PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME shutdown probs

iron-zeus
30-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi, My comp has decided to stop shutting down properly. Now, to get it to shut down i have to push.. Alt Ctrl Del.. Then click end task on Explorer. after 20 seconds a box says, The program is not responding click, "wait" or "End now", i click End now the screen goes black for a second and then comes back on. I can then proceed to click shutdown as normal. I have not installed any new programs, My startup programs are kept to a minimum. I have disabled the Process System.ini and the Process Win ini file, basically followed the ME Trouble shooter and still no joy. Any help would be great :) Oh Running IE 6

Spacemannz
30-11-2004, 11:59 AM
I would scan for viruses/trojans etc and spyware. Have u updated Windows ME thru Windowsupdate? It might be a fix that u need. That may address the prob.

iron-zeus
30-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks Spacemannz, My comps been Virus checked, add awared, and spybotted, All my updates are up to date. So i ruled out that one.

fus1_n
30-11-2004, 02:20 PM
when did this happen? what had you done previously?

D. McG
30-11-2004, 03:08 PM
You may have to bite the bullet and do a refresh install (i.e. don't format the drive in the process) from installation / rescue CDs.
I've done about three to date because of funny things happening. So Wilky's remark in the Acronis TrueImage thread doesn't sound so bad after all (actually quite a classic!). For me, it was either a choice between ME and Microsoft's latest and unproven XP back in 2001. In hindsight, I should've taken my business elsewhere given the limited choice of OS (by a C. Brown enterprise).

I heard somewhere that ME is some combination of 98SE and Win2000. Not sure exactly which parts are which.

IE6 shouldn't contribute to the shutdown problem, but right now I am more comfortable with Firefox.

iron-zeus
30-11-2004, 04:57 PM
> when did this happen? what had you done previously?

Its been this way for a week now fus_n, I did install, play, then uninstalled a game demo, But thinking back i am unable to remember if this shutdown problem happened on the same day> :(

Jen C
30-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Have you followed the more extensive trouble-shooter guide on the MS site rather than in the Help Files?

How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273746)

Squibler
30-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I have sympathy on your case, I tried Windows ME for a while and after about a week I had 98 back on.

I find Windows ME is just not stable enough and can be very frustrating.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

george12
30-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, I have noticed the same thing.

IMO Windows ME is just a final DOS-based equivalent of Win2K for those who can't bear to leave their beloved 8-bit black-screened base behind them.

As it was once said:

"Windows ME is a 32-bit hack of a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit OS originally designed for 4-bit processors by a 2-bit company who can't stand 1 bit of competition."

Cheers George

D. McG
01-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Classic quote, George!

Someone could probably start a new OT thread with such classics. How about this one:

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not."

Elephant
01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
>
> "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those
> who understand binary and those who do not."

Oh VERY good. :-)

iron-zeus
02-12-2004, 02:55 PM
> Have you followed the more extensive trouble-shooter
> guide on the MS site rather than in the Help Files?

Thanks Jen C, I went through all that...still no joy :(