PDA

View Full Version : Setup network on laptop now can get into icons under control panel

Jacob4165
27-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I used the winxp network setup wizard to setup the network settings on a 600mhz winme laptop (network to a winxp machine via crossover cable). I restarted the laptop and everything appeared to be running fine ie I could access shared files on the xp machine from the laptop and vice versa.

Unfortunatlly when I attempted to change some settings I realised that trying to open any of the control pannel icons (except for printers and dial up networking) or going into the display properties by right clicking on the desktop resulted in the following error message

"Windows can not access the specified path or file, you may not have the appripriate permissions to access the item."

This wasn't happening before I setup the network, but now that none of the required control panel items are working I'm stumped

can anyone help me?
thanks -Jacob

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Put the ip addresses in manually if both want access to the net. dont use the wizard, and make sure both also have the same workgroup name.

Are you trying to change settings from the laptop pc on the XP PC? Thru the network?

Jacob4165
27-11-2004, 06:52 PM
The network is running fine.

I can't get into any of the control panel setting on the laptop when accessing them from the laptop also when I try to get into folder options i get the message "Is not a valid win32 application"

-Jacob

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Umm have u scanned for viruses/spyware recently?

i-gordon
27-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Are you using Spybot Search & Destroy

Jacob4165
01-12-2004, 12:21 AM
It turns out the problem was a missing "rundll32.exe" most probabaly due to a virus. Anyway I was forced to reload winme from the laptop's restore cd since I had no luck in rundll32 on the internet

-Jacob