PDA

View Full Version : UPS settings Windows XP

andrew93
29-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone

I've just installed a Liebert UPS onto a desktop PC running Windows XP while logged in as administrator. XP recognised the UPS ok when I hooked up the USB cable - the PC beeped when it recognised the new hardware plus I can see it in the device manager. However, the problem is that when I go into the control panel -> power options, the "UPS" tab has now disappeared and the power options look suspiciously like the ones you see on a laptop (power schemes, alarms, power meter etc. - the UPS shows up as batteries). Whilst I can play around with the "battery" settings I know there used to be a UPS tab / option and I think I might be missing something.

What I have tried so far :
1. quick searched Google - no luck
2. quick searched Press F1 - no luck
3. I went onto the Windows update site and downloaded a very small patch file (12k) and installed that, restarted PC - no difference.
4. Tried Windows help - no luck because it says "select the UPS tab"
5. I went into Windows computer management services and enabled the ups service (c:windows\system32\ups.exe), set it to automatic and tried to force it to start it but I get the error message "could not start the ups service on local computer, error 2481 : the ups service is not configured correctly". This site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt/network_management_error_codes.asp) was not much help on that error & there aren't any dependencies that aren't started.
6. No drivers on the manual and the documentation wasn't much help either.
7. Device manager reports that all is ok.
8. The support section on liebert.com was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

So my questions are :

How can I get the Windows UPS service to start given I'm getting the error 2481?
If I can't start the service, then is this an issue I should be worried about?

I might consider putting it to the test by turning off the plug at the wall and see what happens but will await your thoughts and experiences.

TIA, Andrew.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Did u see this??

Configuring Native USB Power Options in Windows 2000/XP

Step #1: Boot the PC into Windows 2000 or XP. Connect the USB cable from the UPS to the PC. The "New Hardware Found" screen will appear for about 5 seconds and then disappear.

Step #2: The HID drivers are preinstalled with both operating systems, but we can check the installation of the USB UPS by entering device manager.
Windows 2000 – Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager Button
Windows XP – Start > Control Panel> System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager Button

Once inside device manager, click the plus sign next to Batteries and also Human Interface Devices There should be a HID UPS Battery listing under Batteries and an American Power Conversion USB UPS listing under Human Interface Devices, both entries are necessary for the system to operate properly. If the HID UPS Battery entry is missing, verify that the UPS was made in the year 2000 or later. If the American Power Conversion USB UPS entry is missing, verify that the USB cable is connected direct to the computer and that the USB ports are enabled on the system.

Step #3: Enter the Power Options applet from within control panel. Notice that the UPS tab has been removed and replaced with an Alarms tab and a Power Meter tab. The USB UPS is recognized by the system as a battery and does not use or require the UPS service. The UPS service will be disabled upon installing a USB UPS.

Steps 4-8 are for use with the APC USB Power Configuration Wizard. Skip to Step 9 to manually configure
the Power Options.

Step #4: Once the USB UPS has been connected, it is now time to run the APC USB Power Configuration Wizard. This can be downloaded from APC’s website and is also on the CD packaged with all APC USB UPS’s. Insert the CD or run the downloaded executable. Close all applications and click OK to begin the configurator.

Step #5: Click “Next” to continue

Step #6: This is page 1 of a summary of the configuration changes that the wizard makes within the power options applet. Click Next to see page 2.

Step #7: This is page 2 of a summary of the configuration changes that the wizard makes within the power options applet. Click Next to continue.

Step #8: The configuration wizard has completed, the system must now be restarted.

Step #9: Once the system has rebooted, enter the Power Options applet to view or customize the configuration changes. The Power Scheme is now defaulted to APC USB UPS. The settings for the Power Scheme may be customized but it is recommended that the Hard Disks not be set to turn off when running on battery power.

Step #10: File and data save will only occur using Hibernate. The checkbox “Enable Hibernate Support” must be checked on the hibernate tab, for application data save to occur.

Step #11: The alarms tab is used to configure how the system will react to a power failure. The configuration wizard sets the low battery alarm to 60% and the critical battery alarm to 50%. The low battery alarm is configured for notification; the critical battery alarm is configured for notification and then Hibernation. Click Alarm Action under the Critical Battery Alarm section.

Step #12: The critical battery alarm actions are split into 3 sections. Notification can occur via an audible alarm or a popup message on the local machine. Power Level determines what will happen when the UPS reaches the alarm threshold, the configuration wizard selects hibernate as its default.

Step #13: If the system does not have hibernate support or the user does not wish to use hibernate, Power Off can be selected as an option. Note: Power Off does not provide application data save, this option would have to be used in conjunction with a user supplied command file to achieve application data save.

andrew93
29-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi, thanks for that. All the answers are there - where did you find the article?
Cheers, Andrew

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 10:25 AM
It was with a google search, BUT the site I thought I clicked on doesnt work now lol.