PDA

View Full Version : Direct X 9.0c, Windows Update, Internet Explorer

Mercenary
27-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi all, after getting such effective help from you before I've decided to call upon your vast stores of computer knowledge once again.

I'm home for one of our silly yank holidays and using an old computer. I'm trying to install WoW on it which requires direct x 9.0c. Now when I try to install this (via any method, dling from site, using game disc, etc) it gives the message "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted." and thereafter fails to install. I read that this is due to some cryptographic error due to Microsoft's having added some additional totalitarian registration verification whathaveyou with 9.0c. The solutions I read were all generally of the form "Update to Service pack 2" or "use direct X eradicator to reduce to version 8.1 and then modify the setup file for direct x 9.0c replacing several key files with direct x 9.0 files, and install using that." Now to make further interesting my problem, this computer has a trash version of internet explorer that doesn't work for whatever reason, so I use mozilla. Windows Update, it would seem, is HYPERDEPENDENT on internet explorer.

Now I've tried a lot of different solutions to this and come up with nothing. I admit I haven't done as much work as I can but I'd like to know which of these 2 solutions (or an as yet unmentioned 3rd solution) will bring about the most precipitous resolution of my problems? If indeed it is the direct X eradicator solution, where can I get direct x 9.0 setup file, to switch out certain files with 9.0c (I already have 9.0c setup and direct X eradicator). If the solution is to install service pack 2, where can i get a working version other than windows update (I've downloaded the ones I can find but there arent many as Microsoft has worked tirelessly to lay waste to any and all rebel distributors of their precious service pack), or how can I repair internet explorer (I've tried updating to version 6.1 with no avail)?

This comp is using windows XP home edition. The internet explorer issues are of the form "Your current web settings prevent active X commands from running" which is patently false as I have all settings to their lowest possible security and privacy values and have under custom settings explicitly authorized the use of active X commands. Additionally, or perhaps as just a different symptom of the same problem, any secure websites (hotmail paypal etc) will not display and instead display page not found.

Thanks in advance.

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 09:41 AM
You can order SP2 online, or go to your nearest MS office, and ask for a copy. SP2 DOES include DX 9.0c.

You could try going to tools/internet options/advanced in IE and restore defaults. Yup, you're right there Windowsupdate DOES depend on Internet Explorer.

Another thing u can try, is go to tools/internet tools/security and go to each option and set each option to default level again. Altho, I think SP2 DOESN'T include Java, SP1 DOES. The original XP DOESN'T include Java either.

I would also check for spyware, and other nasties as welll.

george12
27-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Service Pack 2 can be downloaded here (ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/drivers/MS_service_packs/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe), from the JetstreamGames server. This may only be viable if you have a fastish (128K or higher) connection, or are not in any hurry.

Otherwise, as has been said, find a local shop that has the CDs, or ask a friend who has it to burn the file to CD for you.

HTH - Cheers George

Mercenary
27-11-2004, 11:14 AM
The jetstreamgames server timed out, but even if it hadnt ive downloaded sp2 from other sites before and it has some error while trying to install so I'm not sure that would work in any event. I'd like more to get IE working. The solution you suggested changed nothing, I reset to default values and got the same message. Isn't there a repair utility for IE or something?

Thanks.

Prescott
27-11-2004, 11:20 AM
> The jetstreamgames server timed out

your based in the USA or not? apparently jetstreamgames server is only for NZ users, otherwise it times out or something, ive read it somewhere............

Murray P
27-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, find IE and click on Change or Remove (something like that) it should give you the option to Repair/roll back to an earlier version. From there you should be able to laod an updated version.

For your other updates, use the MS downloads page not Windows Update, look for the Administrators/Developers downloads for a network install where you can download the updates as complete files rather than online updates.

Another possibility is that MS VM (Vertual Machine, MS's illegal [sic] version of Java) is corrupted or damaged. Look for an MS VM SDK download.

Mercenary
27-11-2004, 02:59 PM
The system could not find a file specified, installation has failed. (for trying the network admin install version of SP2, the only SP2 I could find at file center). I've tried all that stuff Murray nothing worked. IE was still bugged in earlier versions and when I reinstall 6.0 or 6.01 it still doesn't work.

I'm assuming that couldn't find a file specified means that something on my end is wrong rather than the download packet being incomplete.

The MS VM SDK I have not considered yet, I'll look into that, thanks.