PDA

View Full Version : Audio Driver SiS 7012

FrankS
29-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Running Win XP Home Edition with SP2. Lost Audio Driver SiS 7012. Obtained file a12111c.zip, unzipped but running SETUP.EXE get window stating "Update driver for PlugAndPlay devices, X -536870397 " Then get window "Installation failed". Any suggestions where to locate the wanted driver, presume driver is part of XP , all Windows Updates have been installed. Have CD that came with the computer but that gives same demand for a PlugAndPlay driver.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Did Windowsupdate give u an audio driver?? It does sometimes.

Have u tried Windowsupdate recently?? Does anything show in device manager under the soundcard like X or ?? Or that there's a prob with it??

It maybe conflicting with something in the system, if audio was going before but not now.

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Did you go here:
http://download.sis.com/

FrankS
29-11-2004, 06:48 PM
All windows updates installed, no audio driver to my knowledge. In Device Manager a Multimedia Audio Controller with a Yellow question mark has turned up during attempts to install SiS 7012. Controller details include 7012 and driver details state "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device". The file, a12111c.zip, is the latest 7012 driver file for XP from the SiS site mentioned by Chilling Silence.
Checked Device Manager, Plug and Play and the properties detail appear to be the latest XP SP2 files.
SiS push you onto the Main Board manufacturer with whom I currently have a query. Also have query with MS
A Internet search for PlugAndPlay and code got no result except to show how the words "Plug and Play" can be misused.

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2004, 06:57 PM
AFAIK My laptop uses the SiS7012 soundcard - I'll check for drivers when I get home.

I only used them once when I had to send the machine back and I put a WinXP 30 day trial on it (I wanted to listen to music before they took it back).

If I can find the Disc, I'll send drivers your way. Basically you should just be running the setup.exe file included in the .zip :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Just ssh'd into my laptop (at home) from work here, and alsamixer shows:

│ Card: SiS SI7012 │
│ Chip: Realtek ALC200/200P rev 0

Drivers should work fine, I'll put them on my ftp for you when I get back

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Yup u have a conflict somewhere. Double click on that question mark whats it say??

Go here to have a look

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q133240

Is this soundcard a PCI card or onboard?? Or is there onboard sound and this soundcard that has a prob, in the system as well??

Also check device manager for any other ? X, or yellow question marks.

FrankS
30-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all assistance. Late last night went onto Google (all languages), entered the code 536870397 and after trolling through various entries with translations from Japanese, French, German got about the 70th entry that was in Spanish with an exact description of my problem plus a solution. Had to interpret the translation but have got sound back. Basically you have to remove all traces of the SiS 7012 or the Setup comes to a grinding halt as it considers you already have SiS 7012 installed.
For info steps taken were:-
Unzipped file a12111c. zip and burnt onto a CD
From Add/Remove remove SiS7012 (it was Win 2000 version)
Search for any files containing 7012 and delete to bin so that Search only gives a list of Recycle files.
Run a Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation
Run a Registry Clean
In Device Manager go to Other Devices, Mutimedia Audio Controller with yellow question mark, click Properties, states drivers not installed (Code 28),
cl uninstall
Insert CD in drive, cl Setup.exe and it appears installation is OK but still no sound
Go to Device Manager, other devices, Multimedia Audio Controller still has yellow question mark, cl Properties, states the device is not formed correctly
(Code 1)
Cl reinstal driver, (got lost here), but you have to select device, sound, video and games, get list of firms one of which is SiS (1.0), cl SiS (1.0), SiS 7012 Audio Driver shows, detail site for driver D:/a12111c/a12111c/WinXP.
SiS 7012 for XP is installed. Just remembered, ignored MS warning about the driver, presume it is not digitally accepted.
Checked Device Manager, Mutimedia Audio Controller no longer listed but SiS 7012 is. Shut down and nearly hit the ceiling as the volume was set at full bore.
Had about 3 go's to reinstal driver before I got it right so am a bit hazy on the correct sequence.
Lost sound during a Win XP repair after installing SP2

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2004, 06:23 PM
So you now have sound?!

FrankS
01-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Having nearly hit the ceiling I am fairly sure that I have sound!!!!.

To supplement my for info, before starting backed up the Registry and personal files plus when file cleaning left the Recycle Bin untouched so that if neccessary could restore a file.

xxxFarrellxxx
10-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi,

Just a quick note to say a big thankyou to Frank S for detailing exactly how he overcame this problem...I HAVE SOUND TOO!! To clarify the bit he got lost on:

1. Cl reinstall driver
2. It will ask where it should go. Choose to look for it yourself in a specified location. The directory appears similar to that in Device Manager.
3. Choose Sounds, Videos and Games another screen appears asking to choose the make of the driver. Look for SIS but I had two. You can tell the difference as the actual drivers appear in a sub-menu when you cl on them. 4. Choose SIS 7012. The select where the file is coming from (your cd you made) and click through until you get to XP. Click OK and it will install itself.
5. Check Device Manager as instructed below just to check that the original Multimedia Audio Controller has been removed from the other devices list and that there is indeed the new SIS 7012 sub directory within the Sounds, Videos and Games.

Hopefully it should now be working, even without the need to restart (although I did anyhow).

Genius - Thanks again Frank! :D

ufubo
02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I had also that problem on my pc and i hit the ceiling just when I saw that post, now I'll try this...
But I think my Nero is misinstalled and I may not be able to burn a cd :-S

ufubo
02-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Yes, I tried that way but I have the driver located in "a12112d.zip" and it didn't worked:( now I'll burn another cd with the other one...

ufubo
03-10-2005, 12:24 AM
YEAAAHHHH !!!! FrankS, if you come to Turkey, you must find me, I will have surprises for you!!! I can hear, I can heaarrrr!!!!!

banditnector
04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Thankyou so much for your help i had the exact same problem and now my volume buttons arent greyed out the sound waves meter is moving so i know the computer is registering sound but for some reason sound is still not coming out of my speakers any suggestions left? im not muted speaker is plugged in nothing wrong in device manager now what else can i try

oded81a4e
24-03-2006, 03:11 AM
I also had the same situation described here. After re-installing WinXp it seemed that the SIS7012 driver would not get installed. It gave the same error number (-536870397). The SIS website identification utility identified that my audio driver should be 7012, and I think that a 7012 driver was the one that worked before. The motherboard has a clearly visible SIS650 chip on it, which also hinted that 7012 should work.

After hours of trials, I even had the 7012 driver tell me that it is successfully installed (and I had to fight to get there). But then it came up with a new type of problem: everytime I tried to play a sound file the driver would indicate an error such as that it couldn't find the file.

Finally it turned out that I was trying to install the wrong driver. My motherboard is annotated M810DLUv2.5 which is most likely a PC-Chips M810DLU board. The following page says which driver I should install:
http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m810dlu-75.asp

The PC-Chips discontinued products' drivers page offers the driver for direct download:
http://www.pcchipsusa.com/download-mainframe.asp

I think I installed the CMI9738 Codec , i.e.
http://www.pcchipsusa.com/sound/9738XPv021.ZIP

Was I happy to get this over with. Of-course I could have bought a new internal/external sound-card for 50 bucks or even less.

gabesz
14-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Hello,
I had the same situation, and thx for the answers, it helped me a lot!
In my situation it was much more easier: I only had to remove the unknown driver from the device manager (System/hardware/device manager) and every SiS 7012 from the registry and I could simply install it. At laaast :P