PDA

View Full Version : A Better Computer Search Facility?

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Is there a better Search than what MS offers?

I have Ava Find, and it is terrific for finding file names - it will display the results instantaneoulsy, as you type in the name to be searched. However, it will not search within the files themselves. Ava Find is a freebie and can be downloaded from:

http://www.download.com/Ava-Find/3000-2248_4-10201203.html?tag=lst-0-1

Is there a freebie or shareware / payware that will search QUICKLY within files , including PDF and other formats? I seem to recall that Yahoo or ?? is developing a search engine that can be used on local drives.

Thanks

Murray P
26-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Google has a search that will search within files, I think MS are also working on the same thing for their new search engine. There has been a bit of talk about the info sent back to Google (I guess the same would apply to MS) and the possibility it could be used for purposes that you would not approve of or could be cracked.

Personaly I would be enclined to wait until they are well established and the ground rules set before I would let either near my hard drive and data. As for Yahoo! they would be the last ones I would consider safe going by the amount of spam I get generated from Yahoo Groups.

A resident stand alone programme is best IMO.

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanhks Murray. A stand alone search facility is the way to go. Maybe someone on PF1 will know of a good one.

>spam I get generated from Yahoo Groups.

Really? I belong to 7 Yahoo Groups, and have done so for yonks, and have zero spam.

Murray P
26-11-2004, 09:40 AM
> >spam I get generated from Yahoo Groups.
>
> Really? I belong to 7 Yahoo Groups, and have done so
> for yonks, and have zero spam.

I'm assuming it's because of the Yahoo Group I belong to as about the only account I get spam on is via the one that I receive the group messages on and I hardly ever got spam before belonging. Another possibilty is, that one of the group members got infected or posted all the groups addy's somewhere or the fact that that addy is listed, on a supposedly secure, website. But I believe the spam came before the listing.

I've come across a couple of search features that your looking for, but can't remember the names of them, sorry.

Thomas
26-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks for that Steve,found it very good.

You must be from Wellington from your description;)

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 03:30 PM
> You must be from Wellington from your description

Hey hey - the sun is shining over here in the Wairarapa ! :^O

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Had to Google Swannanoa to find where you are located. :^O

My guess is that in your spare time you stomp on grapes to make wine, right? Looks like a primo spot and might be far enuff away from Chch to get clean air in the winter....

Thomas
26-11-2004, 04:16 PM
I used to stomp grapes,now seen the light.Waipara is the place for that sort of activty,that just up the road.
Have you met my mate Niel Hayes from your side of the hill?

Graham L
26-11-2004, 04:25 PM
To have a fast search (especially when the search is inside PDF and other compressed files) you have to create the index files before you can do the search. The index files can be enormous. You have to open up the compressed files to see what's in them ...

People turn off the MS indexing programme because it's using significant resources all the time. ;-)

Google's index files must be impressive.:D

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Thomas - no, have not met Niel.

Graham:

>People turn off the MS indexing programme

Yes, I recall reading about this in PCWorld. :)
But how can this indexing be turned back on? I have plenty of resources, with a gig of RAM, etc. So thought I would give it a go and see what happens.

And if I do a complete index, then turn the auto index off, I assume that MS searches on my local drives will be faster, right?

Graham L
26-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Except that it has to be running all the time. Files change, and the index file has to be kept up to date.

Murray P
26-11-2004, 05:21 PM
> Except that it has to be running all the time. Files
> change, and the index file has to be kept up to date.

Which is what makes it a glutton for your PC's resourses and not worth it (on the average desktop machine/use) unless your going to be using it's capabilties frequently. Having it sitting on another machine would help though, would it not? Now what do you call those things.

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 06:22 PM
So how do I turn the indexing on?

I had a look in Control Panel and Search Companion, even hit the F1 key :) but nothing...

Murray P
26-11-2004, 06:31 PM
If Fast Find/Find Fast is not installed, you'll have to install it off the Windows CD. If indexing is merely disabled you can re-enable it in the Control Panel > Computer Management > Services

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 06:33 PM
> Fast Find/Find Fast

OK, will dig around for the XP CD and have a look for it. Thanks.

mikebartnz
26-11-2004, 11:44 PM
WindowsGrep at WindowsGrep (http://www.wingrep.com)

mikebartnz
26-11-2004, 11:47 PM
>Fast Find/Find Fast
Comes with Office I believe.

metla
26-11-2004, 11:50 PM
It does indeed and is a big steaming pile of dung.

The question i have to ask.....Why doesn't everyone just remember where everything is?

Rather then do a search,just open up its directory and...whoomp,There it is!!!

mikebartnz
27-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I kill Find Fast and the Indexer on all PC's I handle. For an ordinary file search I will use PowerDesk5's File Finder and Windows Grep to search for text.

Murray P
27-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Find Fast with Office!! Your absolutely right, my bad.

Yep, I kill it and shut down the indexing service along with OSA the Office startup app. All gluttons.

Thomas
27-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Metla always puts things so eloquently;)

Steve_L
27-11-2004, 08:29 AM
> Metla always puts things so eloquently

Metla, tell us the truth: you ARE a consultant to President Bush, right?

:^O :^O :^O :^O :^O :^O

metla
27-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Head speech writer.

Which may account for the slight mess......

Steve_L
27-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Have downloaded and tried Windows Grep, and it works fine.

Here is another one, as good if not better than Grep:

http://www.xteq.com/products/
Xteq X-Find is a great program to find what you are looking for. Simply select where and what it should search and press "Go"; that's all you need to do. You can even specify a text that it should find inside the files. After the requested files have been found, select one and X-Find will display it in the same window (no extra program is started). X-Find is also able to highlight the searched text when viewing the file.