PDA

View Full Version : What browser do you use?

hamstar
29-12-2004, 08:34 PM
What browser do you use?

I saw on pcstats they had a poll about wether ff was better than ie and 78% was for Absolutely!!!

hamstar
29-12-2004, 08:38 PM
wooooo

multichoice

Metla
29-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Meh....All browsers do the basics, that is display web pages, Thus all pro's and cons are reduntant and even the worst is as good as the best.

For the ignorant have spoken,and the sky is indeed grey.

Raikyn
29-12-2004, 08:59 PM
I use firefox and IE

hamstar
29-12-2004, 10:12 PM
lol metla, you just ticked every option for fun huh?

Eric
29-12-2004, 10:27 PM
The web site could collect this information automatically,
and either display it at the web site of print it from time to time in the magazine.
and compare it with "SURFER STATS" at http://www.echoecho.com/

---- more ----
bugger still a "Junior Member"

Greg
29-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Duh!! - he left out Netscape!

george12
29-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Here are the stats over a slightly larger sample, namely website stats. Quite interesting really.

First of all, Firefoxes poularity has been growing drasticly.

On website logs 4 months ago I've been getting 23.2% FF, 73.7% IE.

This month, so far:

MS Internet Explorer - 58.8 %
FireFox - 31.6 %

I'm not taking any other browsers into account because they get hardly any hits (all <1000).

Very interesting.

At this rate, I project that it will be 50/50 in precisely 4.6695278969957081545064377682403 months.

Or, 4 months, 20 days, 2 hours, 3 minutes and 36 seconds.

Of course things don't quite work like that, so let's say 5 months.

Or just forget my crazed display of how well I can type numbers into calculator ;)

Edit: And 6.2% of visitors are in Linux. Yay

MMM
29-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm really happy with Avant as it gives me the stability of IE and, in my personal view, the best parts of FF. The "Full Desktop" view is great for people with small laptop screens.

Liked the FF v0.9.3 which was small and fast with very few bugs.
The latest version had me removing lots of totally unnecessary rubbish, lot of time outs and pages not found, and took ages for page setup to stop moving around till it found the right position on my screen. Put me right off it.

Tried Opera and that was a lot better than FF. Would be interested to see how many people try FF and then ditch it.
If you set IE up properly, keep it updated, don't go to dodgy sites, and use common sense in what you click on - then IE can be a pleasant way to go.

It's good to see we have so many browsers to try out for personal preference.

george12
29-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I wonder what drb1 has to say on the issue......

Greg
29-12-2004, 11:52 PM
On website logs 4 months ago I've been getting 23.2% FF, 73.7% IE.

Your stats basically mean squat. Reason being that websites and forums in different industries or interest groups attract people with differing preferences for browsers.

Case and point is an IT related forum I run where 75% users are non-IE, another forum where users are semi-savvy in computing and Internet, approx 50% users are IE; and for some of my and my customers' commercial websites the percentage is around 80% IE

MMM
29-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey!
I voted for IE, other IE browser and Opera, but when I check the names my vote doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

How many others are finding this? :confused: :confused:

Greg
30-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Hey!
I voted for IE, other IE browser and Opera, but when I check the names my vote doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

Your votes are there - try again after refreshing the page

george12
30-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Your stats basically mean squat. Reason being that websites and forums in different industries or interest groups attract people with differing preferences for browsers.

Case and point is an IT related forum I run where 75% users are non-IE, another forum where users are semi-savvy in computing and Internet, approx 50% users are IE; and for some of my and my customers' commercial websites the percentage is around 80% IE

Yeah, I agree.

The site I chose had the highest Firefox percentage. Others have up to 78% IE usage. It all depends on the audience really, as you say.

That's why we have an overwhelming non-IE percentage here.

hamstar
30-12-2004, 01:45 PM
if i had firefox timeouts more than IE I would still use it, it's not just about whats more convenient, it's also about saving the internet from microsoft trying to break it...

Firefox conforms with Intl standards....

Besides it fine for me, maybe it just needs re-installing whoever it was that had problems...

And as for rubbish? What rubbish did you have to clean out?