PDA

View Full Version : PF1 ads are t3h suxx0rs!!

hamstar
26-12-2004, 10:31 PM
seriously guys, can we change the ad placement on the forums? They really suck...

That thing at the top... the pcworld logos should be on the red band and the ad smaller and below... its really annoying and distracting...

Also the one over there >>

That really craps out the page... any chance of making it a bit smaller, or moving it?

I realise you need it to get money so you can keep pressf1 online, but could you make things a little more ascetically pleasing?

I don't have an adblocker atm, zonealarm stopped blocking them...

Baldy
26-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Well ur on a free forum.

Just ignore them. Easypeesy

Winston001
26-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Have to agree with Baldy. This is free Hamster so we can't complain. In fact some forums (forae?) are loaded with adverts. I'd like them smaller too but what the heck. :thumbs:

drb1
26-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Have to agree with Baldy. This is free Hamster so we can't complain. In fact some forums (forae?) are loaded with adverts. I'd like them smaller too but what the heck. :thumbs:

Winston,

This is so.

Firefox gives all the ability to adjust advertising to taste.

People need not complain about something the microsoft victims seem to enjoy, do something about it, or live with it.

D.

Winston001
26-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Can you put up a screen-shot Drb1 please? So I can compare what Opera allows, with Firefox. I have pop-ups blocked but don't know if Opera will block much else.

hamstar
26-12-2004, 11:37 PM
meh, guess i am just being a moaner.... but that band at the top is not on... the ad is where the logos shud be....

drb1
26-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Can you put up a screen-shot Drb1 please? So I can compare what Opera allows, with Firefox. I have pop-ups blocked but don't know if Opera will block much else.

Winston,

For you I will try it is not something I have great success with.

I had instructions saved in the old jive watch list but they all dissapeared when we changed over.

I am set up with css edit, add block, flash block, immage block, moving immage, block, moving text block.

Basically I get a text only forum, I dont even see the smileys, and all immages or flash can be turned on or off at whim.

I get text for post new thread ect.

I get NO immages or ADDS at all.

I even managed to KILL the java movie flash thingy, that I made a thread about in the old forum.

IF you ever go to fastmail.fm the forum comes up just like their mail boxes no immages at all.

D.

drb1
27-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Winston ,

Lets see if this works.

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/screen.jpg

D.

Edit,

Well as long as the magnification beastie works for you, you should be able to see what you need.

D.

Edit,

I should probably have got the stripped idg header in but first attempt.

D.

Prescott
27-12-2004, 08:48 AM
what ads? i dont see any ads?

Terry Porritt
27-12-2004, 09:26 AM
what ads? i dont see any ads?

Precisely, what ads? I see no ads ? :nerd:

Baldy
27-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Blimey, where are the ads?

On my screen, I got ads that jingle jangle jingle

TonyF
27-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Opera in text mode is just fine - no ads...
Tony

beetle
27-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah What adds??????????

Firefox here. LOL

havnt seen a add for ages.....

:lol:

Jester
27-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah What adds??????????

Firefox here. LOL

havnt seen a add for ages.....

:lol:

Nor have I

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/pf1.jpg

Firefox Adblock rulz !!!!!111122one1

george12
27-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Same here with FF.

I never see ads, and if I do, I get the satisfaction of killing it and any other similar ads that fall into whatever filter I make for it...

Greg
27-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Nor have I

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/pf1.jpg

Firefox Adblock rulz !!!!!111122one1

I don't even get the IDG/PressF1 logos even with images fully enabled! :) :) :)
no ads (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/noads.gif)

Edward
27-12-2004, 05:24 PM
This is free Hamster so we can't complain. In fact some forums (forae?) are loaded with adverts

Fora :)

Winston001
27-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks Drb1. Certainly cleaner than Opera with the settings I'm using. I'll have a play around. :badpc:

drb1
28-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks Drb1. Certainly cleaner than Opera with the settings I'm using. I'll have a play around. :badpc:

Winston,

Experment, enjoy.

Easier with no flashing add things, and if one is still hamstrung on dial visably faster loading of pages.

D.

hamstar
28-12-2004, 08:45 AM
gah... k... i got adblock... the ads are gone...

But... there white space!!! how do i get rid of it?

get it off!! get it off!!!

Zygar
28-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately there's no way to get rid of the white space.

Growly
28-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I guess this is a bad time to mention that I love ads, and find that the colours of said features compliment very well the current layout of the forum. In my opinion...

hamstar
28-12-2004, 03:01 PM
/me sobs

eat soap
28-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I guess this is a bad time to mention that I love ads, and find that the colours of said features compliment very well the current layout of the forum. In my opinion...

A very bad time. lol

FoxyMX
28-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Ummm.... I think you guys could have been a little more discreet about admitting to blocking the PF1 adverts. They do, after all, help pay for this site and the gnomes would probably rather hear us say the ads are all wonderful... :stare:

Prescott
28-12-2004, 05:18 PM
just handle the jandle and try and forget about the white space, at least its better than a ad

hamstar
29-12-2004, 12:57 AM
better than an ad? I dunno, it pisses me off... more than an ad would....

maybe i could use a bookmarklet to just make this table go back to 100%...

tho i cant see anyhting like that in the source....

would it be a frame that that ad was in? ie >> left of this table

drb1
29-12-2004, 01:14 AM
gah... k... i got adblock... the ads are gone...

But... there white space!!! how do i get rid of it?

get it off!! get it off!!!

Change your text resolution, the dreaded white space will leave.

D.

drb1
29-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Ummm.... I think you guys could have been a little more discreet about admitting to blocking the PF1 adverts. They do, after all, help pay for this site and the gnomes would probably rather hear us say the ads are all wonderful... :stare:

The hardworking gnome's are enslaved buy IDIOTIC add marketers whom do not seem to care that they have created a situation in which any form of advertising is percieved buy a large number of the GP as evil and to be obliterated at any cost.

I feel sorry for the Micro victims who can not so easily block adds.

It would not suprise me in the slightest if sites started to block brousers with add block.

Then there will be another round in the add block brouser wars.

If I have to have adds or cookies enabeled to visit your site you will have to have some good free things.

I Really Really Really want, or it wont happen.

A few adds I would tolerate, Abuse of flash, and blinking elements that hurt the eyes, and add overload, let alone the bandwidth consumed, have resulted in totall add removall.

D.

hamstar
29-12-2004, 02:37 AM
changed my text size (??) but then I have to have it huge and spaning more than 1024 pixels...

Ugly... on going back to normal size (ctrl+0) the space just returns:groan:...

that space is really really getting on my nerves now.....

Big John
29-12-2004, 03:02 AM
seriously guys, can we change the ad placement on the forums? They really suck...

Humm, Dont see any ads but then Nortons IS filters ads out of nearly every web page.

Prescott
29-12-2004, 08:04 AM
where can i get that ad block you guys are talking about, i might just try it out and see if it is better than the way im doing it

FoxyMX
29-12-2004, 08:55 AM
that space is really really getting on my nerves now.....
Move your browser window so that the white part is hidden offscreen. :p

ninja
29-12-2004, 10:14 AM
where can i get that ad block you guys are talking about, i might just try it out and see if it is better than the way im doing it

If you're using a real browser:
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&id=10

Rob99
29-12-2004, 10:37 AM
There are two very easy fixes avaliable.

First you will need a sheet of paper and some tape.
With one hand hold the paper over the anoying whitespace or adds to the right of the screen and use some tape to hold it on at the top. I do not recomend taping anymore than the top as when you use another program or visit different websites, you may need to enable the right side of your screen again, all you have to do is flip the paper up. See here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Rob99-noads.jpg)

Second method, you could yse your monitor's sideways movement adjustment option, and shift your screen right, or use the stretch to strech the right hand side out of view.

;) :2cents:

Codex
29-12-2004, 10:53 AM
lol sounds very technical there Rob99 it takes alot of effort to stick a piece of paper to the screen ;) you could always get a white board marker and just colour in that section of the screen ;) :D

agent
29-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Rob, you're a genius!

*Runs to get paper and sellotape*

:nerd:

Codex
29-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Rob, you're a genius!

*Runs to get paper and sellotape*

:nerd:
lol

FoxyMX
29-12-2004, 11:19 AM
There are two very easy fixes avaliable.

First you will need a sheet of paper and some tape.
<snip>
See here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Rob99-noads.jpg)

LMAO

Out of the frying pan and into the fire - that's even more white space than we have now! :D

Solution: Use coloured paper rather than white. :p

agent
29-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I guess you could also carefully open up your CRT and place a small sheet of steel on the right side so that the beams don't even make it to the glass...

Just make sure you turn off the power before doing so.

beetle
29-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Um those blocks i recall are in the chiller section at the supermarket....called Tasty, Cheddar, and Mild????come in assorted sizes.... and brands........ not dell......anything up to 1kg.....that fit the size white block you thinking about??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prescott
29-12-2004, 02:15 PM
If you're using a real browser:
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&id=10

of course i am :) cheers for that, its better than blocking the images from the image option firefox

Mary
29-12-2004, 03:12 PM
These ads are no different to what was on the old forum, and are "standard" size, so you will see this size on other sites worldwide.
As for the slight change of top banner placement, I would have thought it was better than previous, as you can just scroll your browser and hide it completely.
This is a free forum, and we do have to make money somehow, so please don't complain - we at IDG do know that ads can be annoying, but be thankful we don't do popup ads, or those really annoying popover ads that come up over the text!!

Have a great new year everyone! :)

Rob99
29-12-2004, 03:24 PM
but be thankful we don't do popup ads, or those really annoying popover ads that come up over the text!!
They would be better as just about everyone with the latest browsers or service packs will be blocking those.

My vote drop the ads on screen and go for popup's. :thumbs:

:2cents:

Prescott
29-12-2004, 05:12 PM
i actually have no problem with the ads, and i know you guys need to make some $$ some how

FoxyMX
30-12-2004, 08:41 AM
They would be better as just about everyone with the latest browsers or service packs will be blocking those.

My vote drop the ads on screen and go for popup's. :thumbs:

And then it wouldn't be long before we kiss Press F1 goodbye. :groan:

Metla
30-12-2004, 08:49 AM
I have asked this question before and never recieved an answer,I shall try again.

Is the revenue from the adds generated by views or clicks?

Mary?

The point being that even if i had the adds displayed, There is zero chance they would be inviting enough for me to pay them a visit, (although i may enablethem for a second to see what they are)

Edit-Meh...i guess i won't have a gander at the adds afterall, Couldn't even get em to display.

Unless....shock....horrer....I use IE....

Mary
30-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi Metla,
Sorry haven't seen this asked before..
The ads are bought per CPM (cost per thousand), so people buy say 50,000 impressions i.e. one "impression" is every time a single ad is loaded on a page.
HTH

mister harbies
30-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Mary,

Do you get impressions if I am using Firefox? Because firefox is blocking these ads, no ads are displayed. Does this mean you are not getting revenue from us firefox users?

I hope I am clear here.

;)

FoxyMX
30-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Do you get impressions if I am using Firefox? Because firefox is blocking these ads, no ads are displayed. Does this mean you are not getting revenue from us firefox users?

My understanding is that the adblockers do not download the ads from the site's server so it is unlikely that any revenue could be gained if you don't see the ads. :dogeye:

drb1
30-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Metla,
Sorry haven't seen this asked before..
The ads are bought per CPM (cost per thousand), so people buy say 50,000 impressions i.e. one "impression" is every time a single ad is loaded on a page.
HTH

So the Advertiser is not being defrauded in any way as they only pay when the add is loaded.

The site operator is carrying the cost of all visitors who run add block.

As this site is also an IDG promo site as long as the cost is not too high it should remain viable. even with add blocking.

D.

E|im
30-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Try Agnitum Outpost Firewall (http://www.agnitum.com). Very nice program and as a bonus it will kill the ads.

beetle
30-12-2004, 08:13 PM
So Foxy, youre telling us to lie and say yeah all those add's we see??????? :thumbs:
And not the ones we dont.....LOL

:horrified

:badpc:

just me!!!!

hamstar
01-01-2005, 12:31 AM
I figured out how to be rid of the white space!!!

All I gotta do i use an extension called nuke anything right click in the space and click remove this object... it disappears!!

Only untill i refresh or change pages tho....

Well it's better than nothing.... :D