PDA

View Full Version : Acronis True Image

heaton
29-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Anybody had any experience with this software ? I have an external 130 gb hard drive and some months ago successfully backed up my entire hard drive 53gb including all operating systems. Since then a lot of changes and new programmes have been installed . What I am trying to do is delete the entire previous backup and do another complete backup. I have run into trouble with all sorts of messages that I cannot do this or that which despite reading through a pdf help file of pages and pages of ununderstandable guff has left me completely frustrated. Their website is no help either and e-mails to Acronis go unanswered. Any help greatly appreciated.

theotherone
29-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Have a look in this thread Heaton. I haven't used acronis but there might be something here.
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49687&message=295341&q=acronis#295341

Lohsing
29-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Used it with limited success. I prefer using Powerquest DriveImage to be honest.

Mind you, the time I had issues, it turned out the hard drive was dying... so who knows if the probs were hard drive related or software related?!

Lo.

Prescott
29-11-2004, 12:24 PM
are they free?

D. McG
29-11-2004, 01:39 PM
I was thinking of getting Acronis TrueImage 8 just this weekend, but decided to look on / wait for a newer version after reading their forums. There are a few issues, such as:
-> The entire imaging having to be restarted if just one CD encounters a problem (thus all other CDs are rendered invalid)
-> The inability of incremental backups to depend on only the previous full backup instead of a chain of incremental backups (not helpful when the Secure zone removes the oldest backups and their associated incremental backups to recover space)
-> The inconvenience of having to use 3rd party disc- / packet-writing software to write to CD (or did the post refer to an older version?)
-> The inability to set the CD burn speed - critical for 40x (or less) media in 52x drives

And no, neither TrueImage nor DriveImage (let alone Ghost) are free. And motherboard driver discs containing such software tend to carry an older version that is not supported and doesn't work, like the version of DriveImage on my Soltek software disk. I wonder how much of the motherboard cost goes to such worthless software.

At this rate I'd might as well write my own software to crawl the FAT32 partition & MBR and back that up (but only test the Restore option on a new HDD!).

Peter H
29-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Bit of a sweeping statement. I have used Drive Image 4.0, which as you say, comes with a Soltek Mother Board, many many times, with no problems. Operator problem maybe?
Bye

heaton
29-11-2004, 04:41 PM
None of the foregoing posts really answers my problem. Can I somehow delete the previous backup which is on my EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE and then do another backup with my updated programmes ??? Thanks for your help anyway.

CliveM
29-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Format your external hard drive. Then make a new backup on it. Works for me

D. McG
29-11-2004, 10:30 PM
> I have used Drive Image 4.0, which as you say, comes with a Soltek Mother Board, many many times, with no problems.

Okay, you may be able to help. Are you running Windows ME like I am? Every time I've tried to create an image it aborted with some 'unspecified error'. I could probably retry so that I can post the exact error codes, but I remember that they sometimes varied on different attempts. The particular version on my Soltek CD is DriveImage 4.0, which is quite outdated (especially according to Symantec, who now distributes it).

According to the manual it should support Windows ME, so I don't know what the problem is, and Symantec is unwilling to support this version in favour of trying to get me to buy their latest version.

Yes, it may have been a 'sweeping' statement, but for my purpose it did not fulfil the function it was designed for, nor did it live up to some of the claims it made. For this particular case the software is useless, unless someone can find a way of getting it to work in my case. I was merely discussing an apparent trend of older / unsupported software versions being placed on these discs, and the vendor trying to push sales through promoting their latest version. For instance, even though InterVideo has released several versions of WinDVD since the 2000 version, I am quite happy with what I've got as long as it works.

BTW, my relevant system specs are:
Athlon XP 2600+
512MB DDR400 RAM
Soltek NV400-L64 motherboard
Seagate 60GB 7200rpm HDD
LG GCE-8525BB 52x32x52x Internal IDE CD-RW
3.5" Floppy disk drive
Windows ME - installed by the PC Company (hence the rescue CD doesn't work having detected an upgraded computer, even though the HDD is the same)

Any help would be appreciated.

D. McG

Wilky
30-11-2004, 07:00 AM
> running Windows ME

There's your problem.

Peter H
30-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Not true - that is even more of a sweeping statement. It works in DOS anyway. Have to go out for a while - Golf day now the sun is shining - will get back to you later. I use W98se.
Bye

Peter H
30-11-2004, 01:05 PM
As it worked OK the first time, should do so again. What type of ext HD is it? In my case, the task is a lot easier for the computer. I am Imaging the C drive - 2.4gb - to the E partition - same HD - which is 17gb. I use no compression and takes about 15 minutes. Tried with low comp, but only sped it up by about 1 min. I assume yours hangs during the screen "Creating the Image" How far do the progress bars go? What level of compression do you use?
Bye

Peter H
30-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Just re-reading, and realised that I was replying to heaton's original post, not D.McG's.
Bye

Graham L
30-11-2004, 03:35 PM
You ought to be able to delete the old backup from the OS. They may have set the ReadOnly bit, (or been silly and used System -- or Hidden ;-)) so have a look at the properties of the file(s).

If you can't delete it, just format the external disk. :D

Mzee
02-12-2004, 10:57 AM
I have no problems with Acronis 8, but avoid using the "Safe Zone" as it tends to become the boss:)

Fishb8
04-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Heaton
I have TI8 and you can append changes to add to a previously created image. I also make a backup to disc, only 4.5 Gb, so it fits on a DVD. You can't burn directly to a disc (bad omission by Acronis) but I make an image to another partition on a 2nd disc and burn that to DVD, using Nero. Now I can go into explore (I use Power Desk as my default Explorer) and just delete that back-up. Can you see your back-up in Explorer? If so, then you should be able to delete it and re-create another image.

heaton
06-12-2004, 07:45 PM
To all who responded to my original question, many thanks. I managed to format my external hard drive which wiped all the original backup and started again with a clean slate. Took about three and a half hours to back up 55 odd gigs so I am now happy with an up to date back up or as they call it an image of my computer C drive .
Again thanks all.