PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums, Fish & beetle????

beetle
27-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Oh boy not a good mix,

But need some help or ideas or site to check out please.

We got one for xmas, so instead of just killing comps im going into the fish killing business by the sounds of it.

:lol:

Any one got some helpful hints apart from the dont get one idea?

i have one empty, clean and stoned...... :lol:
It has a pump / filter and a heater?

LOL
next step fish killing , plant buying....

now who's idea was it to get one of these things????

:@@:

Help please.

Jester
27-12-2004, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a recipie for disaster!
:dogeye:

All I know about fish is that they are a PITA to clean and look after. Not much help I know but
:2cents:

xxll
27-12-2004, 03:53 PM
As you have a heater, I guess you would get tropical fish.
The shop will be able to answer all of your questions and they will have books about it too.
Tropical fish are susceptible to sudden temperature changes, so if they come home in a plastic bag full of water you float the bag in the tank for ...? minutes ( 30?, more?,) to enable the temperatures to equalise before letting them swim out of the bag.
When you add water to the tank from time to time, watch the temperature of the added water, do it gradually and don't add too much at once.
If you get snails, they multiply rapidly and make a bit of a mess with their waste.
Don't let kids tap the glass, it upsets the fish as they feel every vibration.
Start off with a few at first. The tank can only support a certain number and it is dependant on the amount of aeration the pump can provide.
When the sides of the tank get greenish, I guess there are commercial products for cleaning nowadays, but a 'hundred years ago' we used to use a square piece of foam padding attached to a stick and rub it up and down the sides. It worked well.
Definitely don't over feed with the fish food. It is so easy to over do it. The fish eat a little and the rest falls to the bottom and rots, causing all sorts of problems.
Guppies will breed like flies and the males differ widely in form, that's fun to see. We bred Zebra fish and the large ones ate all the tiny young ones as soon as they were born. We solved that by suspending a mesh type shallow square basin near the surface and put the adult pregnant Zebra fish in that. When they gave birth, the young (really minute in size) dropped through the mesh holes and the adults couldn't follow. The young ones grew rapidly and the adults were then released from the meshed area.
We got a disease called White Spot, small spots that show up on the fins and can eventually kill the fish. We read up on the causes and treatment (the internet was not 'invented' at that time and there were no tropical fish stores then, we bought privately), and treated them with some form of copper (I think) and cleared up the infection totally.
Good fun, but a bit of work required. Start off with a few at first. I've never kept cold water goldfish so don't know whether they are any easier to have.
Hope that helps a bit.
ps. I don't think they eat lemons. :p

drb1
27-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh boy not a good mix,

But need some help or ideas or site to check out please.

We got one for xmas, so instead of just killing comps im going into the fish killing business by the sounds of it.

:lol:

Any one got some helpful hints apart from the dont get one idea?

It has a pump / filter and a heater?

LOL
next step fish killing , plant buying....

now who's idea was it to get one of these things????

:@@:

Help please.

Beetle,

Trpoicals can be very time consuming, Pumps/Filters can also be noisy.

You might want to try some coldies first.

Allthough they can frequently be more entertainment that TV these days.

D.

beetle
27-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Um well may not hear the noise of a pump / filter anyway..... and dont watch much telly....... and depends what they have at the shop i guess. and the tank came with all the gear, pump, heater, thermometre, and water thingys (cleaner / prep) and i just supply the stones, and fish..and weeds......

no hurry, and yeah coldies may be the way to go, even though i hate goldfish.....

anything that involves excess work and im not good....... take computers for example....

:confused: :confused: :lol: :lol:

sarel
27-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Tropical fish can be fun and I would suggest that you talk to the pet shop owner(s) - but beware, they will try to sell you all kinds of difficult-to-keep fish. I would suggest to start up with tropicals, coz then I can help you if you have problems - don't know coldies that well.

Start off with guppies and similar easy to care fish - stay away from angels and diet-specific fish at this stage (you can slowly work your way to them if you wish).

HTH

sarel

beetle
27-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok, cool thanxs.

Fish i was thinking of, if not goldfish, were neons....and some sort of sucking fish thingy..... i have seen a lot at the local pet shop but cannot remember what they called......

will go have a nosy tomorow hopefuly. got to get tank up and running first...

they actually seem really good and nice at the pet shop, not pushy and quite knowledgable. about animals and fish that is. :D

Codex
27-12-2004, 06:51 PM
well if you get too many trpoical plant fish tank plant thingys then i guess you might have touble finsing the fish..... finding nemo ;)

Baldy
27-12-2004, 07:17 PM
I quite like chips with my fish

drb1
27-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Um well may not hear the noise of a pump / filter anyway..... and dont watch much telly....... and

ECT

no hurry, and yeah coldies may be the way to go, even though i hate goldfish.....

anything that involves excess work and im not good....... take computers for example....

:confused: :confused: :lol: :lol:

Beetle,

the range of coldies has expanded much beyond Goldies these days.

Caution,

Dont get turtles as they will make the tank unuseable for anything else afterwards.

Something they emmit leeches into the glass and poisons the tank for ever after.

D.

Sb0h
27-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I kept tropicals all through high school and actually managed to keep them alive for years. The best tips I can give are:

1) Let the water in your tank age before introducing the fish. Do not fill the tank and go out and buy fish in the same day, leave the tank for a few days to settle.

2) Don't clean the tank too often. Fish get stressed out at water changes and constant fussing about with water temp and pH readings etc just kills them. Leave them alone and they survive a lot better.

3) When cleaning the tank and changing water only remove one third of the dirty water. Complete water changes are bad for your fish, they like consistancy.

4) As mentioned in the earlier post, start with guppies or some other easy to care for fish. Catfish and similar sucker fish are also easy to care for. Neons are happier in a school, so plan to get at least 6 or more.

5) Don't Don't Don't over feed your fish. They prefer to be a little hungry rather than swimming in rotting fish food.

Have fun and enjoy, tropical fish can be very soothing and a great alternative to TV.

:)

sarel
28-12-2004, 04:55 AM
I agree with sbOh - let the water age a few days first before you buy your fish. Neons are beautiful but you need a few and they can be a bit problematic (dying suddenly) whereas guppies will tolerate most things. Any suckerfish is a neccesity to keep algae away - stay away from snails tho'.

I agree with the overfeeding - depending on the fish - feed them only what they can eat in say 10 mins twice a day - a little bit at a time.

Good luck

sarel

John H
28-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I have only ever kept cold water fish, and all the hints above apply to them as well, in terms of tank care, water care, algae, snails, feeding, fin rot etc.

Some of the coldies were easier to keep than others - basically the ones that have been bred further and further away from the original stock (ie the ones with big frilly fins and googly eyes) are harder to keep (in my experience anyway).

Coldies seem to produce inordinate amounts of waste (yech) which is a bit unsightly, and their breeding habits in a tank :blush: will put you off males for the rest of your life :yuck: !!! Incredibly violent in the confined space, and in our case, terminally damaging to the poor female in question. I think we had the wrong ratio of males to females.

Very enjoyable in some ways, but hard work to keep them healthy, and they aren't as responsive as Rover or Tiddles... Hard to cuddle too.

FoxyMX
28-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Oh cripes!! Saw this thread and suddenly remembered the new additions to the family in The Girl's room. :eek:

She bought herself a bowl, gravel, weed and three little goldies just before Christmas then took off up north leaving strict instructions not to forget to feed them.

Yesterday I discovered one rather deceased member of the trio tucked under the weed and cringed at the thought of having to break the news. Went away for the night but remembered to feed the remaining two before leaving, returned home, saw this thread and rushed off to give them another snack... uh oh... now the second one was (upside) down, one to go. :(

It wasn't my fault - they looked stressed out before she left but how the heck am I going to break the news now? She is not due back for three more days so should I wait for #3 to pass away to goldie heaven then text her? Or should I wait until picking her up from the airport? :stare:

*Bites nails and decides to hop on the plane that she hops off.*

Good luck to you, Beetle! :dogeye:

Jen
28-12-2004, 05:14 PM
It wasn't my fault - they looked stressed out before she left but how the heck am I going to break the news now? She is not due back for three more days so should I wait for #3 to pass away to goldie heaven then text her? Or should I wait until picking her up from the airport?Go to the nearest pet shop or fish shop tomorrow and simply buy three more similar sized goldfish - she will never know ... ;) :p

xxll
28-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Gee, that's sad FoxyMX, not a nice predicament to be in.

If she did all that the shop advised after such a short period of ownership there is a good case for a free replacement.

Re the bowl, the ratio of water to fish is governed not by the amount of water but the amount of surface area. If the bowl narrows towards the top, it is preferable to fill it up to the widest part only, provided there is still enough water, so that it gets the most oxygen/air transfer. (That's why an aeration pump allows a greater ratio of fish to water.) I am not suggesting that your three fish were too many for the bowl as the shop would have allowed for that I guess.

There are many possible causes for the demise of new fish. Some causes: Not letting the water stand long enough before introducing the fish, not floating them in the plastic bag long enough to equalise the water temperature before releasing them, not in the best of health at time of purchase, fly spraying without covering the bowl, too many fish in the bowl (unlikely with only three unless a very narrow top and filled to the top, or very small bowl), over stressed, too much fish food - not what they eat but what they don't eat.

>If you don't make dust, you eat dust.

Good one, spoken like a true CRF230F dirt rider! :D

FoxyMX
29-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Thank you for all your advice and tips, xxll (for both interests, by the way ;)).

The entire setup was purchased from one pet shop and as far as I could tell The Girl followed the instructions given by the shop pretty much to the letter regarding letting the water stand, releasing the fish, etc etc. Personally I think she stressed them out too much fiddling around placing the weed and ornaments after the fish had moved in even though I told her to leave them alone. She was also scooping out excess food after accidentally giving them too much so I am sure it was stress.

I don't use flyspray so it wouldn't have been that but what about perfume?? She marinates in some ghastly cheap stuff... :yuck:

I didn't know that about filling the bowl only to the widest part - this bowl is OK as it is big and wide at the mouth but the last lot of fish we had lived in a real "goldfish bowl" with a narrow neck and it was filled to the top. Couldn't have made the fish very happy though, as they both eventually committed suicide by jumping out of it! :o

>If you don't make dust, you eat dust.

Good one, spoken like a true CRF230F dirt rider!
I am working on it.... :D

Trust you are making lots of dust yourself lately. :thumbs:

Codex
29-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I quite like chips with my fish
yum nemo and chips ;)

beetle
07-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok got fish, tropicals, and am worried im over or under feeding......
help please....

when i do feed them its like that movie piranhna????
glad i not a peice of food....

types, 5 fish , 2 algae eaters and a sucker thing...LOL names beyound me at mo.

i would like to get a book or a site that helps me identify them, and gives good guidelines to go by......

thanxs

b :confused:

~sy~
07-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Where did you get them from. Did they not tell you what 'species' it was? :eek: What sucker thing :p

beetle
07-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Glo somethings,
Black stripe somethings and
2 algae eaters, (one spotty and one gold)
and a bristle face sucker fish....spotty thing too.
oh and a cherry fish.

was gonna write it down but forgot.....LOL

clear as mud.
b