PDA

View Full Version : harrier cellphone - anybody with one here?

falvrez
10-12-2004, 06:41 AM
I should be getting mine next week (just in time for Christmas yay) and was wondering if anyone here has one and what the good and bad points are.
No it won't cost me anything, it's a work phone.

One other thing I see it has an SD card slot but no WLAN, but I also see there's a Sandisk SD wifi card available. Has anyone seen or used one of these? They seem a bit pricy but at least it would give the unit more usability...

Thanks for any feedback.

whetu
10-12-2004, 10:47 AM
we support them at work (oh joy) and so far the only consistent problem is that the sliding mechanism tends to come loose after just a few weeks use... you'll notice the gap between the two modules increase and you'll be able to wiggle them a considerable amount...

apart from that, its battery life sucks if you try to use it pda style (couple of hours at most)

sam m
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Have had one for about 1 month now. I have had no problems at all with it so far. Yet to see the full effect of 3G as I live in Hamilton so online speed is about the same as landline dial up, but it is very handy.

jend274
21-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Have had mine for about a month - love it. It has totally taken over from my paper diary, and my email follows me on the go. The phone has good quality sound and the bluetooth headset is easy to set up and use. I wouldn't go back to my old ways now!

Only down side was that ringtones were a little quiet, but .wav ringtones can be made louder by using the sound recorder on your main pc then sync-ing them onto the harrier. A little heavy for a woman to wear on her waistband - but no problem in the handbag as long as the button lock is applied.

T3G goes like lightening.

AKiwiGirl
25-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Have had mine since early Nov - absolutely love it. It did go back to Telecom tho as I was having major screen freezes, and soft resets didnt help. Have not re-installed Today Themes from Msoft site after getting it back from Telecom as factory standard - its now running fine.

I put 512Mb SD card in, and have been able to transfer data from my clunky Psion 5mx handheld computer to Harrier - and have it working as mp3 player as well. Synching with PC is sooooooo easy.

Downside would be the quiet ringtones - and miss lots of calls & txts when its in my handbag. Jend... can you give a bit more detail please on how you created louder tones???? Would love to do the same.

Latest OnMobile mag (Dec/Jan comments on... "the new voice commands - push a button and tell the device to open Internet Explorer, search for a contact entry or play some music - and your wish is its command. The system requires no voice training, but if it doesnt understand you it asks you to 'try again' ."

Is anyone successfully using this feature? I only seem to be able to record voice notes, not use it as a voice commander.

Cheers
AKG

sam m
25-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Latest OnMobile mag (Dec/Jan comments on... "the new voice commands - push a button and tell the device to open Internet Explorer, search for a contact entry or play some music - and your wish is its command. The system requires no voice training, but if it doesnt understand you it asks you to 'try again' ."

Is anyone successfully using this feature? I only seem to be able to record voice notes, not use it as a voice commander.

Cheers
AKG

I read this online and thought that this would come in handy but yet to find any reference to voice commands in the manual. Is it possible that feature is not available on the NZ version of this unit. I read somewhere that it is manufactured under different names in different countries.

Maybe there is a software download/instal required.

sam m
25-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Have had mine for about a month - love it. It has totally taken over from my paper diary, and my email follows me on the go. The phone has good quality sound and the bluetooth headset is easy to set up and use. I wouldn't go back to my old ways now!

Only down side was that ringtones were a little quiet, but .wav ringtones can be made louder by using the sound recorder on your main pc then sync-ing them onto the harrier. A little heavy for a woman to wear on her waistband - but no problem in the handbag as long as the button lock is applied.

T3G goes like lightening.
Hi jend274

Can I ask make and model of the headset you are using. I have been looking online and the price range is huge (via Trademe). Just want to make sure I buy one that is easy to set up and trouble free.

Sandles
04-01-2005, 09:21 AM
I got one just before Christmas. My major beef is that when I syncornise with outlook all the numbers are +64(9) 373 4454 in layout. These are not recognised by telecom. Anyone have an answer. I have over 1300 numbers. I have ot edit each one before I use it and when I syncronise they get cahnged back? Also the battery doesn't last long because there is no case it keeps truning on. I have ordered a leather covered metal case from the states for 20USD which I hope will help.

sam m
04-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I got one just before Christmas. My major beef is that when I syncornise with outlook all the numbers are +64(9) 373 4454 in layout. These are not recognised by telecom. Anyone have an answer. I have over 1300 numbers. I have ot edit each one before I use it and when I syncronise they get cahnged back? Also the battery doesn't last long because there is no case it keeps truning on. I have ordered a leather covered metal case from the states for 20USD which I hope will help.

hi,
Could you post details of this case. I have been looking around for one as well.

If you want to stop accidentally turning the unit on then turn the buttons off using "Button Lock" under settings.

I am not sure of a way to change the +64 problem but if you change them on your Harrier as you use them then change the ActiveSync setting on your PC so that when you sync them the contacts on the PC gets changed to the 0064. Just beware that this may affect the other aspects of Outlook if you are trying to have them sync'd as well.

scarfies
21-01-2005, 03:22 PM
I have one of these, I wonder if anyone's managed to get a SanDisk 256MB + WiFi SD card working in theirs? Mine just locks up and has strange issues, like it wont format the SD card, I tell it yes I want to format the SD card but it just ignores that, I formatted it successfully in another device, and the wireless side of it doesn't do anything either.

Regards

girlgeek
25-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Anyone had any luck getting the Sandisk 256MB wifi SD card to work with the Harrier? Mine just freezes up until I take the card out.

KiwiTT_NZ
25-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Take a look at this link. http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/retail/wi-fi-sd-compatibility.pdf

Our model is effectively the XDA III or MDA III. Only the Standard wi-fi card is compatible and not the 256MB+WiFi

Also there appears to be a patch for the Harrier which fixes a lot of bluetooth issues and makes http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/default.mspx a real asset. My collegue is trialling it with a bluetooth headset.

koolme2
13-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Anyone know how do i get mine to connect to email to work? Just got one & wont connect on email. says no modem or change in settings in add a new modem connection. I have an xtra email But my main one is xnet(world xchange)

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Koolme2,

Time to start a new thread mate, rather than drag up this old one ;)

You need to get yours setup for the Internet, best way is to take it into a Telecom store. I know that GPRS access with the likes of the iMate phones is easily done on the Vodafone website but havent done it with the Harrier.

From there, just take in your username / password and the Telecom shop will help you to put in the pop / smtp details :) Its not that hard...

Cheers

Chill.