PDA

View Full Version : What are people thankful for?

beetle
28-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Now its a beetle moment and im struggling with a few things here, and thought at least i have.......
:confused: thinking....do i have anything to be thankful for?

Friends.....the few i manage to keep up with....both online and offline.....
Family......at the moment could quite happily give some away,
And???? my computer, :badpc: LOL no its fine Metla.....

and a roof over my head.....and that christmas has come and gone for another year....
( i have my doubtful moments whenever it comes to families and xmas.....especially outlaws)
And i havent killed any fish yet, cos i havent bought any either may have something to do with it....

And im really struggling to think of anything wise and wonderful to say at the moment, ......must be a first beetle is lost for words, and nothing flippant comes to mind.

:eek:

anyway enuf babble, please no flames or war zones started.....

I just often think that people dont think about what they have, till its shoved in your face and gone....... sometimes like that dangling carrot...or someone takes something away, and you are floundering about looking for answers that have no questions.....

its been a downer of a week, and life is biting big time .........

beetle :dogeye:

Shortcircuit
29-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, goes without saying that I'm thankful I'm here and not in one of those devastated areas... seems that paradise can quickly become hell.

When I was 'younger' I was literally destitute for a while, living on baked beans and potatos for 6 months, was also told by doctors that I wouldn't live till I was 30 and my partner died on me... now I'm a lot older than 30 (grin!), I've got a degree, a damn fine job and a dog that loves me unconditionally (as long as I feed him regularly!)

Everyone goes through their own nightmares and I've maybe had more things to get past than most, but I just think that if I've got a nice warm bed to sleep in and enough money for a meal everything is sweet :-)

Yep, life can suck big time sometimes but without trying to sound 'hokey' if you're still around and everything's working (more or less) that's a hell of a lot to be thankful for.

beetle
31-12-2004, 05:35 PM
When i first posted this i hadnt actually heard about the Tsunami that had happened in Sri Lanka and assorted countries.....

And i cannot comprehend the horror and carnage that has happened to these poor unsuspecting people.
Nature is so unpredictable.........

But had found out one of my best friends is over in that area, celebrating there first christmas together for years, her hubby, her and 2 teenage sons..... i have no idea if they are ok, and exactly where they are in the country at all.
hopefully they were nowhere in the firing line as such and come home safe.

So i am thankful i am here, i have my family and most of my friends here and safe.....

And prayers and thoughts be with those family and friends who have not heard anything yet....

and the ones trying to recover from the horror they had to live through.

May we not ever have such devistation happen in NZ.

God Bless all.

:stare:

Winston001
31-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes Beet. The tsunami rather puts our own worries in perspective. 80,000 people. I cannot comprehend that.

And why do natural disasters always seem to affect the poor and dispossessed of the Earth? When was there last an earthquake, volcanic eruption, flood or tsunami which killed even 1,000 in Europe or the USA?

Not that I wish disaster on first world countries, but it seems capricious of nature to harm people who have a harsh enough life in the first place.

~sy~
31-12-2004, 10:34 PM
In fact, it is almost 120,000. They think it might go past 400,000. You will never account for everybody. Scary huh?

I'm very thankful that I'm who I am, living where I am.

Poppa John
01-01-2005, 06:56 AM
I am thankful for Metla, amongst other thins. PJ

beetle
01-01-2005, 11:33 AM
PJ i beleive Metla is thankful of us??? continued business isnt it???????
:dogeye: LOL

The buck seems to stop there, not here..........

And yes i think most NZ'ers are thankful we live in this fine country at the moment.

God bless all, and Happy new year.

:)

Misty
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Just reading Bill Bryson - "A Short History of Nearly Everything". On page 505 he says " In 1815, on the island of Sumbawa in Indonesia, a handsome and lone quiescent mountain named Tambora exploded spectacularly, killing a hundred thousand people with its blast and associated tsunamis. No-one living now has ever seen such fury. Tambora was far bigger than anything any living human being has experienced.".

This was written in 2003 - how quickly things can change !!! The things that challenge us may not necessarily be new.

Misty :eek:

godfather
04-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Of course in 1815 the population would have been very sparse compared to 2004.

That would mean the size of the 1815 blast and tsunamis would likely have been a lot larger than the recent one.

Visited a few seaside locations today - almost nobody about but it makes one realise how vulnerable NZ is to such events. Wonder if the value of oceanfront properties will decrease?

Safari
04-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Of course in 1815 the population would have been very sparse compared to 2004.

That would mean the size of the 1815 blast and tsunamis would likely have been a lot larger than the recent one.

No doubt about that.
It was the biggest volcanic explosion in ten thousand years - 150 times the size of Mount St Helens, equivalant to sixty thousand Hiroshima sized atom bombs.
The dust and ash obscured the sun and caused the earth to cool.
1816 became known as the year without summer. Crops everywhere failed to grow. In Ireland a famine and associated typhoid epidemic killed 65000 people.

That is what Bill Bryson quotes in his book anyway. Very interesting read by the way, recommend it. A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Winston001
04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I'd just like to endorse "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". One of the best books I've read in a while. In fact I bought a copy two weeks ago specifically to lend to friends. Check out the library or local bookshop. :o

Metla
04-01-2005, 09:19 PM
That book was given away as an e-book by MS about a year ago to promote their e-book reader, I would assume this makes those copies legal to download.

ninja
04-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm thankful for threads like this:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52953