PDA

View Full Version : sequal to "I've been ripped off"

JJJJJ
30-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Well I got an adapter for my power cable and inserted the SATA disk.
I restarted my computer and it immediately loaded windows. All my programs are there and no hitches. For once things worked out as I had hoped. Amazing.
After putting the lid on and arranging my desk I decided to take notice of the message. "Windows has been installed over the allowable limit. You have three days to re-activate"
I phoned MS and answered a few questions and copied the string of numbers. All done.
So now I have 160 gigs of SATA hard drive. 1024 megs of ram. All that needs changing now is a 250 watt PSU for my 350. At the moment I'm not brave enough to do it.
Thanks for all the help and sympathy I've received.
Jack

noone
30-11-2004, 11:40 AM
yay

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
30-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Good to see progress is being made :)

Pete O\'Neil
30-11-2004, 12:07 PM
You realise by mearly opening the case youve probably voided your warrenty? Most of the major PC builders have very strict warrentys that mean only "qaulified" (i use that word lightly) technicians are allowed to open the PC.

noone
30-11-2004, 12:10 PM
and are you sure that 250w can handle with a gig of ram ?

E|im
30-11-2004, 12:12 PM
'Warranty void if case opened' warranties are bollocks and they can't do anything to cancel your warranty.

Good to see you got your problem fixed Jack. :)

flotus
30-11-2004, 12:19 PM
> 'Warranty void if case opened' warranties are
> bollocks and they can't do anything to cancel your
> warranty.

Is that a definitive comment based on fact, or just an opinion? I would have thought that if the EULA stats "warranty void if case is opened" they can void your warranty if you open the case.

Glad you got it working!

PaulD
30-11-2004, 12:21 PM
HP still have the concept of "End user repacable parts"
"End User Replaceable Parts (EURP) will be shipped directly to the customer and may include the fixed hard drive, all MultiBay devices, memory, keyboard, mouse and side skins. Removal and replacement Labour will only be provided for all other parts of the computer that require the chassis to be opened"

metla
30-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Godfather has mentioned it was challenged and found not to apply in NZ.

Godfather never talks out his arse.

CYaBro
30-11-2004, 12:28 PM
> 'Warranty void if case opened' warranties are
> bollocks and they can't do anything to cancel your
> warranty.

They can if they can prove that you didn't take the correct precautions to protect the parts inside from static etc.

the highlander
30-11-2004, 12:48 PM
>They can if they can prove that you didn't take the correct precautions to protect the parts inside from static etc.<

A tricky one to prove since the onus would be on them to prove that the customer was the cause of static damage"

ninja
30-11-2004, 01:50 PM
> Godfather has mentioned it was challenged and found
> not to apply in NZ.

Billy T has also mentioned it was challenged and found not to apply in NZ.

> Godfather never talks out his arse.

Billy T.... no wait I can't do it.

JJJJJ
30-11-2004, 01:54 PM
If you are not permitted to open the case, why do they give directions on how to do it in the literature that comes with the comp? And when you open the case the first thing you see is instructions on how to remove the front of the case.
Anyway it's running well but it's slow, very slow. I ran a check on it at PCPITSTOP. The overall score was 1292. My last box scored in the high 1500's.
Another thing. I thought I would treat myself to a new keyboard so I hooked up the new one that came with the comp. Press Mail button and it opens Yahoo mail. Hit Web and it opens Yahoo.com. Two other buttons lead you to HP blurb.
It's got a good selection of music etc. buttons which in my case are useless.
I don't even have the speakers plugged in, and all the music and messenger programs have been long deleted.
The new keyboard is now with the rest of the junk. Behind my garage.
Jack

Pete O\'Neil
30-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Jack you seem to have had a rough run of luck lately, perhaps next time you decide to buy something for your PC you could spend some time doing research. Whenever i decide to buy something it often takes me over a week of research before i hand over the cash more often than not what i end up buying is completely different to what i first saw in the shop or wanted to buy. Perhaps you could try returning the keyboard at worst they might offer you store credit.

I would take anything "PCPITSTOP" tells you with a grain of salt, the reason your PC will be running so slow is that your using a windows installion from another PC. There will be things installed etc that have no relevance to your new PC. I vaguely remember from another post you struggled to install drivers for your ethernet controller (forgive me if it wasnt you) have you bothered to install drivers for your new PC? e.g chipset, video, audio drivers? Not installing drivers can have a detrimental affect on performance.

JJJJJ
30-11-2004, 02:22 PM
In reply to Pete O'neil.
I haven't installed any new drivers yet. But all drivers are less than three months old.
The thing was slow from the day I bought it. Thats with it's own hard disk.
Changing the disk made no difference to the speed. Increasing the ram seemed to improve it a bit.
I have run registry mechanic a couple of times and removed hundreds of redundant entries.
I'm afraid I'm not like you. If I decide I want something I buy it on the spot. If I waited a day, never mind a week, I wouldn't buy it.
Thats one of the reasons I have four watches, and three fountain pens.(and not a bottle of ink in the house).
Jack

metla
30-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Drivers are hardware specific,how old they are matters not when they don't match the hardware.

Pete O\'Neil
30-11-2004, 02:32 PM
> I'm afraid I'm not like you. If I decide I want
> something I buy it on the spot. If I waited a day,
> never mind a week, I wouldn't buy it.
> Thats one of the reasons I have four watches, and
> three fountain pens.(and not a bottle of ink in the
> house).
LMAO, if you got another 3 watches Jack you could have one for every day of the week. I do find myself planning purchases and then after a week of research find myself eyeing up something else.

Back on the topic, if i found myself in your situation i would format the drive and reinstall windows (assuming you have a cd key and cd from your previous PC that no longer works due to a lack of HDD/Mobo?). A format and reinstall will clean out all the crap from the previous PC and at the same time gives you the opportunity to install and use the latest correct drivers. Not using any drivers is a bad idea, even if you had drivers installed for the previous PC they wont necessarily be the correct drivers to use with your current PC. From the infomation youve provided it sounds as if your current windows installation may have seen better days.

godfather
30-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Jack, I am proud of you!

Life is just too short to procrastinate and dither about buying such trivial things as computers (and watches, pens).

If you think its a good idea, you go for it. It's good to see that you do.

If it was a question of the PC or next months groceries, then thats valid, but when it isn't one has no reason to analyse the PC purchase to death beforehand.

The HP will be useful as a standby PC, to be used when too much fiddling occurs. Its a really good excuse to get another one now.

BTW, I already have a watch for every day of the week. And I use fountain pens.

As an aside I find it hard to believe that there are still some about that cannot accept that HP will not honour a warranty if the failure was not due to the user's intervention, case opened or not. As you say they consistently give advice on how to open the case, add RAM etc. Even the much maligned PC Co CEO has been published saying that opening a PC Co case in itself did not invalidate the warranty.

In all cases, if you cause the problem, then naturally it's not under warranty. That applies if the case is opened or not.

Graham L
30-11-2004, 03:00 PM
However, if a manufacturer wanted to challenge a warranty claim, the saga of Jack's "work" on his previous computer might give them some grounds.;-)

E|im
30-11-2004, 03:32 PM
> However, if a manufacturer wanted to challenge a warranty claim, the saga of Jack's "work" on his previous computer might give them some grounds.

:^O :^O

JJJJJ
30-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Ejim are you laughing at me or at the previous remark?
Jack :O

E|im
30-11-2004, 03:51 PM
> Ejim are you laughing at me or at the previous remark?

At the previous remark, as it is quoted. By the way it's E|im or Elim not Jim. ;)

Can I have one of those fountain pens? You and godfather have too much money ;)

Murray P
30-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Good stuff Jack. By all means update your drivers to the new hardware, if you have a mind to.

However, I think it would be a very interesting exercise to see how your Windows installation fairs from here on in. I hope you have taken notes so that in 6 months or a years time to can recount the new standard for migrating an existing installation to a new PC by simply swapping in the existing hard drive ;)

Would it be naughty if we took a book on it's longevity, winner takes all, but no fiddling in the meantime and hardware failures don't count :D

If you like, I would be more than happy to pass on a tip on how you can make it last as long as you like.

Billy T
30-11-2004, 08:07 PM
> Billy T.... no wait I can't do it.

Thanks ninja, I needed that :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

It's good to be home again

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
30-11-2004, 08:56 PM
> It's good to be home again

Good to see you back :)

Thomas
30-11-2004, 09:14 PM
>>Godfather never talks out his arse.
Such eloquence.

True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and nothing but what is necessary.

Baldy
30-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Jack, if you did your research and waited a week, maybe you wouldn't spend MORE than a week trying to fix your impulse buys.
;-)

Baldy
30-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Are you a Leo by any chance?