PDA

View Full Version : HP DVD Movie Writer

k8smum
25-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi all. Amongst all the pre-Christmas junkmail we received over the last day or two was a Harvey Norman advertiser with an HP DVD movie writer in it, at about $500-odd. I have since discovered that Ascent Technology sell the same thing for about $100 less, but I would like to know if anyone has seen output from a dvd writer like this. What I want to know is will it take data from a digicam and create good quality DVDs from it? I recall the blurb mentioned it would, but I am wondering if someone on this forum has any experience of one, and could it be a good investment (Christmas present)? Thanks.

Spacemannz
25-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Any dvd writer will do movies / photos (if its photos you're talking about with a digicam or is that a digital video cam) for videos??

I wouldnt spend $400-500 on one though.

If you're talking about a digital video cam most SHOULD come with software, so you can connect the cam to it (If USB, it might not be as good as a firewire video cam). And it will capture video, and then u can edit / burn it to dvd.

metla
25-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I would imagine its a stand alone dvd writer thats connected to the tv,fat chance of loading software on that baby.....

Pete O\'Neil
25-11-2004, 04:25 PM
The DVD movie will only be as good as the footage/image you download from the camera. The DVD writer doesnt magically make it super top qaulity.

If your using an older analogy handy cam dont expect the quality to be much better than VHS, if youve got one of the newer digital camcorders that can connect to the PC via USB or Firewire then youve got a much better chance of getting a higher quality footage/image.

As spacemanz has mentioned any PC DVD writer will be able to take a video and burn it to a DVD so that it can be viewed in a DVD player. For $500 i get the feeling it may not be a PC dvd writer, but some kind of standalone dvd writer. A good qaulity PC DVD writer can be found for around the $200, so keep that in mind. At the end of the day DVD's are only a storage medium whether it be for music, video or data.

Spacemannz
25-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Looks like theres the DC3000 and 4000 (might be wrong).

These look like USB DVD burners.

Altho they might be a bit slow, if u havent got USB 2 onboard.

And by looking at one review on it someone tried the 3000 on 3 pcs 2k/xp, worked once then never worked again lol. HP said to reinstall xp and get another burner. They did. It died again. Sounds like that model is not a good idea. Might be the same for the 4000.

k8smum
25-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Found some more info @ Ascent's site (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=334745). Does it look like rubbish? It's too technical for me...

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2004, 04:58 PM
If you havent got USB2.0, then you wont even be able to burn at 1x. USB1.1 simply cant push the data through fast enough.

You could always pick up a USB2.0 PCI Card for about $30ish.

Try qmb.co.nz for some good burners. Since a Firmware upgrade, my Optorite DD0201 has been brilliant. Ive just got my hands on a Samsung Dual-Layered writer but the quality of the burns isnt the best. Admittedly its better than that of the Optorite before its firmware upgrade so it looks like I'll just do that.

You can pick up External 5.25" Drive Caddies for approx $50 at supercheappc.biz IIRC - Its at Pitt Street in Auckland CBD.

Check out Pricespy.co.nz for a local supplier if you're out of auckland

Cheers

Chill.

Murray P
25-11-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't think the HP's have the best rep in the burner business, they're rebadged somethings.

I've just boaught an NEC ND 3500 16x, internal dual layer burner. You can get OEM ones for $179. Check out DVD reviews and comaparisons for and idea of the brands to avoid. As stated above, you shouldn't be paying more than $200 for a good burner although, external ones are more expensive.