PDA

View Full Version : Is AVG any good

warp
25-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I use the free version of AVG anti virus and keep it regularly updated but have always wondered about the quality of free anti virus software.
Is AVG any good or can someone recommend a better alternative? ?:|

Thanks

Murray P
25-11-2004, 11:05 AM
It's one of the best free AV software around, some claim better than a good number of the paid ones. It should be adequaye for most peoples needs. Personaly I prefer NOD32 (it costs $) on this machine but use AVG free on another.

For best security, also use Spybot S&D, Adaware and a firewall like Kerio, Outpost or Zone Alarm.

Pheonix
25-11-2004, 11:15 AM
There are 2 sites who test AV products, and have a good standing in the AV community.

Here (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/tests.xml?200406) is the VB100% results for WinXP.

Also the ICSA (http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certification/certprod.shtml) passes.

AVG (Grisoft) has achieved in both, so no need to worry about those free AV programs.

Smurf
25-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree with those who have already replied. I believe AVG to be a very good antivirus programme that together with an adequate firewall such as Kerio or Zone Alarm should provide the user with a good deal of protection from the nasties out there. I have not the problem that some people have with AVG 7 and email. On the machine that I run AVG 7 I have Win 98 Second edition installed togther with Zone Alarm(free version).

gerrypics
25-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Just for piece of mind what ever av you use run a couple of online scans.

Housecall : http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp
Panda: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Most av's kept up to date are good, but the main av is always you.

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 08:29 AM
I used to have AVG but I found a freebie that is much better:
Avast! Antivirus.

Go to:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home2.html

The user interface is better than AVG, but more importantly it is rated better in virus detection. It will also scan 'alternative' email platforms, e.g. Pegasus Mail, in and out-going mail.

I wonder why more people have not discovered Avast??

pulling hair out
26-11-2004, 09:33 AM
>>The user interface is better than AVG, but more importantly it is rated better in virus detection. It will also scan 'alternative' email platforms, e.g. Pegasus Mail, in and out-going mail.

Hi Steve L, can you tell me if it scans all-coming and outgoing emails from Outlook Express and Hotmail, and if the fact that it scans actually shows up on the Email?

I'm on AVG6 at the moment and I don't think I want to go through all the problems that come with AVG7. It was a great program and found AVG6 really good. What made you rate Avast as tops for you? I have to make a decision soon.

Cheers, Marg.

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 09:53 AM
> can you tell me if it scans all-coming and outgoing emails from Outlook Express and Hotmail, and if the fact that it scans actually shows up on the Email?

Yes yes - it scans all email platforms. Not sure if it 'stamps' outgoing mail as being scanned.

I like the interface better, and as I stated above, it is rated better at finding viruses. Download it and give it a try. You can run both AVG and Avast at the same time.

Murray P
26-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I tried Avast before trying NOD32 which I ended up buying.

I found Avast very good but had problems with it's stability and the amount of resources it used (I have 512MB of ram), it was also a real sod to uninstall although, that's not unusual for an AV programme. The issues were probably specific to my system but very annoying just the same, especially as I liked the look and feel and functionality of programme and had high hopes for it.

pulling hair out
26-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks Steve and Murray.

Will give it a go. Also read some other user comments on a download site and they sounded pretty positiive.

As for uninstalling, Nortons was the worst one for me. Otherwise no problems.
I'm only on 512mb ram so hope it doesn't hog too much. Mind you, I've noticed Firefox getting pretty greedy on that account.

Cheers, Marg.

Neil McC
26-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Like Murray I used Avast till I bought Nod32,and was happy with it.

Steve_L
26-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Nod 32 is a primo 1st class AV. The last I researched AVs, it was tops all round for virus detection.

Nortons is %$#@*&%$.

The uninstall feature on Avast has worked perfectly for me.

Remember that Avast is free. Nod32 costs.

warp
26-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information about AVG and anti virus alternatives, it's good to know that AVG is worth having.

Greg S
26-11-2004, 11:27 PM
> Thanks to everyone for the information about AVG and
> anti virus alternatives, it's good to know that AVG
> is worth having.

Good feedback, and I'll just throw in that I concur - I've never been infected with a virus, and AVG has detected a couple of potentials in the last couple of years that I've used it. Updates are easy and regular.

Rob99
26-11-2004, 11:41 PM
I have used AVG to fix over 5000 infected files on one laptop. AVG is fantastic. But if I come across more than a few infected files, I would run the Stinger as well.

metla
26-11-2004, 11:43 PM
5000 infected files?

Were there any files on the comp that werent infected?

I would have been tempted to encase it in lead and drop it in a deep part of the ocean.

Rob99
26-11-2004, 11:49 PM
99% of the files were in the system32 folder, the computer is still running sweet after the clean up a couple of months ago.