PDA

View Full Version : New Feature

jebby
22-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Greetings all, what is the feature called in the new PF1, where if you hold the pointer over a post it displays the first few lines ? I like it. Merry Christmas to you all.

Jen
22-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Think it is called a Thread Preview tool tip. Don't go mentioning this to the Opera browser users as they don't get this :p

I believe that IE gives a much bigger preview tool tip that what Firefox does, think Firefox only does the first 70 characters of the post?

Metla
22-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Just goes to show Opera users know everything already, Firefox users know but are sensible to get just the right amount of info to make certain and IE users need it all laid out on a plate for them..... :D

Cicero
22-12-2004, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Metla]Just goes to show Opera users know everything already, Firefox users know but are sensible to get just the right amount of info to make certain and IE users need it all laid out on a plate for them..... :D

[/QUO

Or conversely one could say we I/E users.

have a more complete tool.

n.b. I said have not are. :D

|llus|oN
22-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Don't go mentioning this to the Opera browser users as they don't get this
Ummmmmmm ...... I beg to differ. It shows in the status bar :rolleyes:

TonyF
22-12-2004, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=
... I beg to differ. It shows in the status bar
[/QUOTE]
Indeed it does - learn something every day !!
Cheers
Tony

noone
23-12-2004, 10:33 AM
its a bit crap for me in firefox as the box thingy seems to hang around

beama
23-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Think it is called a Thread Preview tool tip. Don't go mentioning this to the Opera browser users as they don't get this :p

changes default browser to Opera and thanks Jen for telling me

Chilling_Silence
23-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Either that or IE Users need telling twice ;-)

Murray P
23-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Either that or IE Users need telling twice ;-)

Well, they've been told often enough already Chill and they still don't get it, so it's gotta be a waste of bandwidth and electrons giving them info they will likely ignore or goes right by without a flutter of recognition :groan: or perhaps this one: :cool: is more descriptive :D

FoxyMX
23-12-2004, 09:41 PM

Opera does so have a thread preview tool tip!!

*cough*

Sorry for shouting but yeah, Opera can do this fancy trick after all. It was all in the way I was holding my mouth... er, I mean mouse. The cursor position is vital - it needs to be placed in the middle (vertically) of the link.

I believe that IE gives a much bigger preview tool tip that what Firefox does, think Firefox only does the first 70 characters of the post?

Opera's preview is the full monty like Internet Explorer's, not the cut-down version that miserable old Firefox gives.

So Beetle, go git yerself a decent browser now!! :p :D

Jen
23-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Opera does so have a thread preview tool tip!!Yeah, well OK then :p
I don't have Opera to test this, but I was reading up on vBulletin tool tips and everyone was moaning about the lack of them in Opera - maybe Opera's newer browsers supports this now - that is my excuse and I am sticking to it :D

TonyF
23-12-2004, 09:54 PM
OK Jen. Grab a copy of Opera and try it out. Of course you know where to go to get the fix to remove the ads ... We simple souls don't ...
Cheers T

Jen
23-12-2004, 10:35 PM
OK Jen. Grab a copy of Opera and try it out. Of course you know where to go to get the fix to remove the ads ...The things I do for you guys - OK I have the Linux version of Opera installed now :rolleyes:

But, really!? :illogical I've just spent the last 10 mins trying to find the sweet spot on the page to get the tool tip to display (had an experienced Opera user giving me instructions on where to put the cursor as well :p). Firefox is much more simple with its needs and I don't need to hunt up the down the page trying to find the trigger spot.

Interesting. Might stick with Firefox :thumbs:

TonyF
23-12-2004, 10:39 PM
View/toolbars/status bar .....

Jen
23-12-2004, 10:45 PM
View/toolbars/status bar .....I did, and made myself dizzy from looking up and down and up and down ... :p

Sorry, but I am a hardened Firefox user - good try tho! :D

FoxyMX
23-12-2004, 10:52 PM
View/toolbars/status bar .....
Not necessary on mine - in fact you still need to hit the "sweet spot" for it to show in the status bar as well. ;)

TonyF
23-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I give up. I will pull in a firefox to be up with the crowd.Just had a keyboard chat with daughter in UK - v cold but sunny.
Cheers T

|llus|oN
23-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Sorry Jen but I use 7.23, so I guess some of the (slightly) older versions of Opera have that feature too ;)

Cicero
23-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I give up. I will pull in a firefox to be up with the crowd.Just had a keyboard chat with daughter in UK - v cold but sunny.
Cheers T

Hope you are using Yahoo,so superior for I/M.

Can't see what is wrong with O/E.

Baldy
24-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Hope you are using Yahoo,so superior for I/M.

Can't see what is wrong with O/E.

Gawd, whats with all the hoohaa over a freekin browser. IE, Opera, Firefox bladebladeblaaaaaa. In the end, we are all reading this forum no matter what we use

Personally, I hate the dipstick in my car and mite change it for a Ferrari one.

theother1
24-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Personally, It might just be that I am a slow reader, but I find that little preview thing doesn't stay around long enough for me to read it and then if I am scrolling down using the the scroll wheel and leave the curser on the forum I get a succession of preview windows and can't read what is the title of the thread. :(

I saw a dipstick in a Ferrari the other day Baldy. Mind you even if he'd changed cars he still would have been a dipstick.

FoxyMX
24-12-2004, 08:39 AM
I saw a dipstick in a Ferrari the other day Baldy. Mind you even if he'd changed cars he still would have been a dipstick.
Was it this one (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?u=8944)? :p

I give up. I will pull in a firefox to be up with the crowd.
Nooooooo!! Don't leave me Tony!! :dogeye:

TonyF
24-12-2004, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=FoxyMX

Nooooooo!! Don't leave me Tony!! [/QUOTE]

OK OK ! Nice to know someone here cares for me ....

Cheers Tony