PDA

View Full Version : Linux - Where does Kaddress hide its files? and other similar questions

personthingy
26-11-2004, 08:09 AM
I have thrown my hands up in the air with frustration at the incompleteness of SuSE9.1 personal edition. I found the lights on, but no-one home with too many of its basic features. I have now migrated to Mandrake 10.0 community download.

Mandrake gets a much higher score with the Personthingy Software Review Department.

Now im having a spot of problem with the change over, in that i have no idea where to find certain files that id like to move from my old /home directory to my new /home directory. I dont even know what they are called which doesnt help. However i can describe thier function. Required are:

The file(s) that are the Kaddress book entries

The file(s) that has the account info for Kmail (identity, server/log-in info etc)
----------------------------this ones not as important, but may be handy for later use, and for just knowing how it works ;-)

The file(s) containing the bookmarks that Konqueror uses

Everything else is probably easyer to set up fresh, and possably cleaner to do so.

O yeah... Does anyone know how to get back the little up arrow that lived at the bottom of the scroll bar above the down arrow? I thought that was really useful once i got used to it, but now its gone!

:-)
Chris

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2004, 11:22 AM
I would be inclined to move your entire /home/personthingy folder across....

It's probably in ~/.kde - Remember that linux hides files/folders prefixed with a period!

personthingy
26-11-2004, 01:38 PM
> I would be inclined to move your entire
> /home/personthingy folder across....
>
> It's probably in ~/.kde - Remember that linux hides
> files/folders prefixed with a period!

I tried that. Allthough it does sound like a good idea, it wasnt. :-(
It would appear that SuSE 9.1 produced some files that mandrake 10.0 isnt at all fond of. The were many errors when i tried simply using the original /home/personthingy file, so i took the approach of just copying the bits that were usefull.

I spose i could find out where the bits im after live by trial and error, gradually moving bits out of ~/old personthingy and seeing what new errors and missing bits are created.

And yes, i am aware of the .hidden file concept. Its such and improvement that the new Kmail uses .Mail as its message stash rather than Mail

Nice touch, i wonder why it took so long for someone to think of that????

:-)
Chris