PDA

View Full Version : Changing hard drives

JJJJJ
27-11-2004, 07:35 AM
I have just got a cheap and nasty Pavillion with P4 2.8 HDD.
My plan was to remove the IDE disk and replace it with a fully loaded SATA disk.
Unfortunately I can not find a power cable with a fitting that will match the SATA. (A Barracuda)
Is it possible to buy another IDE hard disk and then transfer everything from the SATA to it?
I would then install it as my primary drive. It has win XP installed plus numerous other programs.
Can it be done. I would have to find someone to do it for me as I have nothing I can run the sata from.

If anyone wants a good laugh. I installed a new M/B in my P4 machine and got it running OK. After two days use I listened to people who insisted that I should have renewed the thermal paste on the heat sink.So I trotted off to DSE and bought a tube. Removed the heatsink and fan and put about half the tube on top of the CPU. Reinstalled the sink and pressed the start button. I swear the computer just laughed at me!!!!
Removed the sink and then couldn't get the cpu out. Eventualy I removed with the aid of a screwdriver. The cpu and m/b socket were covered with the paste.
After turning the air blue and blameing everybody, except myself I ordered a new M/B and CPU.
They arrived the next morning. I had never seen a CPU in its packaging before and couldn't get it out. So I undid it with a large pair of scissors. Result I removed half a dozen pins from the CPU.
So I decided to try and clean off the old one. Gave it a good clean with petrol and a soft tooth brush and then let it dry. Put it in the comp. Result a burnt out M/B.
So I gave up and went up to Harvey Norman and the best I could buy was the Pavilion. Decided it would do until I decided what to buy next.
But it's slow , slow. slow.
I'm thinking of taking it back this morning and doing a swap for a P4 3.2. About $1200 dearer.
Alright I know I'm stupid so there's no need to tell me.
Jack

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Umm well you can buy sata power adaptors from places like Dick Smith, or any computer shop. It attaches to a spare power connector then to the SATA power. I think it'll be better, if u reinstall XP on the SATA, if u get one.

As it may crash the system, if u transfer from the IDE to the SATA, XP will KNOW the hdd isnt the same. Unless u do a repair install thing to fix it.

Or just get the SATA power adaptor and if the SATA is onboard the mobo, add it as a master . On the system now.

If the P4 CPU's thermal pad hasnt worn out, it doesnt need thermal paste.

Lohsing
27-11-2004, 10:06 AM
> If anyone wants a good laugh. I installed a new M/B
> in my P4 machine and got it running OK. After two
> days use I listened to people who insisted that I
> should have renewed the thermal paste on the heat
> sink.So I trotted off to DSE and bought a tube.
> Removed the heatsink and fan and put about half the
> tube on top of the CPU. Reinstalled the sink and
> pressed the start button. I swear the computer just
> laughed at me!!!!
> Removed the sink and then couldn't get the cpu out.
> Eventualy I removed with the aid of a screwdriver.
> The cpu and m/b socket were covered with the paste.
> After turning the air blue and blameing everybody,
> except myself I ordered a new M/B and CPU.
> They arrived the next morning. I had never seen a CPU
> in its packaging before and couldn't get it out. So I
> undid it with a large pair of scissors. Result I
> removed half a dozen pins from the CPU.
> So I decided to try and clean off the old one. Gave
> it a good clean with petrol and a soft tooth brush
> and then let it dry. Put it in the comp. Result a
> burnt out M/B.

Please tell me that's not true...

Lo.

theotherone
27-11-2004, 10:23 AM
James,
why don't you just take your computer to someone and pay them to do what you want done? I am sure it would be cheaper for you.
You have chutzpa though,I'll give you that, I wouldn't admit to that level of incompetence in an open forum.
Commiserations,
Rob

E|im
27-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Gee that was an expensive experience Jack :O lmao.

First problem I can see, you used too much thermal paste. It's only supposed to be less than a mm thick to just bridge the small and microscopic gaps between the core and the heatsink ridges. Plenty of info about this on the web.

Next thing I can see you used Petrol! of all things to clean up the mess. Petrol leaves a residue which will likely ruin the components. You should have used Isopropyl alcohol (close to 100% alcohol) to clean it.

Please read the manuals. :^O

george12
27-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I feel REALLY sorry for you Jack. But you sound just slightly loaded, that you just order more PC's / Components like that...

Poor Jack...

Cheers George

Growly
27-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Let me be the first to comfort you - you're not the only one who chopped off CPU pins and burned the motherboard, but you're probably the only one who kept at it after ruining to systems...

I for one just killed a pc, three harddrives and a cd rom drive, and I don't know how. At present I'm blaming the crappy Quay Computers thing (it's 5 years old)...

Murray P
27-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Well not so long ago somebody posted the results of their bad day, 4 machines dead, IIRC, so you've got a little way to go to match that Jack.
There's also an upside to this tale, they wern't AMD boards or chips you were frying ;).

I'm also a little surprised that a modern board didn't just shut down before things got out of hand, although these things can happen in a nano blink, that second board could still be ok. How have you confirmed that the boards are deceased, does the power supply have a shut down feature (RTFM's)?

Does this Presario have a SATA controller on board or have you popped in an add in SATA interface card, I would have thought such a thing would come with power adapter cables? Sounds a bit fishy to me, so don't fry any to go with your chips now (sorry couldn't resist).

JJJJJ
27-11-2004, 03:08 PM
That's what I like about this forum. One person says thermal pads are no good. I take him at his word. Now someone says they are all I need.
Someone else says use thermal paste. BUT no one says how much. At least I'm learning. Maybe.

My current hard disk has two cables. One is the wide data cable and the other is a thin one with a four pin connector. It doesn't seem to me to look like a power cable, but I can't see any other. I haven't had the hard disk right out, but there's certainly no othe cable to the end of the disk.

I want to use the Sata disk to save me a couple of days of boredom installing everything again. I am told that XP will recognise the new disk and sort everything out.

My current disk has windows preloaded and the recovery files is a separate partition. No windows on CD.
I'm a bit dubious about deleting it and re-formatting. My Windows CD has now been installed in four PC's and I don't know if Microsoft will authorise another. Same applies to MS Office.
Jack.

E|im
27-11-2004, 03:22 PM
> That's what I like about this forum. One person says thermal pads are no good. I take him at his word. Now someone says they are all I need. Someone else says use thermal paste. BUT no one says how much.

Well why would you go off and buy some cheap DSE thermal paste? It's probably no better than the thermal pad. You should have gotten some Artic Silver 5 otherwise there was no point. Then you should read up on how to apply it (http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm).

Oh and chopping pins off a CPU, lmao! :^O

theotherone
27-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I recall seeing a post in an earlier thread (I thought it was one of yours JJ) on the subject of Thermal paste and it said just to use the bare minimum, and I think the figure 1mm was used. This was early on in the saga of your motherboard JJJJ. Perhaps you should review the earlier threads you have started. I tracked down this one but I am sure that someone mentioned "1mm" in a thread somewhere, and "just a smear on each surface"

"A couple of things...

Thermal grease (or whatever it is called) to go between your CPU and fan - you'll probably need some.

If running XP then it should detect your change, but might cause problems. If earlier than XP you'll probably need a reformat/reinstall. If you had to activate XP you might be asked to reactivate it (depends on other hardware changes you may have made in the past I believe).

One question - why are you changing your board? Is the new one that much better? Or did you just want the LAN? Might have been cheaper just to buy a NIC?

Mike."

JJJJJ
27-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Elim. Actually I did have Artic silver. And I worked on the theory "The more the merrier".
I hope my wife laughs as loud as you when she finds out what I've spent on my computer this week.
Jack

godfather
27-11-2004, 03:41 PM
The thermal past is slightly better than the pad, but if there is no overheating the difference is of little consequence.

The paste is conductive to electricity as well as heat. Thats why only the minimum is neaded.

As much as can be held on a cotton bud is enough to do a couple of CPU's, all that is needed is a molecular thermal bond.

1 mm is excessive, but as long as it does not squeeze out and cover anthing apart from the actual CPU die its probably OK. Too much does not make it bette.

Early types of thermal paste (Beryllium Oxide based) were highly toxic. Eat your sandwich after using it and not thoroughly washing your hands, and you would not be worrying about the CPU temperature any more. Later stuff is hopefully better.

You may need to ring MS if your products do not activate, as you will need to reload Windows for any hope of stability.

bk T
28-11-2004, 11:40 AM
> ... My Windows CD has now been installed
> in four PC's and I don't know if Microsoft will
> authorise another. Same applies to MS Office.
> Jack.

Is it Windows XP? How did you activate your XP on all the 4 pcs? Bill Gates allowed you to do so?

godfather
28-11-2004, 12:00 PM
> Is it Windows XP? How did you activate your XP on
> all the 4 pcs? Bill Gates allowed you to do so?

Activation codes apparently get "reset" in the MS database after about ~ 4 months. As long as you do not try and activate again within that time on new hardware, you can often get away without ringing Microsoft and explaining.

You still cannot use it on more than one PC, or Windows updates will tell on you.

JJJJJ
28-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Quite correct Godfather.
And for the benefit of anyone else. It has never been installed on more than one machine at the same time.
It's just that I get through computers at a fairly fast rate.
If only I could make myself keep from fiddling with them.
Jack

Poppa John
28-11-2004, 07:14 PM
JJJJJ......... "If onlyI could make myself keep from fiddling with them"
I know how you feel. Fortunately I have Maryann to keep me under control. BUT, she is in Christchurch for a week, the temptation is killing me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ :D

E|im
28-11-2004, 08:01 PM
> I know how you feel. Fortunately I have Maryann to keep me under control. BUT, she is in Christchurch for a week, the temptation is killing me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just.pull.heat.sink.off.take.out.cpu.rub.cpu.on.ca rpet.get.scissors.chop.off.bent.pins.re.insert.int o.motherboard.turn.on.power.don't.forget.fire.exti nguisher.

Poppa John
28-11-2004, 08:14 PM
EJim... You are EVIL do you know that!! PJ :D :D