PDA

View Full Version : Restocking fee?

flotus
25-11-2004, 12:29 PM
I recently bought a PCI TV card from a strore. I wasn't happy with the quality, so I returned it for a refund. They now tell me that all returned parts are charged 25% "restocking fee". Is this normal? Fair?

wintertide
25-11-2004, 12:33 PM
That's normal, and it seems fair to me as they had to order more stock to replace what was bought by a customer...

Murray P
25-11-2004, 12:45 PM
If the goods had a fault, where not up to a standard represented by the store or marketing material (not fit for purpose) you can expect a refund or rplacement without charge.

If you have simply had second thoughts about your purchase, then it is fair that they place a cost on restocking and having goods that are now 2nd hand.

oggy
25-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Consumer Guarantees Act (?) says you are entitled to a full refund if the product was not as described or not of merchantable quality. Depends on why it didn't measure up to expectation I suppose.
What happens if the salesperson gave incorrect advice which steered the customer in the wrong direction?
Also, from an accounting perspective, 'returned goods' ultimately end up as a tax deduction so they recover some money that way.