PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply

noone
25-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi , im looking for a new power supply. My old one may not beable to cope with the new stuff that i am getting so to keep on thw safe one i am planning to buy a new one . My budget is $170 Max and i am looking for something over 450 W ( and a good brand , not a cheap crap , die the day after you got it one ) , I have a AMD system with the usual ATX 12 V and ATX ( 20 Pin ). Any suggestions

Thanks

lagbort
25-11-2004, 03:47 PM
If i was you, I would stretch to ~$175 and get a 430w enermax noisetaker, i know its not 450w, but if it isnt powerful enough (and trust me, its damn powerful) then you have too much stuff in your computer :p

Just dont forget when you go PSU searching to look at the amp rails as well as the wattage,

noone
25-11-2004, 04:12 PM
i am looking at this one

SILENT PUREPOWER SERIES SERIESTT-480APD W0020RAC
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001920.htm

yet it doesnt say if it works on Amd systems , does it ? , and if yes is it any good ( $167 )

Thanks

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
25-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Can you list your specification? I honestly don't think you need 450W!

Pete O\'Neil
25-11-2004, 04:16 PM
The Enermex that SY reckonmended will spank the ass off a any Thermaltake. If you want the best PSU for your money buy the Enermex, if you want something with bigger numbers but poorer performance buy the Thermaltake.

Pete O\'Neil
25-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Opps sorry reckonmended by lagbort

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
25-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I have heard that many of the cheap power supplies, although may list big numbers, do not remain 'stable' on it. That is - they may say 400W, but really only remain [i]stable at 300W, simply having 400W as the maximum output.

I've bought one with automatic temperature control on the fans in the power supply itself. I'll let you know how I get on, should get it tomorrow.

noone
25-11-2004, 04:33 PM
my specs

Amd Xp 2800 , overclocked @ 200 FSB to 2500 MHz
GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro V2.0 mobo
1024 Megs ddr 400 ram in duel channel ( 2 * 512 Megs )
Ati Radeon 9600 128 meg
80 Gig Hdd
Dvd Rom ( thinking about getting duel layer Dvd rw )
Leadtek Winfast DV 2000 tv capture

Yea there are my specs yet i am going to be upgrading so i will want some growth room.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~ - what brand / model did you buy

Pete O\'Neil
25-11-2004, 04:36 PM
How much voltage did you give that 2800+? And is it properly stable? (e.g Prime95 stable?)

Seriously dude if your going to spend that much money on a PSU get the Enermex Noisetaker, if you buy anything else your a fool.

noone
25-11-2004, 04:40 PM
i just started to Oc the cpu and am conducting the tests now ( its a barton so its only 2100 to start of with ). Is the the psu everyones talking about

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=334491

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
25-11-2004, 04:58 PM
I bought a CRS 400W PSU. These retail for about $90-100 and aren't the most readily available. I know PB Tech have them though.

Personally speaking, I've used them before, friends have too... and we have not seen one fail. So I've got another one for my new PC.

It's got manual as well as automatic temperature control on the speedss of the fan

Nighthawk
25-11-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm buying a new PSU next week hopefully (about $100 - $150 max)

i've annoyed people on PF1 numerous times about it. they all seemed to agree that enermax or antec are the best and most reliable (and better than cheap ones with 'higher W ratings')

What PSU do you guys think would be ideal for:

ASUS A7V600 VIA KT600
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Oc'ed @ 3200+ (No extra voltage used)
40GB HD 7200rpm
Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP
Onboard SoundMAX audio
2x 512mb (DDR 333 oc'ed 400) & DDR 400
2 Case fans, No PCI cards xcept mayb 56k Modem
Some "Yet-to-get" Oc'ing CPU Fan

JimboJones
25-11-2004, 08:20 PM
you should have 2 hdd nighthawk. its suppose to make pc faster but im not sure how it works. Im sure other pf1 here can explain

noone
25-11-2004, 08:44 PM
i would say to get the same as what i am going to get ( see above ) , i have looked at the stats and i must say now i see why people like them - the bit i like the most is how the psu fans stay on for a few minutes after the computer has been turned off

noone
25-11-2004, 08:46 PM
whats the difference between the

info Enermax SFMA425 420watt Noisetaker, Speed Adjustable fans, SATA connector

and the

info Enermax SFMA425 430watt Coolergiant, Speed Adjustable fans, SATA connector

except for the 10w

Nighthawk
25-11-2004, 09:20 PM
You should get a new computer JimboJones, as your harddrive is worn out :P

Nighthawk
25-11-2004, 09:22 PM
i duno.....maybe the extra 10W? :P

noone
25-11-2004, 09:45 PM
i thought that to but the price difference for 10 W ( $20 )

Raikyn
25-11-2004, 10:09 PM
I went from a 500W Hyena to a 480W Enermax Coolergiant.

Good decision methinks B-)

Nighthawk
26-11-2004, 09:46 AM
yup id say so
i hope to upgrade from a Hyena 300W to Enermax 420W

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm also looking for a new psu as yesterday I put in a new 9800 pro vid card, and dv2000 tuner. My current is only 200w and the recommended is at least 300w.
Is it better to get the max wattage? (to a limit of course)
Does it make anything faster some how? Currently my new stuff seems to be worse than the old...eg...gone from geforce4 mx440 to radeon 9800pro (seems no better yet :-( ). Upgraded ram from 512 to 1gb. (Cant feel it!)
Is psu installation easily done?
Are there external ones and are they ok?

P4 2.4ghz
1gb ddr ram
xp home
Gecube 9800pro vid card

Cheers!

george12
26-11-2004, 02:14 PM
> 9800 pro vid card, and dv2000 tuner. My current is only 200w

Is there black smoke coming out of the PSU? Does the hard drive have trouble spinning up?

Seriously man, all that on a 200W is scary. Having said that:

Yeah yeah, go and spend $150 on a new PSU. I buy a Leaf 400W power supply, for $27 wholesale (sell it for $59). It has never had any problems powering a system, and in the years I have used them, not one has ever failed in any way.

It produces nearly double the current of the ICute one that came with my case. The only downside of it is I find it slightly noisier than some others. Only noticable in an otherwise quiet PC though.

Cheers George

noone
26-11-2004, 02:18 PM
i just went and bought meself a EG425P-VE SFMA, Dual Fan, 420W ATX PSU ( Enermax ) , and even though it may be a bit more expensive i think that you can be sure that you got a good psu ( duel 12v rail etx ). How can you only have 200 W , ? , man i dont think the computer will even start with that one

Nighthawk
26-11-2004, 02:20 PM
>>My current is only 200w and the recommended is at least 300w

Just a reminder - current is measured in amps :P
lol i know what u mean, 200W??????? thats crazy

noone
26-11-2004, 02:23 PM
i think he was referring to his current psu

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Hmmm, might have to have a look when I get home again. See what the full details say...

metla
26-11-2004, 02:24 PM
> I'm also looking for a new psu as yesterday I put in
> a new 9800 pro vid card, and dv2000 tuner. My current
> is only 200w and the recommended is at least 300w.
> Is it better to get the max wattage? (to a limit of
> course)
> Does it make anything faster some how? Currently my
> new stuff seems to be worse than the old...eg...gone
> from geforce4 mx440 to radeon 9800pro (seems no
> better yet :-( ). Upgraded ram from 512 to 1gb.
> (Cant feel it!)
> Is psu installation easily done?
> Are there external ones and are they ok?

whoa...You doubled your ram and quadrupled your video and can't see any difference?

What are u using your comp for?.........DOS games?

Did you clean out the old drivers properly?...and raise the level of detail and resoultion to make use of all that grunt (i had someone in the other day stating the card they bought (elsewhere i might add) was no better then the onboard it replaced.....Setting the resolution in game was a foriegn concept to him,and whomever sold it to him as well)

As to your PSU,the components will be thrashingf it to the edge of its life,expect it to die very soon,hopefully it won't kill any of your gear when it does.

And no,there are no external PSU's,They have to reside in your case to suck out the evil spirits....uh....hot air.

Are they easy to replace?

Its possible to do it while blind drunk,blindfolded and strapped to the hood of a speeding car.....

george12
26-11-2004, 02:24 PM
For the sake of interest, could you tell us what the current ratings are - that is current (measured in Amps).

Cheers George

Pete O\'Neil
26-11-2004, 02:47 PM
All of you people need to go do some research about PSU's (with the exception of Metla) theres far more to a PSU than the wattage. You need to take into account the quality and the current on each of the rails. Also things like the number of fans and how noisy they are can be important to some people. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Mcpisik if i was you i wouldnt turn that PC on again untill i got a decent PSU, any 200w PSU regardless of brand would struggle, if not dies trying to power your PC. Your risking all your hardware by using that PSU. (That is unless its a shuttle PSU used in their SFF). I would reckonmend a 380w good brand PSU for your system, it will give you a lil head room to add more at a later date aswell.

George your continual pimping of your own sub standard services and parts is getting annoying. Your PSU may have served you well but from what ive seen you run cellery with intergrated graphics not exactly a demanding system. Such a PSU would not be suitable as the original poster has a higher spec system, they also have a much higher budget so why not fully ultilize the budget to get the best possible.

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Pete/Metla, as usual, some quality input.
Somewhere in there was a comment on 'did i change the settings to make the most of all the extras' Yep, sure did. They were all running pretty good already considering it was using a mx440 card.
Have just confirmed from Compaq that it's definately a 200w psu. Doh.!
What I'm thinking is, a new case with a psu built in, as my original case has a pretty small space to fit in a larger psu. Wouldn't mind a fancy gamers case while I'm at it. Any objections/ guides greatly appreciated. ( I admit I have no idea about the psu part, so feel free to rub it in!)
My PC
Compaq Presario 6240An
Xp home sp2
now 1gb ram
9800pro vid card

Pete O\'Neil
26-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Its highly unlikely a PSU would fit in the Compaq case, the PSU's they use are often propriety and any upgrade needs to be brought from Compaq. Buying a new case should mean you can use a off the shelf PSU but you'll need to check that the mobo used in your "comcrap" will be able to be mounted in the new case. You'll also need to make sure you mobo uses the standard 20pin ATX header.

All up its a pain in the ass upgrading PC built by the big name assemblers like Compaq, IBM, HP etc. You'll either have a complete mission buying a new PSU and case or it'll be a peice of cake. Irrelivant of your PC i still reckonmend a name brand 380w+ PSU whether it be Antec or Enermex or another brand completely. Buying cheap no name PSUs will just bring you hassles in the future, but theres no need to buy a 500w monster either.

george12
26-11-2004, 05:58 PM
> All of you people need to go do some research about PSU's (with the exception of Metla) theres far more to a PSU than the wattage. You need to take into account the quality and the current on each of the rails. Also things like the number of fans and how noisy they are can be important to some people. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Quite a few people here are very knowledgable about PSUs, and I would doubt if anybody here would take just the wattage into account. As I have said numerous times before, I have seen power supplys of the same wattage, where on can produce double the current of another.

> Mcpisik if i was you i wouldnt turn that PC on again untill i got a decent PSU, any 200w PSU regardless of brand would struggle, if not dies trying to power your PC. Your risking all your hardware by using that PSU. (That is unless its a shuttle PSU used in their SFF). I would reckonmend a 380w good brand PSU for your system, it will give you a lil head room to add more at a later date aswell.

Agreed.

> George your continual pimping of your own sub standard services and parts is getting annoying.

MY own sub standard services - it's bloody Dick Smiths, not that the shop matters. I always try to use other shops as references so as to avoid being accused of advertising. When did I ever refer to it being mine?

> Your PSU may have served you well but from what ive seen you run cellery with intergrated graphics not exactly a demanding system.

Well yes, one of my computers is a Celeron, but none have integrated graphics:O.... The Celeron has a 9600SE. Other systems include P4 3.2Ghz, 9800Pro, one 120GB hard drive - and an AMD 2800+, 9600Pro.

> Such a PSU would not be suitable as the original poster has a higher spec system, they also have a much higher budget so why not fully ultilize the budget to get the best possible.

Yes I agree with that - in his case. However other people who have lower specced systems do not IMO need > $100 power supplies etc.

You REALLY hate me Pete don't you? It seems every time you reply to a post of mine it is trying to take down every last thing I say.

Cheers George

george12
26-11-2004, 06:01 PM
> I buy a Leaf 400W power supply, for $27 wholesale (sell it for $59)

OK I get where one could assume that meant I sold it. I just meant, I buy it cheaply - as in it is a very cost effective option for me. The "Sell it for $59" was referring to the retail price at your random everyday shop - in this case Dick Smiths.

I must be clearer in ensuring nobody mistakes something for my products in future.

Cheers George

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok now im scared. I'm up for buying the power supply straight away. If I give the details of my mobo, could someone tell me how to tell if it will fit in a new case and what to look for in the new case?
OR...how to know if the new bigger psu will fit in my case before I get one sent in the post?
I'm lost and afraid in the dark! :O

Growly
26-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Somewhat off topic - but the stability of the voltage coming into my motherboard would have been less of a worry, had I had my 6 phase 7NNXP...

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Here are the details of my mobo if anyone can help with choosing a new case or a new psu:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 12/11/2002-i845G-W627-6A69VM4WC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6577

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4267 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International

noone
26-11-2004, 06:59 PM
there are two plugs on the mobo that plugs from the psu will connect into the 12v one for the CPU and the one for the mobo. The psu these days will normally be 20 pin or 24 pin ( for newer cpu's etc ) , if you have a 20 pin psu and a 24 pin connector on your mobo you can get a converter. That info ^ doesnt really give any info but normally a diagram of your mobo or you just counting the number of pins of your mobo

noone
26-11-2004, 07:01 PM
will give the info you need. As with all things the more you pay you better and how others have stressed when coming to PSU's this does matter.

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks noone. :-)
Didn't think the info I gave looked very relevant.
I'll do what u suggest and open her up...

Nighthawk
26-11-2004, 07:25 PM
WEIGH THEM!!!!!!! havier better

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 07:37 PM
that one went over my head and landed in the ocean, sorry...?

mejobloggs
26-11-2004, 07:42 PM
So enermax is the way to go with power supplies?

noone
26-11-2004, 08:01 PM
thats what everyone says - i will tell you soon ordering my 420w one tomorrow

Pete O\'Neil
26-11-2004, 08:10 PM
> You REALLY hate me Pete don't you? It seems every
> time you reply to a post of mine it is trying to take
> down every last thing I say.
Dont be silly george its more of a slight dislike, i wouldnt use harsh words like "hate", and thats only because i think you talk out of a hole in the side of your head sometimes.

noone
26-11-2004, 08:10 PM
was surfing around overclockers forum and i found this

http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14881

(pressf1 is still where my heart is when it comes to forums)

Mcpisik
26-11-2004, 09:44 PM
> was surfing around overclockers forum and i found
> this
>
> http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&thr
> adid=14881
>
> (pressf1 is still where my heart is when it comes to
> forums)

I'll go do some reading! I've taken out the vid card and put my old mx440 back in, in the mean time. (doesn't require the 300w psu)
My mobo turned out to be 20pin (if that's how u put it), so thanx for that input. I'll be able to do some shopping now. Jeez, what a week for courier deliveries! Lovin it! Is Monday the day for your tv tuner? That'll be a long weekend of waiting if it is. Enjoy! Thanks for the link... B-)

i-gordon
26-11-2004, 10:22 PM
As I have said
> numerous times before, I have seen power supplys of
> the same wattage, where on can produce double the
> current of another.

Current = Amps

Watts = Amps x Volts
Double the current with the same wattage. Wow !!!

george12
26-11-2004, 10:37 PM
> Current = Amps

> Watts = Amps x Volts
> Double the current with the same wattage. Wow !!!

I know this well. But power supply makers use various tricks to get their "Wattage rating".

If you add up the amps X volts of each rail on a crap power supply, you will find it gets to about 3/4 of the claimed wattage. But on a semi-decent to decent PSU the added-up number will by far exceed the rating.

So you are correct - this actually means that the power supply is:

Double the wattage with the same """"Wattage""""".

Cheers George

i-gordon
26-11-2004, 10:48 PM
>
> Double the wattage with the same """"Wattage""""".
>
> Cheers George

I knew there had to be a simple explanation.

I know what you mean. I'm an Electrical Engineer. (retired) I could'nt resist the temptation for a dig.

Nighthawk
27-11-2004, 10:29 AM
for people in auckland you could try the computer lounge
they have a good range of psu's and they even have the new
sparkle geforce 6600GT AGP card for $380+gst

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=23

which psu do u think's besty here? for reasonable price..... i was thinking 430W antec psu for $150, but theres a 480W quiet one for $175
hmmmmmm

noone
27-11-2004, 12:21 PM
im actually expecting 3 couriers this week , ( how exciting ) , i ordered my power supply and tv capture card from ascent so they will be coming and a new neon light for my rig - yay. 20 Pin mobo plugs are more common and most power supplies are 20 pin so you should not find it hard to find a suitable power supply , the one i bought from ascent for $170 is a 20 pin and will work on your mobo ( http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=144941 ).

noone
27-11-2004, 12:36 PM
nighthawk i would go for the Enermax 420W Noisetaker Speed Adjustable, SATA connector ( $178) , after reading this brand does seem to pop up all the time to be the best , the thing i like about these after reading is the duel 12v rail , which is sure to keep any computer going.

Nighthawk
28-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Ahh no need. halflife 2 runs perfect on my geforce 5200! so im gona forget about upgrading for a while :P

Raikyn
28-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Thats what I used to think before I upgraded. Now it's high-res and highest quality settings all the way B-)

noone
28-11-2004, 09:50 PM
the more you pay the more you get

Raikyn
28-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Good choice on the Enermax 420W. Will be plently for your needs.
My 480W was probably a bit of overkill but I have a good graphics card and am thinking of upgrading to socket 939 + something early next year.

noone
28-11-2004, 10:31 PM
yeah im glad i asked here or else i could have got myself some crap psu , i think for the while a 420 is enough for me , i will probably get a new computer before the time comes to change it

george12
28-11-2004, 10:35 PM
And the great thing about a really decent PSU like Enermax is that it will most likely last through several PC's, unlike the cheap crappy ones, which you will just chuck out with your old PC (or when it dies, whichever comes first).

Cheers George

noone
28-11-2004, 10:43 PM
not with PCI express - need a new psu / ram ( most prob ) / mobo / possibly cpu / poss vga

dvdzonenz
05-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I have a power supply that retails for 259 $. I would swap or sell it much cheaper. its a CRS 400 Watt, dual fan. Intel/AMD certified. it has P4 and P9 connectors too.

SurferJoe46
05-04-2006, 04:31 AM
I went ENERMAX Coolergiant VHB 480W for my SOYO m/b, with

Athlon XP O/C to 2.8
4 200g RAID 0+1 matching Maxtors,
4 200g JBODs matching Maxtors,
2 200g on seperate EIDE card, mismatched SCSI's,
40g for the root drive,
2 DVD-RW's, SONY Dual Layered,
GForce GF O/C 5500,
and Creative SB,

Have 2 external () USB hubs, dynamic, no PSU load
2 IOMEGA zippers...
USB optical mouse...
some cool lighting in the case and side window....
11 fans.....(removed the water set-up)
Memorex FB Scanner....
and twin Canon printers......

All start at boot and run well......plenty of leftover watts, and stable beyond belief. I think I have a pretty big load here, more than most people run.

BTW: all the drives are for videos and music files....I collect them. I do not play games...except for once in a while; Spider Solitaire from M$.

I cannot say enough good stuff about ENERMAX.....

Trev
05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Why do people resurrect old posts.

Trevor :)

SurferJoe46
05-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Why do people resurrect old posts.

Trevor :)

....because I found it in my mailbox this morning and saw a recent question...that's why.....