PDA

View Full Version : Why go invisble??

Raikyn
16-12-2004, 11:51 PM
What is the point of hiding? At the moment there are 3 invisible users trying to hide the fact that they are looking at this site. Why bother?

Doesn't apply to mods or admins though, they have reason enough :)

agent
16-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Why bother?

Because I think the Who's Online page can be too detailed. I don't particularly fancy, as an example, other users being able to tell when I am changing my password and/or email address.

In other words, I think it's a minor invasion of privacy.

Raikyn
17-12-2004, 12:06 AM
That's one down, two to go :D

Though I don't use anything related to me be it user/password related. In fact I use same names and stuff on all forums I visit.

Graham L
17-12-2004, 10:50 AM
How does one become "invisible"? Do you mean the people who appear as "Guests" in the count? They are just not logged in. Some might not be registered. Some might just want to have a quick look, and will log on only if they want to post something.

Metla
17-12-2004, 10:52 AM
One simply selects invisible in the control panel,and then their activities can't be monotred by other users,apart from the mods of course.

noone
17-12-2004, 11:37 AM
so people you have worked up dont see u and start harrasing you via personal message etc

Metla
17-12-2004, 11:48 AM
My thinking is more along the line that i don't want people going OMG, Metla has been logged in for 70 hours straight....he has no life,uber loser...etc etc.

Actually,i was hiding from someone who i refused to play a game of CS with as i was going offline.

Lmao.

Meh,Without a word of a lie its because i always imagined my name up in lights,Seeing it displayed in text at the bottem of a forum just reminds me of my failure to dominate the entire world via kick ass rock n freaking roll.

Yeah baby.

Muhahahahahahahaha.

noone
17-12-2004, 11:50 AM
70 HOURS - man you do have no life

agent
17-12-2004, 11:51 AM
They can still search for any post by you, click on your username, and send a private message.

Or go to the member list, find you, and send a private message.

Or compose a new private message and put your username in the recipients box.

Metla
17-12-2004, 11:54 AM
70 HOURS - man you do have no life

I have a great life.

Infact i often wonder how everything managed to work out so well.

Probally some life changing catastrophy waiting just around the corner though, Lifes like that.

beetle
17-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Metla i have no intention of walking through your door today. so its not me this time. :eek:

I am not currently having any puter probs so no reason to stuff up your day by visiting.

apart from the problem of this not posting that is! :badpc:

Edward
17-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Probally some life changing catastrophy waiting just around the corner though, Lifes like that.

so is windows @_@

Jester
17-12-2004, 12:40 PM
CS ??! - Man you have no life!111112one

:D :D

ILikeLinux
17-12-2004, 12:42 PM
buttons, ooooh more butons, what does this do?

just happens to be that i clicked on the invisible button (hey? how can that be?)

any way, have to get back to clicking buttons.

My :2cents:

J ZEP
17-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks Raikyn,I asked somebody this question yesterday - so if we are in invisible mode, obviously people can still see us "in" invisible mode??!
Which does tend to contradict the point of having it, lol.
Icq is the same too, it was good in the early versions, when "invisible" meant invisible (i.e appear offline).
Or am i wrong? and setting to invis. does mean we appear offline to others? However if that were the case, Raikyn wouldn't have known people were set to invis would he/she? When you are set to invis, you show in your own browser with the red dot (invisible).
I always wondered why this function was still there is icq, you may as well just be set to "away" or "dnd".

My question though - if you are set to invis. - can users still see what you are doing as Agent suggested? In the "whos online"? As you still appear there to yourself as online when set in invis. mode ???

Confused I am

noone
17-12-2004, 12:58 PM
woot -- new similies

agent
17-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Argh! JZEP, you've killed the text wrapping on this thread :p

Anyhow, I believe you simply don't appear in the Who's Online page when set to invisible. However, I think Raikyn could tell by comparing the figures on the main page (number of users and guests) to those shown in the Who's Online page.

J ZEP
17-12-2004, 03:27 PM
:blush: Sorry Guys :blush:

:thumbs: Big Thanks for fixing my "first" blunder (of many, no doubt) Mr Mod ;) :).

That came about from me playing with the "editor" me thinks (WSWYG) - then to top it off by the time i posted and saw my blunder then went and "edited" my post, my "editing" time was elapsed!

***Makes note to herself not to bother trying to correct any future blunders, easier to just "delete" on a slow conn...

Graham L
17-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Invisibility buttons? I'll stick to my Ring of Power. ... One ring to bind them all ... :stare:

godfather
17-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Invisibility buttons? I'll stick to my Ring of Power. ... One ring to bind them all ... :stare:
If your ring of power is bound, Metamucil may help?

Cicero
17-12-2004, 04:13 PM
If your ring of power is bound, Metamucil may help?

:) :) :)

R2x1
17-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Metla i have no intention of walking through your door today. so its not me this time. :eek:

I am not currently having any puter probs so no reason to stuff up your day by visiting.

apart from the problem of this not posting that is! :badpc:

And then - - - out of the blue - - - :badpc: Lemon Drops !

beetle
17-12-2004, 07:20 PM
:eek:

Lemon drops....LOL yeah she is just asserting her authority again...... need to wave a hammer at her again.....

:@@: :badpc:

~sy~
17-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Privacy reasons obviously. I see you can even check up on which thread people are reading! :eek:

beetle
17-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Or not reading as the case may be, scouse ? posted this out in his thread, veiwers and veiwing??? i think.

where the flocks of people are and arenot going it seems.....and how many are suposedly here or not????

LOL

:@@: :@@:

noone
17-12-2004, 09:28 PM
if people dont want to be seen let them not be seen - if that makes sence

Raikyn
17-12-2004, 10:01 PM
^^ oh for a spell checker ;)

Mainly I was wondering what people have got to hide :thumbs:

noone
17-12-2004, 10:06 PM
please do not comment on my spelling - i dont think you will stop - i can spell but when typing i dont think about it due to the speed

Codex
17-12-2004, 10:12 PM
lol ur trying to out random me........i'll get you........just you wait.........STRAWBERRIES!!!!

there beat that lol

Raikyn
17-12-2004, 10:15 PM
It could have been worse. I could have gone on about lack of capital letters and apostrophes.

Don't take it seriously :thumbs:

FoxyMX
18-12-2004, 08:55 AM
It is easy enough to hide - just log out. :D

R2x1
18-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Invisible? I don't see why not.