PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS.Is this illegal?

Ninjabear
22-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Nintendo Ds has just been released.
Unforunately..

Games for Ds are based on catridges rite?
Well..

In Hk.There has been a release of what is called a super card.You buy a compact flash card could be any size for example a 1gb compact flash card.
People can then download GameBoy Advance Roms or Gameboy Ds roms from the net and upload to the compact flash card.Slot the compact flash memory into the super card then plug into the nintendo Ds.
I'm planning to sell this card but arent sure if is illegal.
The card made by this manufacturer doesn't care what you use it for just like kazaa lite.Release something and they do not accept any responsibility on what you download or use their software for.
IF i sell this card would it be just a 3rd party developer who made this card with no intention on spreading piracy?

Its just how we treat the things we have?

I'm sure there are other things that can be uploaded either than games like music or video although Im not relatively sure that Ds can do that.

What do u guys think?

Illegal?

IF i wrote in my auction the purpose of the card and what it can be use for and say that the intention of this card is not just to download games but can be used with other things?

Yeah I think it sounds lame and in my knowledge it is illegal but want to know what you guys think? :confused:

Graham L
22-12-2004, 01:45 PM
It's probably perfectly legal to sell such things. It might be "illegal" to use them. :cool:

I suppose if you programmed games for Nintendo, and distributed them by downloading, or sold tem on flash cards, it could be perfectly legal (if you don't need a licence to make games for Nintendo).

Fergie
24-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey man.
I used to own one of the GBA: Flash rom things - i got about 4 of them in from HK - no probs thro customs etc.
And after i got sick of teh GBA, i chucked 2 of them on TM - both sold, no probs from buyers or TM.

Do you sell the DS??
If so - how much u selling it for?

And whats the name of this product u talking bout?

How much for that?

Cheers

DangerousDave
24-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I was quite into GBA development earlier this year and dreamed for a flash card but couldn't afford it (emulator got me through though). They are great for your own homebrew games. They can also be used to load music and movies on, which may or maynot be illegal. You could think of it as a CD-R, they have potential to be illegal but serve many legal purposes in the first place.

- David

Codex
24-12-2004, 09:25 PM
well it is to my understanding that if you own the game and then download it exactly the same its legal because u have paid for it, and also that you may download a rom for a 24 hour trial period otherwise illegal illegal illegal!!!

Fergie
24-12-2004, 09:53 PM
well it is to my understanding that if you own the game and then download it exactly the same its legal because u have paid for it, and also that you may download a rom for a 24 hour trial period otherwise illegal illegal illegal!!!

And its my understanding that these are all just rumors, and myths given out by the people who pirate games.
The 24hr one was a good one - i remeber looking in a ton of forums - and EVERYONE used that excuse, then there would always be the guy hu was into laws etc and always sed there was no such thing, never would be etc, onyl way it would work was if you were hiring games eg

But i used the flash rom to try some homemade games me and my mate would make (just basic stuff - pong etc !!) but with all that gear, the temptation did lead us to downloading some roms onto it (i had a ton of roms on my pc b4 i even got a GBA - infact, playing the games on PC lead me to buying the GBA)

And as for the Q's re: the DS, no worries - i'm gonna save my pennies for the PSP!

DangerousDave
24-12-2004, 11:41 PM

nope, very, very wrong. Currently in New Zealand you cannot make backup copies of anything (breach of copyright law - this means ripping music onto an ipod is illegal). The copyright whores would like to make you think that you can't get 2 for 1 etc: but we won't go there. Their looking at changing this law next year to match the rest of the world - much to the recording industries dismay.

24 hour trial period is so incredibly wrong its not funny. I don't know why people accept it (maybe to make their consious feel better).

Unless the author has made the game and gives you rights to download it freely (i.e. only homebrew games) then its illegal. No questions asked.

Out of interest Fergie, what libraries were you using for GBA dev?

- David

Willuknight
25-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I always wanted a flash cartidge for my GBA, so i could load mp3s and other media stuff, as well as ebooks :(

Ninjabear
25-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey man.
I used to own one of the GBA: Flash rom things - i got about 4 of them in from HK - no probs thro customs etc.
And after i got sick of teh GBA, i chucked 2 of them on TM - both sold, no probs from buyers or TM.

Do you sell the DS??
If so - how much u selling it for?

And whats the name of this product u talking bout?

How much for that?

Cheers

Selling at $310Nz include shipping.$380 with 1 game.

The super card sells at around $75NZ

Codex
25-12-2004, 01:21 PM
i never accepted it lol thats just what i konw of, just burst mi bubble why dont ya :( lol

Ninjabear
25-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Im sure codex you have lots of mp3s on your computer :)

Mirddes
25-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Ninjabear, how much does it cost you to aquire the DS's b4 you onsell them to consumers...
i have friends in distrobution
oh and same for the individual games

george12
25-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Ninjabear, how much does it cost you to aquire the DS's b4 you onsell them to consumers...
i have friends in distrobution
oh and same for the individual games

The RRP for them in the US is US$150, or New Zealand $209.09. You would then have to take into account the cost of shippings and taxes etc, which depends on quantities.

In Japan they are 15,000 Yen or New Zealand $204.

Where do you get them in from?

Mirddes
25-12-2004, 10:33 PM
no idea, my aunt/uncle work for vodafone, and over the years have aquired "friends" in various places, and in doign so are now able to get certian products for cost.
cost i beleive is all it costs to produce, and sell to the distrobution companies, alot lower than they are sold "on the street"
i beleive she was saying , as an example to me, that she would be able to get a ps2 for $150 or there abuots

Codex
25-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Im sure codex you have lots of mp3s on your computer :)

and what is that supose to mean?? :illogical hmmmmmmmmm :illogical

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:07 AM
No tax because im selling it under $400NZ.Hk official stock

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:09 AM
I sold one previously for $295.No trademe fees.Postage included.Selling them online for $310.It includes postage,insurance etc.There's no tax

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Codex.What you said was that roms are downloaded and has to be deleted within 24 hours because they are illegal.
But mp3s are kinda illegal to download too.Im sure you have mp3s on your computer which means that if I sell the super card online.ITs like saying people are downloading mp3s without paying the company.

Sorry,Won't comment on the HK$ retail price but i can tell you i dont earn alot.Cheers

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:14 AM
What so weird is that the Nintendo DS Hk stock is made from china but the manual's in japanese.Dispite that the nintendo Ds when u boot it up.The menus etc are all in english.

Unfortunately USa Nintendo Ds stock needs a power converter.ITs 110V.

Hk runs on 230v same in Nz.I also supply a free NZ wall adaptor

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:18 AM
no idea, my aunt/uncle work for vodafone, and over the years have aquired "friends" in various places, and in doign so are now able to get certian products for cost.
cost i beleive is all it costs to produce, and sell to the distrobution companies, alot lower than they are sold "on the street"
i beleive she was saying , as an example to me, that she would be able to get a ps2 for $150 or there abuots

True,I can tell u this.Sony Md MZ-Nh1 Hk retail is at $2698Hk.Thats around $500Nz but from the distributor u can get it for $2300Hk .thats about $450-$470NZ.

You should go to Hk.lol.MZ-nh1 retails at $899.
Too expensive.I always wonder if its so expensive.Is it because of GST?

Ninjabear
26-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Must've gone through alot of distributors to end up at $899NZ retail to buy with sony NZ :groan:

Cygoku
31-12-2004, 02:24 AM
In Hk.There has been a release of what is called a super card.You buy a compact flash card could be any size for example a 1gb compact flash card.
People can then download GameBoy Advance Roms or Gameboy Ds roms from the net and upload to the compact flash card.Slot the compact flash memory into the super card then plug into the nintendo Ds.Hummm... What's the thing. I never heard of any "super card" that also plays NINTENDO DS games/roms?!?!

So far there is only ONE NDS rom release.

Please explain and a link to that NDS flash cart would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D

Cygoku

Mirddes
31-12-2004, 06:38 AM
i do beleive he was refering to teh gba carts, i could be wrong.

Ninjabear
31-12-2004, 04:06 PM
go to www.supercard.cn

remember to click english on the top left hand corner

Ninjabear
31-12-2004, 04:07 PM
The super card does not yet support Ds roms.Only gamebody advance,Game boy colour and the old gameboy roms.
Once the super card supports Ds roms you simply upgrade the firmware and overwrite the old firmware .Firmware can be downloaded from that website

Mirddes
31-12-2004, 08:41 PM
but will the DS boot the a ds game from the gba slot.

Ninjabear
01-01-2005, 01:14 PM
GAmeboy advance will not boot Ds games.The catridge don't even fit either thats why Nintendo Ds has two slots.One for the Ds catridges and the other for Gameboy advance.Gameboy colour is no longer supported with the DS .You can still play Gameboy Colour games with that super card

35chris3
13-09-2007, 09:55 AM
it may or may not be illegal... it may be illegal because roms are from retail games.... it may not be because in all my GBA and NDS games i have never seen any CopyRight warnings.