PDA

View Full Version : Press F1 language

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi Fellow F1ers,

I feel that some of the language in Press F1 is confusing. I.e. someone asked what a RSS feed was, and another said the ads were suxxors or something like that.

I know what an RSS feed is, but hell, I don't know what suxxors means.

Hope the moderators or the technical team can make a FAQ about the language of press F1 which can be updated as time goes by to add new words and language. Kinda like a dictionary.

This would be beneficial to those who are new to computers or this forum.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 09:32 AM
There are sites available that detail explanations for suchs slang and acronyms.

IIRC Metla posted one a short while ago referreing to "meh".

Chill.

ninja
29-12-2004, 09:36 AM
There are also appropriate forums for this kind of post.

Link: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?f=5

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Ninja,

You don't think this thread belongs in Press F1 section? And should be in PC World Chat?

It is not an OT subject. I am talking about a technical issue related to Press F1, and besides it is the moderators job to move the thread, not yours.

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 09:46 AM
There are sites available that detail explanations for suchs slang and acronyms.

Chill.
Chill,

I did a google search for "suxx0rs" and it comes up with a list of other forums complaining about their problems. Tried "suxx0rs definition", and did not make things any easier.

A one stop shop with all the common words and their definitions used in Press F1 could be put here for ease of use.

ninja
29-12-2004, 10:11 AM
It is not an OT subject. I am talking about a technical issue related to Press F1
This isn't a technical problem, and it certainly isn't a computer support issue.

Anyway as a "Research Scientist" it should have been fairly obvious to you that "suxx0rs" is basically the same as sux.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suxx0r&r=f

Even if this forum did have a glossary (aside Google) I hardly think that suxx0r would warrant being in it.

Rob99
29-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I think you will find the meaning here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sux0r&r=s&pos=1) it makes it harder when they cant even use their gibberish correctly.:groan:

I dont mind it so much as long as plenty of others are using it, it is not to bad to pick up.
:stare:

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Ninja,

Who said I was a research scientist in language?

And I believe any word used every now and then warrants being in the glossary. Suxx0rs was used several times over the last few months, so that warrants being a frequently used word suitable for a Press F1 Glossary.

I don't mind people using this language too unless it can be explained what it means, but don't over do it.

Codex
29-12-2004, 10:49 AM
There are also appropriate forums for this kind of post.

Link: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?f=5
first you moaned in my topic and now your complaining bout this one being in the pf1 section and not the chat section, i would hate to have you as a mod or an admin :)

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 10:50 AM
first you moaned in my topic and now your complaining bout this one being in the pf1 section and not the chat section, i would hate to have you as a mod or an admin :)

I agree :lol:

agent
29-12-2004, 11:15 AM
How on earth did PressF1 end up with the number one ranking when you search for "suxx0rs" on Google?

FoxyMX
29-12-2004, 11:23 AM
It is those busy little bots at work again, obviously. :groan:

george12
29-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Weren't you warned about annoyingness ninja?

I mean, you can be very helpful and obviously have a lot of technical knowledge, but theres always that patronizing ***-like attitude...

George

Metla
29-12-2004, 12:07 PM
The thing to remember is that no one has to justify their posts or input to ninja,he is a nobody just like the rest of us.

Here is where i would suggest ignoring him untill he gets bored of being a thorn in peoples side, But seeing as i take nearly every bit of bait waved at me i shall refrain from being so hypocritical.

PcNut
29-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Weren't you warned about annoyingness ninja?

I mean, you can be very helpful and obviously have a lot of technical knowledge, but theres always that patronizing ***-like attitude...

George

And you've just added fuel to the fire george12.
Can you point me to the thread concerning the passing on of either of our mods, whose position you have obviiously inherited?
I seemed to have missed it

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Just ignore the posts with "home made" words in it.
My view is ,if people can't use English they probably don't know what they are talking about anyway.
Jack

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Just ignore the posts with "home made" words in it.
My view is ,if people can't use English they probably don't know what they are talking about anyway.
Jack
I've seen some forums where this kind of language is actually banned. I am not sure why. Hidden codes? Or to make the forum easier to read?

After all this forum is a "family-friendly" forum so, it should be family-friendly, rather than using language in which you have to guess the meaning of words.

Forums which use too much leet language (I think that is what it is called) put me off, and I leave the forum almost immediately.

Prescott
29-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Fellow F1ers,

I feel that some of the language in Press F1 is confusing. I.e. someone asked what a RSS feed was, and another said the ads were suxxors or something like that.

yeah that was me :rolleyes:

but anyway this will be a good thread if the question is ANSWERED,

so here are some more that some of you dont know:
i know that IMO is in my opinion, but there is LMAO what does that mean?

drb1
29-12-2004, 03:04 PM

Codex,

You might need a coffe or a straight 12 yr old single malt and a little reaserch/thought.

Some one is taking: sleazey, low, shots, at some of our moderators.

Again. (How booring and pathetic) (dont use emoticons)

You mind, obvioulsy has not had to deal with this kind of lowlife, repeatedly. Your are fortunate in this.

D.

Cicero
29-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I agree :lol:

I think it is established that this fellow does not warrant any kind of reply or acknowledgement.

Rob99
29-12-2004, 03:28 PM
LMAO = laugh my ass off :blush:

Cicero
29-12-2004, 03:34 PM
LMAO = laugh my ass off :blush:

Shouldn't that be arse?we are not americans yet! :(

Jen
29-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Geez guys! What's with all the snipe remarks at each other?! Just because a certain forum member is generally not top of the popularity stakes, this does not mean it is open season on them with comments either. You lower yourself down to their level when you do this.

If you have a complaint about a forum member, please Private Message one of the Moderators, or if the post content warrants it, use the "Report Bad Post" icon found on each post.

Has everyone got the post-Christmas blues or something?

drb1
29-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Shouldn't that be arse?we are not americans yet! :(

This is an English speaking country, like many other countries in the world it runs on the Oxford Dictionary as a standard.

Not some piece of yank garbage, foisted on the rest of the world by MicroScam default.

D.

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Well Jen, why don't you edit the postings that are not written in English?
Jack

Jen
29-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Well Jen, why don't you edit the postings that are not written in English?I seriously hope that comment was tongue in cheek ... I have seemed to have lost my sense of humour today.

Warning: Grumpy Moderator alert

mister harbies
29-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Jen,

I think this thread has some value to it.

Is it possible to add another rule. I know, I know... more rules suck, but to make sure this forum exists for the best interests of everyone, we might need another rule.

Something like "no leet or hacker language allowed".

And, nobody flame me please! It was just a suggestion in the best interest of the general population.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 06:23 PM
That would be hard to police what is/isnt and at the end of the day it only requires a quick reply asking for clarification:

George, you're only adding fuel to the fire dude - Please dont.

Us Moderators are perfectly capable of giving people a slap on the wrist when needed. Doing what you're doing only stirs others more and causes troubles.

Thanks

Chill.

Cicero
29-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Jack

What is vaguely untoward about this post,that it would elicit a response like that?

Scouse
29-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Us Moderators are perfectly capable of giving people a slap on the wrist when needed.
Let me know when you need a few wet bus tickets.

Cicero
29-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Us Moderators are perfectly capable of giving people a slap on the wrist when needed.
Let me know when you need a few wet bus tickets.

Seems some have an over supply!

george12
29-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sorry Chill

Baldy
30-12-2004, 08:12 PM
My oh my, have all the batteries for your remote control toys gone flat?

personthingy
30-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Jack

The Pressf1 community is composed of a a wide range of people who randomly selected themselves from the even wider and more diverse range of specimens collectively known as the human race. For this reason we must expect that English will be stretched a little outside of the common variants. This may be a little confusing, and resourses such as http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sux0r&r=s&pos=1
may indeed prove useful when dealing with this. They may also go to prove that many such phrases are simply a waste of time and/or the products of bored minds.

Having said this, i think that to deliberatly choose language that is designed not to be understood by all for any purpose other than humour is simply not a logical thing to do in a public forum.

In order to remove posts not written in "english" we must first define "english", and what is exceptable outside of that definition. Given the above, and that PF1 is in essence a technical forum, such a task would be more than i would ever want to take on, or wish on my worst enemy!

:D

Cicero
30-12-2004, 10:51 PM
The Pressf1 community is composed of a a wide range of people who randomly selected themselves from the even wider and more diverse range of specimens collectively known as the human race. For this reason we must expect that English will be stretched a little outside of the common variants. This may be a little confusing, and resourses such as http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sux0r&r=s&pos=1
may indeed prove useful when dealing with this. They may also go to prove that many such phrases are simply a waste of time and/or the products of bored minds.

Having said this, i think that to deliberatly choose language that is designed not to be understood by all for any purpose other than humour is simply not a logical thing to do in a public forum.

In order to remove posts not written in "english" we must first define "english", and what is exceptable outside of that definition. Given the above, and that PF1 is in essence a technical forum, such a task would be more than i would ever want to take on, or wish on my worst enemy!

:D

My dear fellow,that is indeed a mouthful,your middle name must be succinct. ;) !