issue for you Paradox.

paradox
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Once again...thanks..you're a great bunch..I'll be going over these answers and links for some time I think. I still have the puzzle of the 14" TV receiving TV3 with no trouble and the 22" TV unable to even preset TV3 either with auto or manual.. On my rare efforts in the past, to preset the 22" set I've had no real trouble presetting TV1 TV2 TV3 and TV4. Looks like I just may have to call up one of the local pros about that. Cheers...Ken

xxll
02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
If the 22" can't be tuned to TV3 on its own with nothing else attached, I wonder if the tuner is faulty?

Old sets do get dry joints which cause trouble. If they occur too frequently they are not worth fixing unless you can do it yourself.

My Sony 23" is now 11 years old. Last year (late 1993 actually) Prime TV kept drifting off and turning to snow. I called in a repairer (he works under the name of "The TV Man") and he said he thought it was dry joints in the tuner. He found some and re-soldered them. It fixed the Prime drifting, but then there was a problem with TV1.
He said the tuner was showing its age but a new tuner would be costly and not worth it for an old model TV. He said that he had a used one at home he could try for me. I agreed, so he came back the next day and replaced my old one with the used one. He also went over the rest of the set and re-soldered a few questionable joints. That solved the problem totally and it has been going well for 14 months now. I found him a nice guy to deal with.

For the used tuner and the two house calls he charged a total of $90. I thought that was very reasonable and would definitely use his services again.
Cheers.

Eric
03-01-2005, 05:00 AM
Sorry I am unable to help at this problem any more,

LXSWRX
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Can Hamilton get TV3 on channel 5 from Waihi?
Otherwise they might have to point the Band 3 aerial in a different direction and get it from Huntly on channel 11.

Hey Guys, it's Alex here in the US ex NZ.
I have been in the broadcasting game just on 18yrs. In radio as a tech/announcer for 18yrs, also sometime in television as a inst of tx racks and repair.

I know it's a little late in posting( I have just found this site), but to answer your question Eric, You can pick up TV3 in Hamilton via Ruru on ch 9 if I remember. It has been a while. Waihi MIGHT be able to ping Old Bauldy in Tauranga, or Te Aroha. :)