PDA

View Full Version : I've been ripped off.

JJJJJ
29-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Or at least I feel I have.
I bought a new HP pavilion on Friday. First thing I did was to pull out their cheap modem and install my external one. Then I attacked all the pre-installed rubbish
I then ran "Registry Mechanic" and it removed 1422 items. There's still a lot of garbage that will take a week to remove.
I decided the easiest way to clean it up was to re-format and re-install.
But if I do that their recovery sector of my hard drive will only put it all back.
I phoned HP and told them I needed a Windows disk. No show. They only supply the preinstalled version. If I remove that I have to buy a copy of windows.
Then I asked about installing a SATA disk. And why can't I find a power connection for it. "That's my problem"
Then I asked why they advertised "Supports SATA". No answer to that.
At present this heap of **** runs about as fast as a 386. The 40 gig hard drive is about half full of rubbish before I even start installing all my stuff.
I know what I'm going to do, but I shouldn't have to.
Jack

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Sadly Jack, Ive seen this before - And I agree its a sad state.

This is why so many people are now turning to building their own unique PC, and at the same time buying an OEM Liscence of Windows XP along with it.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Well thats true there is normally a partition or a recovery disk on brought PC's. Thats why I NEVER buy a system from a shop. I would rather make/build my own.

And they're right there is NO disk/CD.

Thats what the partition is for to reinstall Windows, if needed. And YES you will have to buy your own version of Windows, if u want to reinstall Windows yourself.

Even tho some systems may have SATA onboard, (even if you buy a SATA hdd), you still have to BUY the power /adaptor cable for it. You only get the SATA cable for the mobo, NOT both the power adapter and the data cable for the SATA.

I would have thought about it, before u purchased a system at a shop.

Of the consequences. If u decided to reinstall it all over again.

JJJJJ
29-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes I realise that.
I was just so fed up on Friday with the trouble I had,had with my other computer that I just went into the shop and had a quick scan of the specs. and brought it home. Stupid aren't I? (Don't answer that.)
I'll go into DSE and buy a power adapter for the SATA. If I'm lucky it will boot off this disk and all the stuff I had last week will be ready and waiting for me.
But with my luck I'll probably have to re-install it all.
Jack

Nodrog
29-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Why dont you use some of the consumer protection available.

The product as advertised must conform to the description.

Unfortunately, now that you have changed its format, you may be stuck.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/browse_vw.asp?content-set=pal_statutes

Try the link

CYaBro
29-11-2004, 11:28 AM
What's your address JJJJJ?

I'll send you a SATA power connector in the mail if you don't mind waiting a couple of days. :)

Email me at cyabro at gmail dot com if you don't want to post it here.

andy
29-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Yup, put it back how you found it and get a refund. If you want a PC with non-standard specs, build it from scratch - its the best way.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Umm if you want to reinstall XP on the SATA, then yup, you'll have to install XP from scratch. And make the SATA the bootdisk in BIOS.

I doubt things will work, if you're planning on copying files from the hdd that was in the system to the SATA. It'll most probably crash the system.

How big is the SATA hdd?? If more than 137 GB you may need to install SP1/SP2 after so XP (if thats what you're going to install) picks all of it up.

JJJJJ
29-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks CYuBRO. but my wife is up town now getting me a power connector.
The Sata disk is as it came out of my other computer. It has XP and SP2 installed. I am hoping (and praying) that this HP will pick it up and run.
The bios will have to sort it out itself. About the only adjustments that can be made in there are the date/time and setting password.
Jack

theotherone
29-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Jack, with all the fun you have been having recently I would suggest you pick up a bunch of pencils and a stack of notepads from the stationers you should save yourself a heap of cash although the upload/download time might be a bit longer.
commiserations,
Rob

Terry Porritt
29-11-2004, 12:19 PM
http://www.brienposey.com/kb/Moving_Windows_XP_to_new_hardware.asp

E|im
29-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I.have.the.solution.find.two.floppy.power.cables.g et.scissors.chop.them.in.half.wire.them.together.s tick.into.sata.drive.take.back.to.shop.or.to.reall y.piss.them.off.you.could.chop.some.pins.off.the.c pu.stick.it.back.in.and.pretend.that.nothing.happe ned.

Pete O\'Neil
29-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Your asking for all sorts of problems using a HDD with a windows installation from another PC on it. It can be done but the likelyhood of problems arising is quite high.

xtraka
29-11-2004, 01:22 PM
HP PCs don't come with disks, but they do have an option for u to make your own recovery disks - with a dvd writer - 1 disk, or cd-writer - 4 disks.
You can only do this once, but it's all still in the partition.

Terry Porritt
29-11-2004, 01:58 PM
If you are going to try migrating a HDD with XP+SP2 to another computer, using the method in the site I quoted above, then you do really need an XP install CD with SP2 slip streamed into it. Also it is best to uninstall any firewall and AV programs first.

metla
29-11-2004, 02:03 PM
......Should have bought a Dell.......

D. McG
29-11-2004, 04:47 PM
> And they're right there is NO disk/CD.

> Thats what the partition is for to reinstall Windows, if needed. And YES you will have to buy your own version of Windows, if u want to reinstall Windows yourself.

There's a small problem with that (although I'm probably stating the obvious) - how would someone restore Windows if their entire HDD crashed, losing the 'recovery' partition as well? Looks like they expect their users to simply buy a new computer when the drive fails, unless they're smart enough to create a disk image first.
(Abba's 'Money, money, money' tune springs to mind...)

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 05:07 PM
They would have to buy Windows XP or whatever if everything completely
crashed. Thats the downside to buying a system with XP or whatever on it.

Yup unless u backed it to cd or dvd or similar.

Altho, most of the HP's I've fixed I deleted what they had on their system, with a clean install. It still works fine, Thats if u have a CD handy.

beetle
29-11-2004, 05:09 PM
This comes from the man who absolutely loves Dells....:p :o Metla

Sorry cant help you JJJJJ,
Hind site is a wonderful thing and knowing what we know now, makes us think i wouldnt have done that if i d known the nightmare i made for myself,

Hope you can get things sorted.

is it too late to repack it up and take back for a refund..... as is where is?
after reinstall i mean?

when i hear of these sort of probs, i have memories of lemon running through the mind.......dont wish things like that on anyone.

luck

beetle

Graham L
29-11-2004, 05:12 PM
And this all started with a broken battery clip.

Should have stuck with the cellotape, Jack. :D

tweak\'e
29-11-2004, 05:15 PM
HP pc's used to come with a recovery partition AND recovery cd's......looks like they may have got an attack of the elcheapos.

no offence but everyone knows supermarket pc's are full of advertising bull and sales speak, nothing to unusuall. as far as all the HP crud programs...thats usually why the customers by the pc.

check your warranty you may have right of return so you can return it and get a real pc :)

fus1_n
29-11-2004, 05:20 PM
I feel sorry for you jjjjj. You should have built your own PC and got the team to help you choose the components. Really, its not that hard. I had a person ring me up to buy some RAM for a PC he built and he didn't know the difference between SD-RAM and DDR-RAM. No skills required. :D

you could try and sell it on tard-me.co.nz and use the cash to build your own custom PC.

What are the specs? and how much did it cost?

45South
29-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Get a m8 to burn you a copy of XP with sp2 slipstreamed & install with your product key

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Thats if he knows what the key is, and whether a copy of XP will actually install if it isnt OEM. With the same key. And whether it'll activate later for that matter.

45South
29-11-2004, 06:07 PM
>Thats if he knows what the key is, and whether a copy of XP will actually install if it isnt OEM. With the same key. And whether it'll activate later for that matter.

There will be a key/coa supplied with the system somewhere, either on the box or in documentation
If there isn't then he has an illegal installation of XP, which is extremely unlikely.
If he can't find the key, RockXP or any one of a dozen other utilities will supply the info.
I've done lot's of clean installs to HP/Dell machines with no probs.
To make life easier, just collect all the drivers before starting, although XP does a pretty good job of correctly detecting most hardware.
Anything XP doesn't find will be available for download at HP

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Thats true ...And yup XP usually picks up everything. I did one the other night. an HP. Was good it picked everything up and saved me trying to find any drivers for it!

metla
29-11-2004, 06:16 PM
I would hope that if this was done as a paid service that you went to the effort of getting real drivers and not just leaving it running on generic XP versions.

Baldy
29-11-2004, 06:20 PM
> I.have.the.solution.find.two.floppy.power.cables.g et.s
> issors.chop.them.in.half.wire.them.together.stick. into
> sata.drive.take.back.to.shop.or.to.really.piss.the m.of
> .you.could.chop.some.pins.off.the.cpu.stick.it.bac k.in
> and.pretend.that.nothing.happened.

You going dotty E|im

Blue_face
29-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I hate orginal brand pc's. And the only orginal pc I've ever brought was a laptop from compaq as there is no custom build laptop as far as I no, and the first thing I did when I got home was format c: and reinstall windows with my cd. I didnt even no whats in my laptop at the time, but im sure there is nothing but rubbish & Disgrace.

ferrite
29-11-2004, 08:02 PM
hi something else you might not realize if your mother board stuffs up.out of the warranty period that also means you have to buy a new op too.i wont go into the psu problems.take it back tell them they misled you.wich they clearly did

Exwesty
29-11-2004, 08:09 PM
An old Latin saying comes to mind...

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware

Thats my 2.25 cents worth ( 2c +GST )

linux_obo
29-11-2004, 08:13 PM
This is a really good argument for buying a local OEM manufacturer such as Millennium or Recycled Technoloy here in Hamilton, you get MORE bang for your Buck and you get industry standard components Such as MSI, Intel and AMD.

Always reccomend to customers to buy OEM or buy components and build your own. cost's less to :-D

E|im
29-11-2004, 08:14 PM
If I was a retailer I would be loving JJJJs custom very much. You would get to sell him the same thing at least 3 times.

Scouse
29-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Interesting chat on this post. For my two-cents I think it is wrongly titled. How could anyone who has been attending here for more than a couple of years walk in to a retail store and buy such a lemon. Not ripped of at all. Sort of self-inflicted.

JJJJJ
29-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Graham L, you never said a truer word.
Jack

Murray P
29-11-2004, 08:57 PM
So what you people are saying is, if you buy Windows along with your brand name PC and the installation files of said Windows is installed on the hard drive and, there is a fault with the PC you no longer have a Windows license or a right to have it replaced by the company that made it?

Whether in or out of warranty period for the hardware, this does not seem right. If out of warranty, it is tying a legitimately purchased software license to the life expectations of the hardware. Do they not give a COA with these packages?

Looks like, bull dust or an easy case to win ;)

drb1
30-11-2004, 02:11 AM
> ......Should have bought a Dell.......

Metla, reading through this this was my thinking untill of course you wrote it for me,

If one must buy a brand name desktop unit HP/Compaqu are on the top of the list of ones to avoid.

Says he looking at the 2.8g p4 laptop with the c label on it, thinking well the money was right for a toy.

D.

drb1
30-11-2004, 02:28 AM
>
> Whether in or out of warranty period for the
> hardware, this does not seem right. If out of
> warranty, it is tying a legitimately purchased
> software license to the life expectations of the
> hardware. Do they not give a COA with these packages?
>
>
> Looks like, bull dust or an easy case to win ;)

Not wrong there murray.

Depending on how you read the licence a MOBO bang can possibly be the end of an OEM.

But if everything else is still orig and the COA is there this is a worn argument.

No COA ???????????????

Recovery disk and partition is what you brought, weve talked about this not being the thing to do, nuff said.

You have a coa, if it is legit. there is no reason why you cannot format and install to the coa spec with that code and activate.

With whatever disk.

Strange my compaqu laptop, brought used, not very old has all its driver disks, and extra S/W disks. all in it little original compaqu cardboard box

3 compaqu recovery disks still sealed, and still sealed, a Compaqu copy of xp pro sp1.

Coloured red, with compaqu Writing all over it, not a windows logo in sight.

Have a REAL GOOD look in the box man.

D.

E|im
30-11-2004, 04:18 AM
> Then I asked about installing a SATA disk. And why can't I find a power connection for it.

Your new comp doesn't have a SATA power connector on the PSU? Just get one of the molex -> SATA power connector plugs from DSE.

Mercenary
30-11-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't quite understand what files you didn't like on your HP hard drive. Spyware/adware type of thing? Was the computer a "netpc" or extremely cheap version? In some instances I've seen those marketed with horrific adware, stuff that keeps a banner permanently on your screen etc. Anyways, while I feel your solution is a valid one another thing you might try is calling up Microsoft with your windows serial number (they gave you that at least no?) and explaining your situation to them, they may send you a disk if your copy is legitimate.

I can't fathom how the store can get away with selling a spyware infested PC with an illegitimate copy of windows. Before I built my computer I bought a gateway (maybe not an option in nz) and a dell and neither had any adware preloaded, and both came with a windows CD. PC shops are crooks, you may understand now my apprehension at bringing my computer to one for repairs; I'm not throwing those criminals any business if I don't have to, and you shouldn't either ;D

metla
30-11-2004, 09:32 AM
> I don't quite understand what files you didn't like
> on your HP hard drive. Spyware/adware type of thing?

Fire up a brand new HP comp and have a look in the startup,how many are there?...10?,20?,30?.....all HP branded crap that not only steals resources,but all report home (backweb doing not a thing apart from monitoring all internet traffic and reporting it back),Plus they are coded in such a way that they all need each other,Removing one or two can cause all sorts of crap,hell,some of these systems need a program running in the background to register the cd drive has been opened.

Now fire up a comp that only has a normal version of XP loaded...look in startup...OMG.....No entries.....111

Dolby Digital
30-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I have a IBM laptop with XP Pro. In the box was what looked like a container with an XP Pro cd. But it wasn't. It was a little Windows XP manual with cardboard in there to keep it flat. Now if your disk bites the big one, IBM will supply you with a XP cd at a price. Alternatively you can get another disk with XP loaded (if it is in warranty). When I spoke to IBM and I suggested that punters want the original cd's she said that not from where they sit. Customers lose the cd's etc etc and its a hassle; thats why we don't supply them.

Nighthawk
30-11-2004, 11:48 AM
u can borrow mi XP CD :P

nomad
30-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I complained right to the USA and they sent me a windows CD. :^O
My laptop had a hidden partition, when my HDD failed they courierd me a new HDD but they left windows out!! I rang and they said they will charge me for it and no, they won't reinstall the hidden partition for me.

They sent me the win98se and it has sat on the shelf for ages, I never installed that once but it felt good I actually got back something I paid for. I have been using my own retail copy of win2k from day one.

Just wondering how is it possible to make your own backup off a hidden partition??