PDA

View Full Version : Speed, anyone ?

TonyF
29-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Located to the south of Hong Kong island, Cyberport is one of several large-scale technology projects aimed at retaining the region's reputation as the number one gateway to Asia.

It has taken four years to build and comes complete with a hi-tech hotel, apartments, shops and services.

But it is not just about good looks, according to David Chung, from Cyberport's computer operations.

"Our network is running at 100 megabits a second, which is 10 times faster than normal broadband connections.

"You basically can get all the wireless coverage everywhere, in any corner of Cyberport.

"We have a utility computing equivalent of 100 computers. So you can run different kinds of applications on top of it."

Telecom take note ...
TonyF

Murray P
29-11-2004, 09:09 PM
"10 x faster than normal broadband connections" :_| I wanna normal one and I wannit now and I wanallmyfriends to have a normal one too :_|

TonyF
29-11-2004, 09:14 PM
> "10 x faster than normal broadband connections" :_| I
> wanna normal one and I wannit now and I
> wanallmyfriends to have a normal one too :_|
Patience Murray. As noted in an earlier thread, Telecomare trialling VDSL at 56 M Bits .... We might get there before climate change mucks it all up ...

Cheers T

Elephant
29-11-2004, 09:14 PM
>Located to the south of Hong Kong island, Cyberport is one of several >large-scale technology projects aimed at retaining the region's >reputation as the number one gateway to Asia.

Well I'm not moving there any time soon.

Did you check out house prices?

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Bet this :D

Essent @Home, the Netherlands just told us that the Budget version of the Cable internet connection will go up in speed as of December 1st 2004. The current speed is 64kbit/s as budget, but from December 1st it will go up to 256kbit/s! Ofcourse the price will stay the same! More info about the prices at http://www.techconnect.nl/

Furthermore Essent also tells us that they are working very hard on a new way of Internet: Ethernet to the Home.

Ethernet to the Home is Internet speed at 100mbit per second!! Currently Essent is doing some tests in a town called Boxmeer in the Netherlands and upto now the results are amazing. The best thing also is that you dont need a modem anymore but you can just plugin your internet connection into the wall!

In 2006 we can probably expect some more places to join the Ethernet to the Home project....

Poppa John
29-11-2004, 09:30 PM
" In 2006 we can probably expect some more places to join the Ethernet to the Home project". Like NZ????. I doubt it somehow. As far as the Internet goes, I feel like "The Poor Relation" looking in the window at "The Rich Peoples House". NZ has a very good name, overseas, for our Electronic & Technical skills. What a pity that we settle for less at home. PJ :( :(

Growly
29-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Ethernet to the home?

Sounds like some sort of marketing ploy - not actual ethernet .... bloody hell.

TonyF
29-11-2004, 09:48 PM
> Essent @Home, the Netherlands just told us that the
> Budget version of the Cable internet connection will
> go up in speed as of December 1st 2004.
I have just sent this off to a local Dutch friend to annoy him ...He has been growling about his ADSL ..

Cheers T

Elephant
29-11-2004, 10:01 PM
But Poppa,

Do we as people have to accept what is available and also pay the price.

Now I would like to see everyone in NZ on Broadband as the country as a whole would benefit. A couple of Megabits a second would be enough.

I know people that use the Internet for about 10 hours per month and others use it for as long as they are awake.

If all you want to do is get Email once per day then a dial up connection for around $15 - $20 per month is fine. Less than a dollar a day as it were.

If you want to play games and download trailers for movies over the Internet then you may need a faster connection.

Being a Grandad I might want to receive photos and that can cost you 200K up to 125Megs. Usually about 6 minutes per Megabyte over a 56K dial up.

No different to buying a second hand Holden or Ford as opposed to a Ferrari. Skightly different of course as there is a speed limit on NZ roads and a Ferrari should not get you your destination any faster.

Have I got it right?

TonyF
29-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Hello Elephant.
> Being a Grandad I might want to receive photos
Two of my kids overseas send photos ( which are welcome) but they seem to have their cameras set on max, so I get lotsa megabytes !
Us Grandads need to find a solution ..

Cheers Tony

Elephant
29-11-2004, 11:04 PM
> Hello Elephant.
> > Being a Grandad I might want to receive photos
> Two of my kids overseas send photos ( which are
> welcome) but they seem to have their cameras set on
> max, so I get lotsa megabytes !
> Us Grandads need to find a solution ..
Tell them to scan the pics at less resolution or buy cheaper cameras or you get BroadBand.

Another way is to tell them to reduce the pic size before they send them.
There is a way of doing this but I have no idea where the pics are coming from and what O/S is used and what applications are used.

If you want to discuss this further then I think I may be able to help.

There is a software solution by Microsoft and free.

TonyF
29-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Hello Elephant. I forgot to mention that they all all clued- up but they just forget to shift down for Email...

Cheers Tony

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Try IrfanView - Use "Resample" and tell it to use the lazcos filter :-) Provides excellent results!

Elephant
29-11-2004, 11:35 PM
OK. Clued up. No problem..

I wasn't suggesting you wern't.

There IS a MICROSOFT solution if you have a free download from there.

Poppa John
30-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Elephant, am thinking about your post up above...

Is it possible to Internet via sattelite direct from Home/business? Does one need a dish? Is it expensive? Does one have to go thro an ISP? PJ